Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas blocking EV spots and not charging in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Post pics here.

I'll start. This Model 3 was at free public L2 J1772 only charging tonight, blocking an EV spot, not charging and didn't have their J1772 adapter inserted. This location ONLY has 8 J1772 EVSEs. There are NO other EVSEs nor DC chargers there and NO Tesla wall connectors nor anything w/Tesla connectors.

At the time I arrived, all EV spots were taken except one, where I parked at the end (away from this car). By the time I plugged my car in, that made all 8 plugs in use. This guy is preventing others from queuing up or using a plug if a car finishes, since the spaces were all full. Most of the other cars in the spots were charging.

Please don't do this! Please tell anyone you know who has recently gotten an EV or PHEV to not do this. We can't open their charging door. We don't have extra J1772 adapters lying around. There was no contact info on the car.

A note was left on the car explaining to them the situation and that is is OK to queue up by inserting one's J1772 adapter (which remains locked to the car). I would've plugged them in and started a session for them, if I could.

I arrived a bit before 9:50 pm. When I left at ~11:30 pm, the blocker was still there.

Attached pic of signage clearly visible from the blocker 3.
IMG_7982.jpgIMG_7988.jpg

Tesla MS blocking a public charger (1/2) in New England this weekend not charging. So disappointed to see - it’s worse than being iced. So i left a note and was glad to see the car moved over a spot when I returned hours later.
A public service reminder to be courteous and use common sense not to park an EV at a charging stall if you don’t need to charge - regardless if there are other parking spaces available (which there were).

Reactions: cwerdna
In about 6 months you won't have to worry about those chargers any more. Tesla is installing Superchargers less than a mile away.
Supercharger - South San Jose (5160 Cherry Ave, construction started Aug 2018)
Hah. But for those w/o free Supercharging, they will still likely come to the water district to charge for free.

Unfortunately, I recently spoke to a water district employee waiting another worker to come out and move their car. They told me there are plans to replace those EVSEs and charging will be paid, not free. :( Oh well. I guess I can't complain too much. Have been using those free L2 EVSEs on some Fridays, weekends and days off for over 5 years now.

Reactions: Russell