Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Charging Woes: Why I'm Ditching It for Long-Distance Travel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently traveled over 500 miles in a Tesla and had a disappointing experience. The constant need to stop and charge (5-6 times!) made the trip far more time-consuming than expected. I also had to worry about the availability of charging stations, adding unnecessary stress to the journey. For example, on the I-90 NYS Thruway between Albany and Niagara Falls, it was impossible to enjoy rest stops with my family. We had to factor in charging time after each break, which meant spending more time waiting around than actually relaxing. Each charging session took at least 20 minutes, adding a significant amount of time to our overall travel time.

To avoid this hassle in the future, I've decided to purchase a used $5000 Prius for long-distance trips. While the Tesla offers a comfortable ride, the frequent and lengthy charging stops are simply not practical for me. With the Prius, I can make one quick stop at a rest area, fill up the tank for $40, and be on my way without any further interruptions. There's no need to wait around at charging stations or worry about detours to find them. On my Tesla trip, I spent 6x20-minutes charging, not including the additional time spent searching for and navigating to Superchargers.

I understand that some people may have had better experiences with Tesla road trips, but for me, the inconvenience of constant charging outweighs the benefits. I believe a used Prius is a more practical and efficient option for long-distance travel.

Am I understanding 6 charging stops for just over a 500 mile trip?

Does not compute. 550 miles divided by 6 means you were stopping to charge every 92 miles or so. Definitely NOT typical.

If a Prius works better for you, by all means go for it. EV's are not for everybody, but your scenario requires a bit more of an explanation.
Why do you need to question? I only charge from 21% to 50% charge to use the quicker charging time....otherwise you'll wait about 30 minutes to 40 minutes at a charging site?

Car can go ideally 220 miles real world range. Road isn't ideal. I had this car since day one from Nov. 2017. The rated range is not the same as real driving range. I wouldn't trust it.

I recently traveled over 500 miles in a Tesla and had a disappointing experience. The constant need to stop and charge (5-6 times!) made the trip far more time-consuming than expected. I also had to worry about the availability of charging stations, adding unnecessary stress to the journey. For example, on the I-90 NYS Thruway between Albany and Niagara Falls, it was impossible to enjoy rest stops with my family. We had to factor in charging time after each break, which meant spending more time waiting around than actually relaxing. Each charging session took at least 20 minutes, adding a significant amount of time to our overall travel time.

To avoid this hassle in the future, I've decided to purchase a used $5000 Prius for long-distance trips. While the Tesla offers a comfortable ride, the frequent and lengthy charging stops are simply not practical for me. With the Prius, I can make one quick stop at a rest area, fill up the tank for $40, and be on my way without any further interruptions. There's no need to wait around at charging stations or worry about detours to find them. On my Tesla trip, I spent 6x20-minutes charging, not including the additional time spent searching for and navigating to Superchargers.

I understand that some people may have had better experiences with Tesla road trips, but for me, the inconvenience of constant charging outweighs the benefits. I believe a used Prius is a more practical and efficient option for long-distance travel.
Nothing about this post is accurate. Least of all your statement that a $5,000 Prius is going to make your road trip experiences better. Your life and your money so you're welcome to do whatever you want. Just don't come on here evangelizing this decision as if there's something wrong with the rest of us because we haven't arrived at the same conclusion.

Nothing about this post is accurate. Least of all your statement that a $5,000 Prius is going to make your road trip experiences better. Your life and your money so you're welcome to do whatever you want. Just don't come on here evangelizing this decision as if there's something wrong with the rest of us because we haven't arrived at the same conclusion.
OMG! lol...Did I attack someone?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
OMG! lol...Did I attack someone?
Only those with common sense who can easily read through your BS. You CHOSE to stop 5-6 times because you certainly didn't NEED to stop even half that many times to cover 500 miles. Coming in here trying to make it seem like Teslas are unbearable for road trips reads like a bot trying to pad its post count with outdated & charged statements.

I actually find it easier to stop and charge on trips that are less than 400 miles. I can plug in, then head inside to use the bathroom, order/eat food, and then get on my way in 20-30 minutes. It's rare that I'm waiting for the car. In my gas truck, I'd stop to fill up (5-6 minutes) and then move the truck, get food, and get on my way. My 2015 was a bit more of a hassle since it charged slower and had less range, but the 2019 is very good, and the newer cars are even better.

OP, what were your start and destination? I'd be curious to see what ABRP says about recommended charging stops.

Why do you need to question? I only charge from 21% to 50% charge to use the quicker charging time....otherwise you'll wait about 30 minutes to 40 minutes at a charging site?

Car can go ideally 220 miles real world range. Road isn't ideal. I had this car since day one from Nov. 2017. The rated range is not the same as real driving range. I wouldn't trust it.

Without comment...

53810347621_fc04e8a17c_c.jpg

I love to 💩 on Tesla, but there is no way you had to stop 5-6 times to charge? Did your battery really degrade that much?

I love to 💩 on Tesla, but there is no way you had to stop 5-6 times to charge? Did your battery really degrade that much?
I am from VT, I had to places before I even reached the Albany NYS I-90 thruway. The I-90 thruway stops were outside of the rest stop area. Recurrent showed I have about 219 range.

If I don't stop to charge at the super charger, I would be limited in terms of my path if I wanted to reach my destination quickly. And, many times at the stops in the I-90, on weekdays, there's less than 4 vacant slot at many times during the day. I can imagine, weekends can be even worse.

You should charge to 100% before you go and then to 100% one more time. That's 1 stop. Not sure why you only charge up to 50%. Why would you not use HALF of your battery?

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
You should charge to 100% before you go and then to 100% one more time. That's 1 stop. Not sure why you only charge up to 50%. Why would you not use HALF of your battery?
charging to 100% takes longer to charge from 90%-100%. You will wait 30 minutes more to charge fro 95% to 100%.

Charging from 20% to 50% gets you 100 miles or so for 20 minutes of charging....but higher than that, it slows the rate of charge.

Just drove 750 miles in one day, starting at 30%, and stopped six times, with the longest stop being 18 minutes. Also climbed from zero elevation, up to 7500 feet.

Not sure what's missing in this story at all.

The only thing that you are missing is that the OPs post is doing exactly what they planned on it doing.

charging to 100% takes longer to charge from 90%-100%. You will wait 30 minutes more to charge fro 95% to 100%
So what? It's a 1 time thing. Or charge to 90% or whatever will get you to your destination. Maybe stop to eat lunch while you are charging or go see a site. A lot of these charging stations have stuff like that around them. Stopping 5 to 6 times is not the way to go on a 500 mile trip. That much I know.