Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Photos from Used Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

So, I just down the $100 deposit for a 2016 P90D. They sent me some images of the car, but the photos they provide seem to contain a lot of glare. So, I'm uncertain if there is any physical damage or surface blemishes on the vehicle. Here are a few examples. Overall, I want to say the exterior is in good condition. My question is, during the final walk-thru and inspection, can paint touch-ups be added to the due-bill? If I am not satisfied with the overall care of the car, can I refuse to take ownership without losing the $2K shipping fee and apply it to another car? Any details you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Tesla 2019-11-14.jpg
    Tesla 2019-11-14.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Tesla 2019-11-14_2.jpg
    Tesla 2019-11-14_2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Tesla 2019-11-14_3.jpg
    Tesla 2019-11-14_3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Tesla 2019-11-14_4.jpg
    Tesla 2019-11-14_4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Tesla 2019-11-14_5.jpg
    Tesla 2019-11-14_5.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 109
to be honest, people like you ARE the problem. Why are you even trying to complain here? Why the hell are you buying a car that you have no idea what condition it’s in? Tell Tesla to f off and save that money for a smarter investment. Is the feeling of being cool/hip/planet saver/different really this important? Maybe if people stopped buying these cars through this idiotic process, Tesla would come to its senses and start selling these cars the proper way.

This is mind blowing.

Well that was helpful and constructive :)

To answer your question, most cosmetic blemishes (unless clearly hidden in the photos) will not be addressed. To be honest, the car looks fine. Take your time at delivery and go over the entire car. You can ask for any items you see to be added to the due bill but no guarantees (really depends on the service center).

Remember that you are buying a used car that may have some wear and tear but for the most part, it seems like Tesla does a good job with the cars they are selling.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
to be honest, people like you ARE the problem. Why are you even trying to complain here? Why the hell are you buying a car that you have no idea what condition it’s in? Tell Tesla to f off and save that money for a smarter investment. Is the feeling of being cool/hip/planet saver/different really this important? Maybe if people stopped buying these cars through this idiotic process, Tesla would come to its senses and start selling these cars the proper way.

This is mind blowing.
As opposed to what exactly? Buying private from someone that gets it completely detailed only to find out later on that they beat the living *sugar* out of it and ignored regular maintenance? Or from a dealership that has no knowledge of the actual options, services provided or worse, hides existing accident records? Tesla doesn't force you to but the car if you don't want it, and unlike buying private or outside dealership...extends the warranty either 4 years or 50,000 miles/2 years up to 100k from when you take delivery.

As far as being "cool/hip/planet saver/different" being important, maybe you should tell that to Porsche, BMW, Audi, Benz, VW, Ford, Volvo, Jaguar, etc. who are investing BILLIONS into the technology.

You can come down from the cross now.

I don't think paint touch ups would be included. You have to expect minor damage such as scrapes, paint chips, and possible minor dings on a vehicle that is nearly 4 years used. If the service is similar to Carvana all the defects will be highlighted in a pre-purchase report. You either accept them or find another vehicle. Does Tesla give a grace period on their used vehicles as well; if you are unhappy you can return the vehicle?

I don't think paint touch ups would be included. You have to expect minor damage such as scrapes, paint chips, and possible minor dings on a vehicle that is nearly 4 years used. If the service is similar to Carvana all the defects will be highlighted in a pre-purchase report. You either accept them or find another vehicle. Does Tesla give a grace period on their used vehicles as well; if you are unhappy you can return the vehicle?
I think they do (7 days maybe) but I'm unclear about the $2000 fee if shipped.

Still not sure why people like @darxsys choose to reply with such vitriol to a simple request for input. Spread love (or simply stfu).

In any event, @agonz73 please continue to share your experience of buying used on this forum.

Are you buying through Tesla or a 3rd part? I am looking to purchase from a 3rd-party dealer not connected to Tesla. I am curious to learn more about the process. Just on this forum, I have read many stories of the issues plaguing those who have chosen to buy direct from Tesla. It seems like unless buying brand new (which I am not), it seems like trying 3rd party sellers is currently the lesser of two evils when buying used. Either way, I'd be interested to hear more about your experience.

Obviously, each circumstance will be different and unique for each buyer. However, I am willing to learn and hopefully avoid any unnecessary hiccups in the process. The MS you posted pics of looks like a few I've been watching too.

When I buy I am planning to drive to the location to see and test drive the car before purchase. Is this something you are planning to do as well?

Thanks for any input you are willing to share.

For most part cosmetically it's take it or leave it. With that being said, my service center was willing to do touchup paint around the car during my cpo delivery.

I believe the delivery fee is lost if you do not want the vehicle unless something was grossly ignored in photos. I had a vehicle I that I flew out to pickup from Tesla but the interior had water damage all over leather seats that were not shown in images. They couldn't fix the car but agreed to ship me a different vehicle free of charge.

That first comment had me laughing. Thanks for that.

Anyways, I haven't paid the $2K fee, and probably won't pay until I see the car in person. Thanks for all the replies, as you can see this is my first Tesla purchase so alot of this is new to me. Last few days I've been up reading a lot of posts about do's and don'ts and other people's previous experiences.

@PhysicsIsReal I'm buying through Tesla's used inventory. I want that peace of mind knowing that I have full warranty for at least another 50K miles/4yrs should anything go wrong with the car. I advise that you do the same. You won't get warranty from the dealership or private party unless you inherit a vehicle that still has warranty left on the car. Plus, dealerships and private parties tend to mark up their cars at least by 5-8K more than what Tesla sells them for. I've been on the market for the past month, and I finally decided to pull the trigger. One thing that I've experienced so far with Tesla and their reps is that there is no urgency for them to respond to you. So if you go this route, prepare yourself for a long ride. I fortunately, am in no rush. I'm letting things happen as they may, but my questions to my assigned advisor, and shipping coordinator tend to not get acknowledged until after my 2nd or 3rd follow up. The system is obviously broken or their understaffed. Who knows.

Reactions: ZappCatt
@froggy3132000 Congrats on your Tesla. I hope all goes well! Well, I'm glad it can take up to a month because I didn't factor in the $2K for shipping when I clicked on BUY haha so that gives me a few weeks to come up with the remaining funds. :p

I ordered on 11/11, and these last 4 days seem like an eternity so far. :) My car is coming from Atlanta, GA. Does anyone know if Tesla is pretty flexible when it comes to scheduling for the final inspection/pay-off?

You guys are lucky you can wait and pay after seeing the car. In the states where Tesla is not allowed direct sales (Texas :mad:) you have to pay the whole balance before the car crosses state lines. I have no idea what happens if I have to refuse delivery. For now I'm hoping as hard as I can that it'll be as clean as the pics show.

I'm 8 days since placing the order. Time slowed down.

Tesla will typically focus on blemishes with one of those plastic rulers, I'm not saying it happens all the time but Ive seen pictures where they're adding additional pictures focusing on the blemish.

Yep, mine has a couple pics with those rulers. Nothing major or anything that I can't take care of. I hope there are no other things which are not shown.

Screenshot_2.jpg

My car is coming from Atlanta, GA. Does anyone know if Tesla is pretty flexible when it comes to scheduling for the final inspection/pay-off?

Somewhat but because they do not have a lot of storage space for cars at the service center, they will want the car picked up within 48-72 hours of its arrival at the service center but there is some wiggle room. For example, my first Tesla arrived at the delivery center on a Monday and I made arrangements to pick it up that Friday and they were fine with that.

For the final inspection, they may not allow you to look over the car until you sign the paperwork (again depends on the service center). My first Model S, the car was outside and I was able to locate it and walk around it before I even went inside to do the paperwork. My second Model S, we did the paperwork right in front of the car and the delivery advisor allowed me to check the car out before signing.