Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test Drove 2022 S LR Yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Bethesda, MD at the Montgomery Mall. I liked the Tesla rep, Jordan, who seemed very knowledgeable. I had to ask for it, but he did walk me through the car's features, then put me in the car and (I am paraphrasing) said see you in 45 minutes. At no time did I feel rushed. It had the 19 inch wheels. Blazing fast. It is beyond me why anyone would to pay for the Plaid, but to each his own. Handling was very good, much better then the S I drove, pre-Covid. The only thing that went wrong was that Jordan (who is apparently new to the Bethesda store) told me that the navigation would take me back to the garage space I left from. I did not. I drove around trying to find it and finally gave up and parked in the regular lot. I am a performance car-guy, but for me the S checks the boxes I need checked. FWIW, Jordan has said he has not had "issues" with the S's he has been involved with. A friend of mine is on his 3rd Tesla and pretty much said the same thing. I get that YMMV. I would consider some of the other electrics, but none of them have the range or the charging network that Tesla has. And I will likely be doing at least some longer trips. Some day the other companies will catch up, but it has not happened yet, at least not at this performance level. Still debating new or used.

The service is still an issue. If you get a good Tesla, there isn't a need for service very often. Tesla is working on the service issues. Since they are selling so many cars, the service capabilities just cannot be expected to service the number of cars on the road, and has been neglected. This should change over the next year or so. A fun car to drive if you don't try to use the automated crap, which generally doesn't work well. I just play with Full Self Driving to provide some feedback for when it fails. I do use the autopilot (dynamic cruise control) for trips on interstates. It works almost OK.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I want the carbon fiber decor, but not sure it's worth the extra cost. :rolleyes:
Obviously not OEM, but you can easily get the same look by having it wrapped. It’s not going to be authentic carbon fiber unless you splurge, but I think it is a good middleground.

Here is one example: 2021+ | Model S & X Full Interior Vinyl Wrap Protection Kit - Goodbye Wood

Could very well be others, I just looked there first due to RPMTesla’s obsession with carbon fiber look.

Obviously not OEM, but you can easily get the same look by having it wrapped. It’s not going to be authentic carbon fiber unless you splurge, but I think it is a good middleground.

Here is one example: 2021+ | Model S & X Full Interior Vinyl Wrap Protection Kit - Goodbye Wood

Could very well be others, I just looked there first due to RPMTesla’s obsession with carbon fiber look.

We swapped the carbon fiber decor from our Plaid and put it into our LR and then sold the Plaid with wood trim.

For the X, we've just ordered the individual carbon fiber parts from Tesla. ;)

Thanks guys! I love my current 2014 P100DL+ too much to trade-up at this time, but if anything ever happens to it, it's good to know the CF decor is an easy fix.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

I actually have the wrap sitting here in my office (since before I got the car). I decided I liked the ebony wood once I saw it in person. I was huge on CF prior and never liked wood before.