Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a quick thought as to what good might come of a Supercharger location at 114 and 121.

1. East/West travelers would bump up there for a quick charge.
2. North/South drivers would go there for a quick charge.
3. The bigger picture could be tremendous here: That location is right at the North entrance of DFW airport. I'm imagining isles and isles of taxis and towncars plugged in, charging up between customers. I have a neighbor that drives a towncar for a living, and I KNOW his fuel bill is amazingly high per month. The marketing value of that alone is amazing!

All of those reasons are smart, to me. Just a quick thought. ;-)

I had a quick thought as to what good might come of a Supercharger location at 114 and 121.

1. East/West travelers would bump up there for a quick charge.
2. North/South drivers would go there for a quick charge.
3. The bigger picture could be tremendous here: That location is right at the North entrance of DFW airport. I'm imagining isles and isles of taxis and towncars plugged in, charging up between customers. I have a neighbor that drives a towncar for a living, and I KNOW his fuel bill is amazingly high per month. The marketing value of that alone is amazing!

All of those reasons are smart, to me. Just a quick thought. ;-)

The only travelers who would "bump" over there for a quick charge are the ones who don't know the traffic in that area is really, really horrible. Your comment about the taxi/limo drivers makes sense, not to mention future Tesla rental car customers. Actually, I think it's for the convenience of all the rich folks in the Southlake/Westlake/Las Colinas area that are potential or current Tesla owners.

The only travelers who would "bump" over there for a quick charge are the ones who don't know the traffic in that area is really, really horrible. Your comment about the taxi/limo drivers makes sense, not to mention future Tesla rental car customers. Actually, I think it's for the convenience of all the rich folks in the Southlake/Westlake/Las Colinas area that are potential or current Tesla owners.

While the traffic is bad, the new construction is just about done and the area flows a lot better now. I drive it back and forth for work every day and it's amazing from what it used to be. I like the idea about the taxi drivers as well.

Actually this is a pretty good location if you are trying to be smack-dab in the center of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex - and also near DFW Airport. I live about 5 miles from there and don't personally need a supercharger here. The HPWC in my garage suits me fine and I would not want to sit here for 30+ minutes charging even if it was free. Depending where they might build it there are tons of restaurants around and the area is not packed like a city location.

The new highways there are all but done and great (DFW Connector). I whizzed through there twice today (at [cough] 70+) without any congestion at all.

10 miles farther south the North Tarrant Express will also be winding down in a year+, so that congestion will be gone too.

Just about any long haul east-west or north-south traversal could route by 121/114 without a major detour or delay for electrons.

A lot of traffic passes this way and even though they are expensive advertisements, a supercharge here might do a lot for Tesla sales.

I've also seen a number of queries from out-of-towners visiting DFW wondering where they can get a charge after running down their range tooling around the metroplex and not having enough range to make it to the Supercharger down the road. Situations like this might make an airport location convenient. But so would a DFW "Galleria" with a few HPWC outside in the garage, which we don't have in DFW yet either. Sadly the future Northpark Galleria store location is not at all centrally located for the metroplex and IS indeed in the center of a traffic mess, but alas...

All the "rich people" in Southlake/Westlake/Las Colinas will have full charges every morning anyway, and they are too busy to be doing a 30-60 minute pit stop.

Last edited:
Actually this is a pretty good location if you are trying to be smack-dab in the center of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex - and also near DFW Airport. I live about 5 miles from there and don't personally need a supercharger here. The HPWC in my garage suits me fine and I would not want to sit here for 30+ minutes charging even if it was free. Depending where they might build it there are tons of restaurants around and the area is not packed like a city location.

The new highways there are all but done and great (DFW Connector). I whizzed through there twice today (at [cough] 70+) without any congestion at all.

10 miles farther south the North Tarrant Express will also be winding down in a year+, so that congestion will be gone too.

Just about any long haul east-west or north-south traversal could route by 121/114 without a major detour or delay for electrons.

A lot of traffic passes this way and even though they are expensive advertisements, a supercharge here might do a lot for Tesla sales.

All the "rich people" in Southlake/Westlake/Las Colinas will have full charges every morning anyway, and they are too busy to be doing a 30-60 minute pit stop.

I'm not saying that the 114/121 location would be a bad one for the future, but for east-west travelers who would normally take I-20 to avoid the downtowns of Dallas and Fort Worth, it's an 36 mile detour there and back. For north-south travelers who would normally take I-35W, the most direct route, it's a 30 mile detour there and back. Those distances are simple "as the crow flies", btw. SH 121, SH 161 and the GWB, which may have to be used, being toll roads doesn't help matters either.

You actually made my point about that location being more about advertising than actual use. Not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but the other ones need to come first. I think Tesla needs to concentrate on SCs between major metro areas first to address the cross-country issues.

Last edited:
Corsicana SC Update

Visited Corsicana this AM.
Heavy storms rolled through North Texas last evening, weather was still overcast and misty.

Multiple aspects of work has been accomplished in less than one week.

P1013386.JPG
P1013387.JPG

Concrete pad for new transformer has been poured, forms have been stripped.

P1013389.JPG
P1013393.JPG
P1013394.JPG
P1013395.JPG

Definitely will be 6 Supercharger bays.
Concrete work is completed for the 6 Charger stations and the adjacent signage posts.
Paving area has been filled and new concrete poured.
Holes have been back-filled, ready for form-work and concrete pad for ESVE and other equipment.

Will require some additional marking/striping for the bays.

They are really rolling at this location, definitely will be open before Thanksgiving, probably 2 weeks max (strictly my WAG) until opening.

Anyone have any update on Huntsville?

Have been hoping that it might be ready for my trip to Houston this weekend, but it's starting to look like my fastest way down might be through Waco to Columbus to Houston.

Maybe I can at least take the fast way home on the 9th...

Am curious as well. Headed down to Houston on Friday, any update would be greatly appreciated for those who live in the Houston area otherwise no problem, can go through Waco!

One love.

Without the confirmed opening or operational charger in Huntsville, it is probably prudent to just plan on going thru Waco and Columbus.
A couple of extra miles in lieu of I-45, but you will get there with plenty of battery charge to spare.

Next Time, easy-peasy on I-45.

Am curious as well. Headed down to Houston on Friday, any update would be greatly appreciated for those who live in the Houston area otherwise no problem, can go through Waco!

One love.

With an 85, Dallas to Houston (north) should be fine IF you take it easy and max regen on the downhills. There are some decent L2 chargers in North Houston if you need some juice to get you to your final destination. I've recently heard of someone taking Dallas to Galveston trips with the family on ONE charge!

Indeed. This is the 2nd time I'll be driving the Model S from DFW (Las Colinas, TX)-HOU(Richmond, TX) and the first time was before any superchargers were there. Had to use an RV park in Lake Conroe for about 45min and then top up a little more in the Galleria while going 60-65mph the entire way in a 75mph highway.

I plan on going through Waco for 1 supercharger stop and then hit the road through HWY 6. Should be an easy road trip this time around!

I plan on going through Waco for 1 supercharger stop and then hit the road through HWY 6. Should be an easy road trip this time around!

BINGO!
Bell mead to Richmond is about 190 miles. Easy to make - if you don't mind that slow charge at the end (translates = more fruitcake) And it's fast enough down 6. However, are the Aggies playing on the weekend you wanna go? Beware!!!

Ha, Johnny Football and crew always causing a stir. Luckily, leaving Friday so MIGHT be ok :)
This route might prove better than going through I-45/I-10 (hellish during rush hour).

BINGO!
Bell mead to Richmond is about 190 miles. Easy to make - if you don't mind that slow charge at the end (translates = more fruitcake) And it's fast enough down 6. However, are the Aggies playing on the weekend you wanna go? Beware!!!

Any intel on next ribbon cuttings?

In Columbus the Tesla rep seemed to think both Corsicana and Huntsville would be done around the same time in November. If they run true to form, I'm guessing 10am on Nov. 12th or 13th, if they're still on track.

John

For those with 60's, in case you were wondering, the drive directly form Waco to Columbus is definitely possible. I left Waco with about 195 miles of rated range, drove a ~2mph over the speed limit most of the way and arrived with 20 miles of rated range. Expect that is you had a full charge and stuck to the speed limit you could easily make it with 30+ miles to spare. Hopefully on my way home next weekend Huntsville will be up and running and I can try a new path...