Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a really long haul from Corsicana to Oklahoma City--about 260 miles (Hope they have those 125 kWh batteries soon). Then about 250 miles to Salina, KS. Texas will still be an island unless you're going to the East Coast.

Go West on I 40 from OK City. Don't go to Salina. 260 mi is possible with an 85. You can stop at the Tesla Gallery or SC in Dallas for a top off after leaving Corsicana. The problem would be if the SC was west, east or north of OK City rather than on the south side.

Go West on I 40 from OK City. Don't go to Salina. 260 mi is possible with an 85. You can stop at the Tesla Gallery or SC in Dallas for a top off after leaving Corsicana. The problem would be if the SC was west, east or north of OK City rather than on the south side.

My destination is Lincoln, NE, not the West Coast. The only choices would be Salina or Kansas City. Through Salina is shorter.

And, yes, I've done 260 miles but it's really tight and not doable in unfavourable conditions.

OKC won't help for the TMC conference this year. Next year, maybe, depending on the schedule.

superchargerlandingpagemaps_2015_214.jpg

Even with all of this, there still look to be some sizeable gaps (for a 60) along Interstate 10 going west from Austin.

• From Austin to the (est.) Sonora SC is about 200 miles
  • From the (est.) Lordsburg, NM, SC to the (est.) Eloy, AZ, SC is about 210 miles

It would be nice if they'd add SuperChargers in Kerrville, TX, and Benson, AZ.

John

My destination is Lincoln, NE, not the West Coast. The only choices would be Salina or Kansas City. Through Salina is shorter.

And, yes, I've done 260 miles but it's really tight and not doable in unfavourable conditions.

I would definitely go through Salina to get to Lincoln (I repsonded to a desire to get to CA). There is a Cracker Barrel in Norman. Cracker Barrels usually have chargers where you could add 20 mi during a meal and then make it to OK City.

I would definitely go through Salina to get to Lincoln (I repsonded to a desire to get to CA). There is a Cracker Barrel in Norman. Cracker Barrels usually have chargers where you could add 20 mi during a meal and then make it to OK City.

Too bad they don't have any edible food--been to a Cracker Barrel once :) However, I've found RV parks to be a better choice than J1722 chargers as they are much faster (and a cooler is cheap).

That's a really long haul from Corsicana to Oklahoma City--about 260 miles (Hope thoey have those 125 kWh batteries soon). Then about 250 miles to Salina, KS. Texas will still be an island unless you're going to the East Coast.

My guess is we won't comfortably be able to make it north or west of Texas until end of 2015 :-(

Also, no other major city down South has one, not sure why they'd put one in OKC, needs to be about 50 miles south.

My guess is we won't comfortably be able to make it north or west of Texas until end of 2015 :-(

Also, no other major city down South has one, not sure why they'd put one in OKC, needs to be about 50 miles south.

Well, OKC is just a dot on the map (unless they intend to put it in with a service centre).

Once Salina opens up it will be pretty good because you can get an HPWC range charge in Bristow, OK. Go to Milford, KS and charge for two hours in the Fairgrounds, then go to the Salina SC.

For those following this thread and not others, the Tesla store at Northpark in Dallas is open and has 7 chargers in the parking garage (208V/39A on the one I tried ~~24mph).

This is probably the most available top-off location for after hours charging if you're trying to head north-ish off the Texas supercharger island or need a cushion to get to the Corsicana or Waco superchargers.

- - - Updated - - -

Posted on Plugshare this morning regarding the Huntsville supercharger:
All chargers occupied by Gas vehicles. Managers won't tow cars. Very Frustrating!!!

Sounds like supercharger cables need to be 25' long these days. Too bad there's no method to extend with the umc even if it had to ramp down to non SC levels. Might be interesting to block a few ICE cars in while still getting a charge with a long cable pulled around the offender.

So how much would it add to the overall total cost of a Supercharger site to make the cables 15' longer? Maybe .5%? I know longer wire heat/loss/resistance, but it would be a worthy trade-off since you could never be ICE'd out of a supercharger.

Last edited:
Posted on Plugshare this morning regarding the Huntsville supercharger:
All chargers occupied by Gas vehicles. Managers won't tow cars. Very Frustrating!!!

I hope the owners called Tesla so that they are aware of the problem. The store managers don't care as a customer is a customer, but Tesla can put pressure on them.

I would imagine just a simple 'Violators will be Towed' sign will act as something of a deterrent. I've been through Huntsville a couple of times and not had an issue there, but I assume if you show up when the hotel is busy with a conference or wedding, it would be a different story. Had issues at Corsicana a few times, it's rare there's not an ICE parked in at least one of the spot. Too convenient for the restaurant, unfortunately.

Hotels are probably the worst locations for Superchargers because they all have adequate parking for normal times, but let there be an event or holiday and they are full to bursting. For some this would mean every Friday and Saturday.

The new 2014 map on the Tesla Motors Supercharger Page has Ardmore, OK and Wichita, KS added. This means that Tesla plans to connect the "Texas Island" to I-40 west and I-70 east and west, in addition to I-10 east by the end of 2014.

That's 4 ways off the island by the end of 2014!

Come to Colorado in your MS to go skiing this winter!!!

View attachment 53517
Not for 60's, at least from the Austin and San Antonio perspective. Ardmore is too far north on I-35. It's 192 miles from Waco to Ardmore. Detouring to Corsicana might be possible but would require waiting to charge to 100% there and driving under the speed limit as it's 165 miles from Corsicana to Ardmore. Certainly not ideal.

Not for 60's, at least from the Austin and San Antonio perspective. Ardmore is too far north on I-35. It's 192 miles from Waco to Ardmore. Detouring to Corsicana might be possible but would require waiting to charge to 100% there and driving under the speed limit as it's 165 miles from Corsicana to Ardmore. Certainly not ideal.

I agree and that is why I tell people that Superchargers should not be more than 130 miles apart on flat ground. At least for the 85's, driven conservatively there is a route to west off the Texas Island.

I agree and that is why I tell people that Superchargers should not be more than 130 miles apart on flat ground. At least for the 85's, driven conservatively there is a route to west off the Texas Island.

If you can't quite make it from Oklahoma City to Wichita, there is a fairground in Winfield which has at least 100 14-50 where you can't pick up a few miles. It's on the honor system, so you just put some money in the drop box. No reservation needed except on event days.

From Waco to Ardmore, your best shot would be to gain a few miles at the Northpark Mall's HPWC bays.