Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, and you are overcomplicating things. The only true benefit is charging even when the grid goes down which is nice. It would suck to be driving cross country and then be stuck due to a local power outage. Still, it's a nice thing but not a show stopper. Which is why they won't be available day one.

The benefit occurs when havig the batteries there makes Tesla more money.. As I pointed out in my list there are a number of factors involved in that calculation and simply saying feed in and draw out without any more information is ridiculous. Having batteries would allow Solar City to increase income from electricity fed to the grid and to lower the cost of electricity drawn from the grid. Now, you give me the numbers that show me why those gains and the "Supercharge from solar"PR wouldn't outweigh the cost of the batteries and I'll then accept your statement as fact.

Just a question about the San Marcos location....aren't most people (who can afford a Tesla anyway) taking the new toll road, 130, between Austin and San Antonio now? It bypasses Austin, has far less traffic on it than 35 and has an 85mph speed limit to boot. It runs about 10 miles to the east of 35 where the new charger is. If it's supposed to service Tesla owners traveling between Austin and San Antonio, I wonder if a location along the toll road may have been a better choice.

tesla.jpg

(Please excuse the 5 min Paint-shop :redface:)

Last edited:
Just a question about the San Marcos location....aren't most people taking the new toll road, 130, between Austin and San Antonio now? It has far less traffic on it than 35 and has an 85mph speed limit to boot. It runs about 10 miles to the east of 35 where the new charger is.

Yeah. I'm thrilled that we finally have a SC, but this location isn't particularly useful. I'm sure it's tied into one of Tesla's mall partnerships.

Last edited:
While we may be in more immediate proximity to the newest ones, my view is that the SCs will be used by ALL Model S drivers who pass this way.
Drop by, have some fine Bar-B-Que and fill up when you need a charge.....
Great point! I do have family in McKinney so a road trip down that way would be great fun. Going to need a few more Superchargers first. Oh yeah and an S (or an X)! ;-)

No, most people are not taking the 130 toll road, that's why it has far less traffic! It's too far east of Austin, it's expensive, and it doesn't go to San Antonio-- it ends at I-10 in Seguin. Only the part from south of Austin to Seguin has the 85 MPH limit--less than half of the route.

Just a question about the San Marcos location....aren't most people (who can afford a Tesla anyway) taking the new toll road, 130, between Austin and San Antonio now? It bypasses Austin, has far less traffic on it than 35 and has an 85mph speed limit to boot. It runs about 10 miles to the east of 35 where the new charger is. If it's supposed to service Tesla owners traveling between Austin and San Antonio, I wonder if a location along the toll road may have been a better choice.

View attachment 28041
(Please excuse the 5 min Paint-shop :redface:)

I haven't lived in Austin since that toll road was built, but I don't think many people use it at all. I would think most traffic from north is going TO Austin and most traffic to San Antonio is coming FROM Austin/San Marcos/New Braunfels, making it less useful. It's most useful for long haul truckers, but I feel like something I read somewhere suggested truckers don't like using toll roads b/c the added cost isn't made up for by the time savings. And really, the bad traffic is IN Austin, after that it's pretty much smooth sailing most of the time.

Once Waco/Temple comes online, though, someone on a DFW-SAT road trip can easily make it from Waco to San Antonio via the toll-road if they want (180 miles).

I know DFW is so full of toll roads that it's almost impossible to get anywhere without using them (I personally detest the idea and will not use them), but they are still new to Austin and don't (yet) exist farther south. I don't think people outside of the Round Rock-area use it much, if at all, and even then I imagine they use it to get to central or south Austin by cutting back in on 290 or 71.

While the better places to eat are on the other side of I-35 (IMO...Kip's BBQ, Craig-O's Pizza, Centerpoint Station), this is a perfect location. Easy on/off the highway, plenty of window shopping to pass the hour, and an 80kw can easily make it as far as Corpus Christi.

While the better places to eat are on the other side of I-35 (IMO...Kip's BBQ, Craig-O's Pizza, Centerpoint Station), this is a perfect location. Easy on/off the highway, plenty of window shopping to pass the hour, and an 80kw can easily make it as far as Corpus Christi.

I can also make it to Corpus Christi from Houston, but there are very few charging options there to allow the return trip. I used to live there and would like to make the trip in my Model S.

I can also make it to Corpus Christi from Houston, but there are very few charging options there to allow the return trip. I used to live there and would like to make the trip in my Model S.

I don't know the status of BLINK, CHARGEPOINT or other J1772 options in Corpus, but there seem to be plenty of RV Parks and campgrounds. I know Mustang Island State Park has 50A hookups.

Just a question about the San Marcos location....aren't most people (who can afford a Tesla anyway) taking the new toll road, 130, between Austin and San Antonio now? It bypasses Austin, has far less traffic on it than 35 and has an 85mph speed limit to boot. It runs about 10 miles to the east of 35 where the new charger is.

Short answer: No.

Here's an interesting article regarding Texas 130: Toll road traffic far less than expected - San Antonio Express-News

Boy would I want to legally drive as fast as that toll road allows me to, but not enough to take that less than useful toll road. My current car is in the same price range as a Tesla and I've never used 130 (for Austin to SA) You have to go way out of your way to pick up the toll road on the Austin side and it dumps you out in SA out in BFE. Might as well drive slower; I'll get there faster. It would be nice if you could scoot over to the toll road if you notice it's bad in Austin, but by then, its WAY too late.

I'm not against Austin toll roads, just stupid ones. I use the ones that the built across North Austin all the time. They're big, beautiful, cheap (some of 'em), and exactly where they should be.

On the outlet mall CS:

I live in way north Austin and my relatives live in SW SA. It's 110 miles one way and I've been doing it for about 30 years. Let me tell you, having to use that outlet mall station going southbound on a Saturday is going to bite. Close to Xmas on a weekend, you will be lucky if shoppers aren't parked in the spaces. Yes, it's in the back, etc. I've parked back there and had to play parking roulette. After playing parking roulette for 10 mins, those spaces will look pretty appetizing.

Stopped by Columbus just now. Confirmed Supercharger site in Comfort Inn parking lot on Texas Hwy 71 just South of I-10. Construction crew onsite with power company. They did not have ETA on completion. Area was marked with paint, but ground not yet broken. Mexican restaurant, Steakhouse and Sonic nearby.

Cheers,

Doug.

@ Doug ... Excellent sleuth-work. We need to think of standard questions. I'm hoping Waco will have service on or before Sept 6th.

Standard questions may be:

1) What is time to completion?
2) How long have you been working on this one?

(put those two together to see where we are in the 4-6 week range)

3) Are you contracted to do any others

etc. etc.

Anyone hear where (approximately) in Waco these superchargers will be located? Heading out there tonight and I could check out the progress, but a lot of rocks to look under -

There are so many places it could be, but I would look at Central Texas Marketplace, 2400 W Loop 340, Waco
(254) 662-5700
(Central Texas Marketplace, Waco, TX)

The interesting thing about Waco is that it eliminates the short term need for Hillsboro. I'm okay with that for now, but it will make it difficult for Austinites to get north of DFW.

Stopped by Columbus just now. Confirmed Supercharger site in Comfort Inn parking lot on Texas Hwy 71 just South of I-10. Construction crew onsite with power company. They did not have ETA on completion. Area was marked with paint, but ground not yet broken. Mexican restaurant, Steakhouse and Sonic nearby.

Cheers,

Doug.

Thanks VERY much!

Over a year ago, I stayed at that hotel while my conversion was charging in the RV park across the highway. That was making a trip from near Lockhart to Houston in an EV with a range of ~150 miles. I can recommend that Mexican restaurant.

There are so many places it could be, but I would look at Central Texas Marketplace, 2400 W Loop 340, Waco
(254) 662-5700
(Central Texas Marketplace, Waco, TX)

The interesting thing about Waco is that it eliminates the short term need for Hillsboro. I'm okay with that for now, but it will make it difficult for Austinites to get north of DFW.

Yeah, that would be my first choice of location as well. Will check it out, pics to follow

Short answer: No.

Here's an interesting article regarding Texas 130: Toll road traffic far less than expected - San Antonio Express-News

Boy would I want to legally drive as fast as that toll road allows me to, but not enough to take that less than useful toll road. My current car is in the same price range as a Tesla and I've never used 130 (for Austin to SA) You have to go way out of your way to pick up the toll road on the Austin side and it dumps you out in SA out in BFE. Might as well drive slower; I'll get there faster. It would be nice if you could scoot over to the toll road if you notice it's bad in Austin, but by then, its WAY too late.

I'm not against Austin toll roads, just stupid ones. I use the ones that the built across North Austin all the time. They're big, beautiful, cheap (some of 'em), and exactly where they should be.

On the outlet mall CS:

I live in way north Austin and my relatives live in SW SA. It's 110 miles one way and I've been doing it for about 30 years. Let me tell you, having to use that outlet mall station going southbound on a Saturday is going to bite. Close to Xmas on a weekend, you will be lucky if shoppers aren't parked in the spaces. Yes, it's in the back, etc. I've parked back there and had to play parking roulette. After playing parking roulette for 10 mins, those spaces will look pretty appetizing.

My point was not which highway was getting the most traffic. It was questioning which highway Tesla owners were likely to use. If you already live in Austin, you're starting out for SA with a full "tank" anyway, and you wouldn't use the San Marcos SC. Where that station will come in handy is for Tesla owners going to and from SA from DFW. Most of them would be bypassing Austin anyway. Personally, I would rather travel on a fast road with very little traffic rather than having to deal with Austin traffic if I'm just passing through.

Last edited:
Great idea. I wish I would have known what to ask before running into the construction crew in Columbus.

@ Doug ... Excellent sleuth-work. We need to think of standard questions. I'm hoping Waco will have service on or before Sept 6th.

Standard questions may be:

1) What is time to completion?
2) How long have you been working on this one?

(put those two together to see where we are in the 4-6 week range)

3) Are you contracted to do any others

etc. etc.