Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas and Michigan buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pianewman

2021 MYLR VIN 88,XXX, Rd/Wh, 12/20 delivery
Supporting Member
Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
In the Tesla App "Prepare for Delivery" section, under the "Pre-Delivery Documents and Final Payment" section, is the phrase:

Note: Texas and Michigan customers are required to submit final payment prior to scheduling their delivery appointment due to state restrictions.

Seriously? TX and MI residents have to PAY for their cars PRIOR to even scheduling the delivery appointment?

I'll phone the "Gallery Support Team" on Monday for clarification. This just can't be right.

All true - a manufacturer cannot sell directly to the public in Texas. Very strong franchise dealership organization in Texas. You may remember awhile back the TV commercials about dealerships supporting Little League teams and such.

Some folks do the regular finance thing while a few others pay cash. Either way, you must show that all the money has been paid. You also have to show proof of insurance.

Because Tesla's gallery is not a dealership, they also can't do the usual things a dealership does and pay sales tax and arrange for your new tags. You will have to go to your county tax office to pay the sales tax and buy your tags.

But - it gets crazier. Your new Tesla will also have to me inspected for emissions! (Don't worry -there is a certificate in your paperwork.)

All in all, its not quite as big a hassle as it appears - but it is still a hassle.

Curious: I was able to set a delivery date w/o any requests to "show them the money." It's far enough out (Nov. 25), that our funds will be available. I have been concerned about a delayed delivery, or denied delivery, as we are awaiting adequate funds in the bank account.

Thanks for all the advice.

Wonder if that will change when Giga Austin comes online. Will they have to ship the cars out of state and then back in to Texas buyers? Sigh...

Others have disagreed with my opinion on this but when I saw the picture of the Texas governor with Musk, announcing the gigafactory deal, my first thought was “Musk is too clever and too forward thinking to have closed the Texas gigafactory deal without having addressed the elephant in the room in some manner.” There has to be some back room handshake deal in place somehow to address this absurdity when the Texas legislature reconvenes.

A "back room handshake deal" and $5 will get you a small latte.

I'm sure Musk and Abbot discussed it, and maybe Abbot agrees 100%, but the Legislature has its own priorities.

Tesla seems to think it will be business-as-usual with the way they are handling Texas sales now. They're probably right.