Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas in Canadian Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SR=standard range
i am asking to see for Vancouver winter, how much range loss should i be looking at? I drive from as little as 25-60km a day

when you pick up your car supercharge it first before going home. We got X with 80% charge and didn't think to charge it before going home.
We drove a lot that day and didn't have a charger installed yet. Its really slow charging but will do for day to day driving. You may have to visit supercharger once in a while if you do more driving than usual

What’s the SR Model @spurs10 ?

With the 120V connection I see 5 to 6 km/h of charging. Do the math on that to see if it suits your needs.

Caveat: you will get LESS charging per hour in cold temperatures. The battery pack needs to be heated because it can't charge if it is tool cold (in fact if cold enough, you get NO charging). Unless your car is in a heated garage, I would strongly recommend 220V.

Caveat: you will get LESS charging per hour in cold temperatures. The battery pack needs to be heated because it can't charge if it is tool cold (in fact if cold enough, you get NO charging). Unless your car is in a heated garage, I would strongly recommend 220V.

True, thanks for the addendum Doug. “Winter” isn’t really a thing on the west coast but I did experience what you mention above when we were in -26 temps around Kamloops.

I am in Vancouver and I am planning to just charge the car via 110v outlet.
I am planning to get the SR and worry about not enough range available in winter.
Can current owner chip in on how much actual range i will get with SR model for Vancouver winter?
I charge my MS 70D (rated range 386km) with a 120V/15A outlet at home in an unheated/uninsulated detached garage here in Vancouver. I get a pretty consistent +6km/hr rated range charging at home, year-round even in winter. Looking back in my logs I don't think I've ever seen a charge rate of less than about +5.5km rated range on even the coldest nights.

I usually have overnight charge scheduled in the middle of the night (i.e. often a cold battery). The winter weather here is mild enough that it isn't a factor on home charge-rate, based on my past 3 winters' experience. Of course it will depend on your own daily mileage requirement, and yes during winter conditions you WILL consume more energy driving than usual. But 120V charging is enough for my low daily mileage - on average I drive about 40km/day, and usually only have my overnight charge set to about 65-70% but never have to worry about range for local in-town driving.

I charge my MS 70D (rated range 386km) with a 120V/15A outlet at home in an unheated/uninsulated detached garage here in Vancouver. I get a pretty consistent +6km/hr rated range charging at home, year-round even in winter. Looking back in my logs I don't think I've ever seen a charge rate of less than about +5.5km rated range on even the coldest nights.

I usually have overnight charge scheduled in the middle of the night (i.e. often a cold battery). The winter weather here is mild enough that it isn't a factor on home charge-rate, based on my past 3 winters' experience. Of course it will depend on your own daily mileage requirement, and yes during winter conditions you WILL consume more energy driving than usual. But 120V charging is enough for my low daily mileage - on average I drive about 40km/day, and usually only have my overnight charge set to about 65-70% but never have to worry about range for local in-town driving.

Very helpful info. So there isn’t much range loss in winter? When you start the car in the morning, how much range is available in the winter?

Unless the pack is extremely cold you will not see any power loss per se.

At highway speeds the largest impact on range is aerodynamic losses. Air gets denser when it is colder. In extreme cold you can see 20% to 30% range reduction.

In addition there is the impact of heating. Electric heaters are used for the pack and for the cabin. Combined at full power it can be something like 11 kW. As the car warms up that gets significantly reduced. In fact once the pack is fully warmed up it usually takes ~ 1 kW to keep the cabin warm even in very cold conditions. (The explanation, I have learned, is that having a warm pack under your feet helps keep the cabin warm.)

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
First of, hello!

Mods, if this isn't the right place to post this, let me know and I'll delete and repost.

I'm a soon to be Model 3 owner, but before I go and order, just wanted to wonder if you guys had any complaints regarding Teslas in our Canadian weather?
I would suggest waiting for AWD. While you can get by reasonably well with RWD and winter tires 90% of the time during the winter, I would still wait.

RWD is slower in the wet
RWD is slower in the snow
RWD is far more likely to get stuck in heavy snow (rare occurrence, but a right PITA when it happens)
AWD is faster in every situation and handles far more impressively...the Tesla AWD software is quite effective
AWD resale will be considerably higher and more 'liquid' up here

The RWD Model 3 with the big battery is still going to be great and will still perform nicely. I would just say that people didn't really got too excited about Teslas before they started making them AWD...then the world took notice when the P85D burst onto the scene. There's a reason for that...the combo of electric motor instatorque and great traction makes the car one of the most interesting cars on the road. Lots of fun and ultra capable in all situations.

• Disagree
Reactions: noicepls
I would suggest waiting for AWD. While you can get by reasonably well with RWD and winter tires 90% of the time during the winter, I would still wait.

RWD is slower in the wet
RWD is slower in the snow
RWD is far more likely to get stuck in heavy snow (rare occurrence, but a right PITA when it happens)
AWD is faster in every situation and handles far more impressively...the Tesla AWD software is quite effective
AWD resale will be considerably higher and more 'liquid' up here

The RWD Model 3 with the big battery is still going to be great and will still perform nicely. I would just say that people didn't really got too excited about Teslas before they started making them AWD...then the world took notice when the P85D burst onto the scene. There's a reason for that...the combo of electric motor instatorque and great traction makes the car one of the most interesting cars on the road. Lots of fun and ultra capable in all situations.

The OP is not in a snow belt and has not asked for advice regarding SR and LR choices.