Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's Software To-Do List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW and GM have both announced full support for CarPlay and Android Auto. Not only does this solve most of our complaints with the infotainment system, it deflects all the frustration with those systems to Apple and Google so Tesla can focus on what is really their unique value add. It makes no sense for Tesla to spend s/w engineering effort on matching infotainment features just to check a box for "gapless play".

Does Elon really want to be positioned as playing catch up to GM? Just adopt the Apple and Google solutions.

Everytime I report an issue or send a recommendation to Tesla (perhaps 5-6 times a year for 3 years) I've included this as well. So annoying (even rock n roll albums like Pink Floyd have these huge abrupt gaps between songs that shouldn't be there -- ruins it). Continues to bug me ever since the first day I got my car nearly 3 years ago.

If it bothers you that much, you can put the entire album into a single gapless track.

A free software option is Audacity.

I use Audacity to remove junk before and after songs in live tracks (crowd cheering, shouting song requests, drivel talk by performers). I don't know why they include this extra crap.

I think all Tesla's efforts from here forward are going to be refining Autopilot reliability on poorly marked roads, building the next generation of autonomous driving hardware/software - and figuring out how the hell to ramp Model 3 production.
But surely they have some folks working on specific parts of the car's UI that don't relate to Autopilot. One decent programmer could easily handle several of the annoyances listed in this thread, plus updating the browser to something more functional.

Not sure if these were mentioned:

• Link the selected paired phone to the selected profile
  • Allow full control of the AC from the phone app, including the cold weather options and the rear AC on the model X
  • Link the auto presenting driver door to the key fob (on for one, off for the other). Model X feature I know

CAMERAS

Use the camera suite on HW2 cars to provide built-in dash cam capabilities. I'm confident that the new processor is capable of processing video from the front and/or rear cameras and storing it in the vehicle's storage, which can then be accessed via the mobile app for download or sending to the authorities in the case of an accident or theft.

I'm about to take delivery of a S60D and I was hoping to avoid the headache of selecting and installing a dash cam, particularly when the car already has 8 cameras built-in!

Sadly, I made this same suggestion some weeks back, and it was pointed out that the current camera suite is specialized for AP purposes -- and sees in B&W and red (for red light detection) and would not provide the sort of images expected of a dashcam system. You can read about this in other threads...