Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drive & Buying model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to test drive a model 3 (long range) and potentially put a deposit in for purchase within a week after that. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and seems like it will definitely be a good purchase to replace my Lexus.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has any negotiation tactics when it comes to purchase of a tesla in Aus. Say something like a discounted offer on demo car (although it might not be available in Aus right now) or ask the sales person to give me a demo car for a few days before cooling off period to make sure I'm 100% happy. Even better if anyone has experience in getting discounts on car price.

I understand Tesla is not a typical car manufacturer to give discounts, etc. but any input here would help.

You cannot negotiate any type of discount. Elon wouldn't give his brother one, so he is not about to give anyone else one. Lindsay Fox tried once and afaik does not own a Tesla because he was rejected.
You can buy an inventory vehicle at less than regular price, but whatever price is offered is fixed (unless further discounted at Tesla's discretion - not because anyone asks).
If you get a referral code before you buy, you can get whatever Tesla is offering at that time as a referral bonus - currently some free supercharging worth around $100.
Once you test drive an M3, you won't want to drive your Lexus anymore and a discount will be the last thing you will thinking about before you sign on the dotted line.

It's great to see some passionate responses.

Understood regarding the price negotiation, perhaps I will ask the showroom to give me a demo car for a week after putting a deposit to fully understand the car and continue with purchase.

These cars in Aus definitely aren't cheap. I get the dollar conversion, shipping cost and tax we pay here adds up to it. That's why the mind starts thinking about incentives, perks, discounts, etc. to compensate. Anyone if willing to share some trade secrets to get some of these can also PM me. :p

But I really appreciate everyone's honest feedback here and passion towards this car manufacturer. It at least tells that I will certainly get a great welcome & phenomenal support if I become part of this community.

Reactions: Hairyman
perhaps I will ask the showroom to give me a demo car for a week after putting a deposit to fully understand the car and continue with purchase.
Good luck with that. You may get lucky and wangle one overnight.
These cars in Aus definitely aren't cheap
Depends on your context. For me, it was a 2nd hand Ferrari (debated for a lifetime) or a new Tesla. No brainer, once I test drove and realised that it was the bargain of the century.
Anyone if willing to share some trade secrets
There is none. This cannot be viewed as just a source of transport from A to B. If you want that. you are looking at the wrong product. Once you test drive a Tesla, if you don't get a nagging niggle in your brain (where the only cure is to own one), then a Tesla is not for you.

Aim to purchase at the end of Q1 2020. I got a very good offer on inventory car which didn’t show up on the website. Some model S cars were as low as $108k (I paid a bit more and could save if waited a bit longer)

It was an unusual quarter though as demand collapsed due to no reduction in incentives in the US and hasn’t happened since once demand recovered. But if you are after a bargain, that seems to be the best time.

• Informative
Reactions: Tension