Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
crossing finger for anything close to the heights or any where along I10 or even 290???

The Tesla supercharger page now shows a "coming soon" in the Houston area. An earlier post from SW2Fiddler blew up the 2015 map and the one closest to Houston appeared to be southwest of the city on 59 near Rosenberg, but now the icon looks farther east to me, perhaps on I-10. Any ideas?

Also of interest to Texans, Slidell LA is no longer coming soon but is still on the 2015 map.

The dot right now I think is just the middle of Houston which means nothing. It could be a "Service Center Supercharger." The existing Houston Service is on the west side of town. Or this could end up being the Baytown location. Like many I do feel like there eventually needs to be something between Columbus and Lake Charles. I also think we eventually will need one on the Gulf Freeway (I45) towards Galveston. Right now there isn't much in the way of destination charging in Galveston.

i dont think the service center location is good because there are nothing around for rest room or food within walking distance.
I10 east side before entering Houston would be good because drivers can wait out the traffic hours if need be.

anyone know the criteria for picking super charger location?

The dot right now I think is just the middle of Houston which means nothing. It could be a "Service Center Supercharger." The existing Houston Service is on the west side of town. Or this could end up being the Baytown location. Like many I do feel like there eventually needs to be something between Columbus and Lake Charles. I also think we eventually will need one on the Gulf Freeway (I45) towards Galveston. Right now there isn't much in the way of destination charging in Galveston.

Since Superchargers are meant for long hauls between major cities, I bet it will be I-10. Anyone coming from Austin or SA will be coming from Columbus so 290 might not be the best location. Either way, it's a welcome addition!
Actually from north Austin, 290 is a much better route to Houston. If there was a supercharger on 290 west of Houston, such as Waller or Hempstead, or even Brenham which could also help with traffic to College Station, it would open up that heavily traveled route to Tesla traffic. I don't think it's going to happen though until all the interstates are built out.

Actually from north Austin, 290 is a much better route to Houston. If there was a supercharger on 290 west of Houston, such as Waller or Hempstead, or even Brenham which could also help with traffic to College Station, it would open up that heavily traveled route to Tesla traffic. I don't think it's going to happen though until all the interstates are built out.

I'm hoping for Hempstead. That would catch all those people going to Aggie games from Houston and traffic from Austin and Waco going to Houston.

Have you checked the 2015 map?
You get a SA and Three Rivers...

Yes, I must be doing something wrong as the map in this link Supercharger | Tesla Motors for 2015 and 2016 does not change in the south. I try several browsers but I can not find any better projections or details for SA or Three Rivers. :confused:
That only helps on a trip north. A SC in Three Rivers would save me some 30 minutes and would allow me to go a bit faster then 60 and a little less anxiety.:scared:

SA, Three Rivers (Oakville?), and Rosenberg, Victoria, Corpus, Harlingen (Raymondville?) seem to me to be enablers for getting to the SpaceX Launch Facility and back.
They'll also help a heap of Texans with sandy beaches on their minds :)
b41cc1612b770046888269ea22d494fb.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like Texas in general and particularly Houston and the DFW area need some more Supercharger love. If you look at the maps, California is covered in high voltage DC ants, whereas Texas is a barren wasteland to be crossed by a spiky rig driven by Charlize Theron minus a left hand.