Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Message Feature is Displaying Old Messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get a text while driving, the car alerts me to a new message, but the sender and the message itself seem to be displaying random old messages. I got one yesterday that was from October. I've also had my audio crash while the car was dictating a message. A hard reset was required to get the audio working again.

Anyone else seeing glitches with this so far?

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Yup its so weird. The text messaging feature is absolute trash. I had a simple text message come in from a normal contact and for some reason it read off a billon of numbers "765432456743637365234 Andrew said ...."

Can't stop the audio once the message has started. Replying by voice is also terrible.

But i'm sure it will be improved soon :)

Reactions: UnicornDriver
I think it's actually a combination of the phone that's causing it as the car fetches messages without an active Android notification. If the notification is still persistent in the status bar, Tesla fetches an old message (sometimes) and then the new one in quick succession.

This is not OK, my 2021 model 3 gets texts from my ex-gf from 2019 every time I receive/send a text while connected to my car.

This isn't an obscure bug, I reproduce it every time a message is sent or received by the tesla messaging assistant.

WTAF?

• Informative
Reactions: ayavner
This is not OK, my 2021 model 3 gets texts from my ex-gf from 2019 every time I receive/send a text while connected to my car.

This isn't an obscure bug, I reproduce it every time a message is sent or received by the tesla messaging assistant.

WTAF?

Based on what I can tell, in certain cases it will read random unread text messages regardless of how old they are. I would say to go and find those older text messages and either delete them or explicitly mark them as read.

I recently synced my text messages from the cloud and it inadvertently pulled a bunch of older messages onto my new phone and the car went nuts for about an hour with constant notifications and non-stop dinging. My passengers got a kick out of it but I was not so amused.

Yes - definitely a bug/nuance with the text message reading system.

First thing I did was mark all my texts as read, if anything it got worse (went from last weeks messages to last year's messages) but probably coincidence/unrelated

I'm onto reinstalling my messaging app (Textra) on Google Pixel 5... Better work

My wife started having this problem in our S after we had to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 (long story). When she gets a new text, she will also get a notification for one or more old texts as through they were new. She has no unread messages, though I've seen that floated as a reason. The old ones notified as new can come from a variety of people, and can have happened any time in the last couple of years. The only thing we have figured out so far is that a new text notification will also trigger some random old texts to send notifications, too. Even the number of "extra" messages sent isn't consistent.

I don't think this issue is even being looked at by Tesla. I can't imagine it would be difficult to fix, SMS is such a simple protocol. So you have to think at this point that they just don't care, so it will likely never get fixed.

Hope I'm wrong...

WTAF?
Lololol this might be the first time that the old joke that iphone users get laid more comes true. I feel for you brother if that happened to me I would be shot. Oh btw samsung s20 2018 model 3 been doing it for years. Its jist kinda commical at this point. I get excited and go "oooo I wonder wtf my rqndom text is today?"

Reactions: hcdavis3
I have a 2017 model s. Didn't happen until I upgraded to MCU2. My phone is Android.

It seems to come and go. Initially, it was EVERY message I would get an old one first. I believe it's been 4 months since I upgraded and it seems to slowly get better, I'd say now it's only about 15% of the time.

I don't have any unread messages that are causing this from what I can tell.

When I get a text while driving, the car alerts me to a new message, but the sender and the message itself seem to be displaying random old messages. I got one yesterday that was from October. I've also had my audio crash while the car was dictating a message. A hard reset was required to get the audio working again.

Happened to me today...from 2 different contacts.

Happened to me today... from 2 different contacts!!!