Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Model Ys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

My current spec on the website equals to 52,990.00 before I order. I read somewhere that orders in Texas are not immediately taxed and have to be paid within 30 days of receiving the car. Is this true? If that's the case when applying for a loan, should I include fees + taxes in my loan request or should I pay taxes separately out of my pocket? When does my down payment apply in the loan process?

I noticed my bank's truth-in-lending disclosure has a line for Tesla AND for taxes--basically showing where the money from the loan was going. The taxes line was a zero because am paying taxes out of pocket but there is no reason the loan cannot include taxes. I think you just need to talk to your bank lender and get them to factor that in. I presume they would then send part of the loan to the DMV or maybe directly to you to pay your tax.

Just got my registration packet this morning. 13 days after delivery. Now to navigate the Harris county vehicle registration process. The county website is useless. Has anyone here registered their car in Harris county (Houston)?

I registered my truck when I moved to Texas. I wish I could help, all I will say is that I read it multiple times filled it out ahead of time and did it wrong. Had to try again and still messed it up the second time because the lady at the counter gave me bad instructions. Best of luck!

Last edited:
My car is in off the train but looks like it’s just going to sit in Alabama for a week! Delivery pushed back the second time. First it was today (7/24), then 7/28 now 08/01.

@howlz did you finally get your ride?
My delivery date was also pushed back to 8/1, but they expect it to come in before the end of the month. For the past week I have been told it's "in transit to Arkansas via rail."

So I've been waiting for my white on white since I ordered on day 1 (3/14/19). After obsessively refreshing the site daily, I found my VIN on 7/6/20 (which I later learned was also my vehicle's 'born on' date according to delivery advisor). Turned around funding as quickly as I could, between waiting on MVPA corrections and credit union. Financed with Pasadena Federal Credit Union, got 1.85% for 5 years after a discount for opening a Visa credit card with them. Tesla got an image of the check and tracking details on 7/10, and received the check on 7/13.

I had delivery scheduled for today at 5pm (Plano), but late yesterday that was canceled on me - with "logistics now showing an ETA anywhere between tomorrow and August 2nd". Tesla site shows I have a new delivery appointment for 5pm on August 4th. We'll see :)

It's a good thing these cars are great - can't wait for production increases and logistics efficiencies (and TX legislative changes? *fingers crossed*) to smooth the process out.

Reactions: KRG21
So I've been waiting for my white on white since I ordered on day 1 (3/14/19). After obsessively refreshing the site daily, I found my VIN on 7/6/20 (which I later learned was also my vehicle's 'born on' date according to delivery advisor). Turned around funding as quickly as I could, between waiting on MVPA corrections and credit union. Financed with Pasadena Federal Credit Union, got 1.85% for 5 years after a discount for opening a Visa credit card with them. Tesla got an image of the check and tracking details on 7/10, and received the check on 7/13.

I had delivery scheduled for today at 5pm (Plano), but late yesterday that was canceled on me - with "logistics now showing an ETA anywhere between tomorrow and August 2nd". Tesla site shows I have a new delivery appointment for 5pm on August 4th. We'll see :)

It's a good thing these cars are great - can't wait for production increases and logistics efficiencies (and TX legislative changes? *fingers crossed*) to smooth the process out.
Congrats on the new vehicle and fingers crossed it gets delivered soon!

Did you choose Plano for the delivery? When I put in my order, it only had Plano or Ft. Worth as pick up options. However my sales advisor was able to switch it to the Lovefield location on their end. Expecting delivery within the next week (no official date has been set up yet)

Congrats on the new vehicle and fingers crossed it gets delivered soon!

Did you choose Plano for the delivery? When I put in my order, it only had Plano or Ft. Worth as pick up options. However my sales advisor was able to switch it to the Lovefield location on their end. Expecting delivery within the next week (no official date has been set up yet)

I did not choose Plano, it got assigned that way - but I'm about the same distance from either, so didn't bother asking if it could be changed. Picked up my 3 from Cedar Springs location, but have had it serviced at both locations.

The 'positive' side of the delay is that I've been procrastinating on deciding what to do regarding tint and wrap or PPF, so now I may get something lined up before I get anxious to take the new toy on a joy ride (maybe down to Austin to watch some dirt getting moved around? :)) I've never done any kind of tint or wrap or anything - but ended up with a ton of rock chips on the 3 of course (plus some annoying etching from bird droppings etc).

I told myself before the 3 came that it was 'just a car' and I've never babied anything - just expect wear and tear. Well, second time around I'm reconsidering splurging on some protection. Difficulty with a wrap is that there's too many dang options when I'm not exactly sure what I'm after - so PPF it may be. Area recommendations welcome (DMs or otherwise), though I've been pouring over old threads as well.

I did not choose Plano, it got assigned that way - but I'm about the same distance from either, so didn't bother asking if it could be changed. Picked up my 3 from Cedar Springs location, but have had it serviced at both locations.

The 'positive' side of the delay is that I've been procrastinating on deciding what to do regarding tint and wrap or PPF, so now I may get something lined up before I get anxious to take the new toy on a joy ride (maybe down to Austin to watch some dirt getting moved around? :)) I've never done any kind of tint or wrap or anything - but ended up with a ton of rock chips on the 3 of course (plus some annoying etching from bird droppings etc).

I told myself before the 3 came that it was 'just a car' and I've never babied anything - just expect wear and tear. Well, second time around I'm reconsidering splurging on some protection. Difficulty with a wrap is that there's too many dang options when I'm not exactly sure what I'm after - so PPF it may be. Area recommendations welcome (DMs or otherwise), though I've been pouring over old threads as well.
Please update the thread when you decide where youre going to get the work done. Ive heard of one place in Arlington that another user spoke highly of (APEX automotive), but want to hear if there are other suggestions.

Called the number on the text and was routed to the Galleria and they were able to tell me where it was. It had been offloaded from the train and was waiting for a truck. And it was Arkansas not Alabama. Oops

Same for me, I called the designated delivery location (North Houston, great service team btw.), My car was asleep the train to Arkansas and I was told to call back if I'm not contacted within 2-3 day.

Reactions: theganjaguru
I picked up my Tesla Model Y. I ordered in March as well! I absolutely love it. It is very similar size to a BMW X3 and the storage space is amazing!

Starting a tread for the Texas owners and people waiting on delivery. I’ve not seen a lot of posts from Texans and it might be good to have a place to communicate on Model Ys in the Lone Star state. I’m still waiting on a VIN for a Blue/ Black AWS 19s FSD that was ordered on 3/17/19.

For those in Houston, the Houston Galleria has a Model Y available for test drives. It is not in the showroom, it is downstairs in the the parking garage area where Tesla keeps the demo cars. It is a MSM AWD 20s. I’m scheduled to drive it next Monday. It looked good.

Interested in hearing if any Texans are taking delivery soon. I’ve not seen any posts lately.

My delivery date was also pushed back to 8/1, but they expect it to come in before the end of the month. For the past week I have been told it's "in transit to Arkansas via rail."

My delivery date was delayed yet again, but I did get a text on Friday that the car needed to be detailed and inspected, so I assumed it had arrived. Got a text today it was expected to be ready tomorrow but to wait til they text me to come to the store. I’ll report back once I’ve picked it up.

Reactions: Lubena95

How did I miss this thread!!? I had a question on another thread about financing. Tesla told me I can only use Alliant Credit Union if I apply through their website. Is this true? Did you go to Pasadena FCU yourself or through tesla website?

My experience (so far) was a lot faster than I expected:

MY MSM/Black LR AWD 20” Induction Wheels

7/13 – Ordered $100 order fee paid

7/17 – Trade finalized on line

7/17 – Insurance coverage provided to Tesla

7/17 – VIN assigned

7/23 – Trade-In Packet signed and returned to Tesla

7/27 – balance due paid

8/1 – tentative delivery date

Reactions: KRG21 and Mooroo
My experience (so far) was a lot faster than I expected:

MY MSM/Black LR AWD 20” Induction Wheels

7/13 – Ordered $100 order fee paid

7/17 – Trade finalized on line

7/17 – Insurance coverage provided to Tesla

7/17 – VIN assigned

7/23 – Trade-In Packet signed and returned to Tesla

7/27 – balance due paid

8/1 – tentative delivery date

Same here, ordered 7/7, VIN 7/20 (email/txt) got tentative delivery 8/2. Funnily enough the VIN was not on my page until today.
The North Houston center said they’re inspecting the vehicle for damages and other misaligned items before the commit to a date.

Reactions: KRG21 and Mooroo
How did I miss this thread!!? I had a question on another thread about financing. Tesla told me I can only use Alliant Credit Union if I apply through their website. Is this true? Did you go to Pasadena FCU yourself or through tesla website?
I talked to Pasadena and Alliant on my own. Pasadena was slow to respond to questions so I ended up going with Alliant.

Reactions: Mooroo