Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas lemon law experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever deal with the TX lemon law? Just curious how the process works before the next step of seeking an attorney. Tesla service north just canceled 2nd appointment with my model 3 but giving them one last shot. If I understand correctly they must at least make an attempt to fix the car? Would be nice if I could just call someone instead of recordings and phone app appointments.

What is wrong with the car, with pics?
Cabin overheat protection not working and Tesla not willing to fix it. This is the 6th time I have needed service. Left passenger door is misaligned however willing to pay out of pocket as its just cosmetic. And finally right mirror plastic triangle is lifting for a grand total of 8 issues. My wife has access to an attorney at work, getting ready to go through the process if they refuse to fix the cabin overheat problem.

It is under safety and security settings. The whole point of the feature is to save the lives of children and pets.

I believe the point of it as stated in the manual is to prevent damage to the electronics. There is “dog mode” which is different, Does dog mode work?

yeah, just looked it up:

The climate control system can reduce the temperature of the cabin in extremely hot ambient conditions for a period of up to twelve hours after you exit Model 3. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:
• OFF: Disable Cabin Overheat Protection.
• NO A/C: Only the fan operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C). This option consumes less energy but the cabin temperature may exceed 105° F (40° C).
• ON: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C).
Note: Cabin Overheat Protection operates only when the energy remaining in the Battery is above 20% .
Warning: Never leave children or pets in the vehicle unattended. Due to automatic shut-off or extreme outside conditions, the inside of the vehicle can become dangerously hot, even when Cabin Overheat Protection is enabled.

But even more pertinent to you overhear protection only works for 12 hours after you park your car (which i did not know).

Yes dog mode works and it 'cabin overheat protection' was touted as one of their best safety features when it came out. I do not want the car repurchased or exchanged under lemon law, just fixed. They have refused to acknowledge there is a problem but have been taking screen shots of high cabin temperatures. Next appointment is in 2 weeks, not sure what course of action to take next if they cancel again saying it is working fine.

Yes dog mode works and it 'cabin overheat protection' was touted as one of their best safety features when it came out. I do not want the car repurchased or exchanged under lemon law, just fixed. They have refused to acknowledge there is a problem but have been taking screen shots of high cabin temperatures. Next appointment is in 2 weeks, not sure what course of action to take next if they cancel again saying it is working fine.

You haven’t posted a picture of them here. I would not trust Tesla service people to tell me I had stuff set right, personally. They have limited training.

Also note: if you parked your car at the house at 5pm, then checked on your car at 9am the next day, it would seem like overheat production isn’t working when it is.

Because it would turn off at 5am, then the sun would heat your car from 5am to 9am and in the Texas sun I’m not surprised you got burned.

Car is parked outside in direct sunlight during working hours. The pics are just screenshots of mobile application and settings, not worth the bandwidth to post. The latest picture I sent to Tesla was 113f and they said all is working normal. This all started soon after V10 software came out but just updated to latest version. Download took almost an hour over WiFi and many systems were cycling, making noise so perhaps car also ran self diagnostic/reset some things and corrected the issue. The problem is probably software related as the air conditioner works. If the service center would answer questions, have some decent communication skills I would not be so irritated.

It’s set to “on”? Not “on - vent/no AC”?

did you try toggling it off and then back on?

it also says it activates at 105, not that it maintains 105.

have you tried a logging service (teslafi.com for example) that would record the data feed from the car? It records temp, AC on/off, etc in the raw data feed.

If it’s software, it’s probably not something the local shop can adjust. Engineering would need to look at it.

Yes AC on, toggled all profiles did several reboots, updated firmware. With AC on it should maintain 105 or below. It has done so for the first year. Never over 105 including one Summer. Have not tried teslafi.com, thanks for the tip. I canceled second appointment thinking it might be a better time to try and get it fixed in the spring when it starts to heat up again. Using no AC cabin overheat today for the first time it got to 115 in about an hour.

If you try teslafi, you can use my username in the “how did you hear about us” and get double the free trial.

i use it for one of my cars and not the other. I like the data, but there is so much I simply don’t bother looking anymore.

there are a few others out there too.

Anyone ever deal with the TX lemon law? Just curious how the process works before the next step of seeking an attorney. Tesla service north just canceled 2nd appointment with my model 3 but giving them one last shot. If I understand correctly they must at least make an attempt to fix the car? Would be nice if I could just call someone instead of recordings and phone app appointments.
I had a Ford Focus repurchased by Ford under the Texas lemon law. Dual clutch transmission issue. No attorney involved, just followed the program rules, lot of time and paperwork, but was worth it.
They paid the original cost, including taxes and financing interest, less a reasonable usage amount.
Good luck...