Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Else Been Getting Notifications of Text Messages That You Received Years Ago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
We've experienced an issue in our new Model Y where you'll get a text message notification and but it will be for a text message you got years ago. Possibly related, it's also begun reading all of the code/characters/digits associated with a text message in addition to the message itself. So it will read the date & time stamp, the sender's mobile number and any other odd special characters associated with that text message as if it were part of the actual text message that it also reads at the same time.

Our phones are Android OS (Pixel 5's when we first took delivery and now Pixel 7's, all with the latest updates) and all have experienced these oddities. Curious if anyone else has experienced this or if it's an isolated situation with our new Model Y. I should notice that both devices have the new(er) RCS (aka "Chat") features enabled. I suspect this may have something to do with it.

Sounds like it is a phone or carrier issue and not the car.
These same 2 phones (as well as the previous 2 phones we just replaced a couple of weeks ago) work fine in our other two Teslas and the previous 5 Teslas as well. Scientific process narrows all variables down to the Model Y specifically and rather definitively. Also backing up that theory is that I submitted a service ticket in the app around the same time as this post here and already got what appears to be a canned response stating that it's a known issue and is going to be fixed at some point in the future with no estimated time.

We've experienced an issue in our new Model Y where you'll get a text message notification and but it will be for a text message you got years ago. Possibly related, it's also begun reading all of the code/characters/digits associated with a text message in addition to the message itself. So it will read the date & time stamp, the sender's mobile number and any other odd special characters associated with that text message as if it were part of the actual text message that it also reads at the same time.

Our phones are Android OS (Pixel 5's when we first took delivery and now Pixel 7's, all with the latest updates) and all have experienced these oddities. Curious if anyone else has experienced this or if it's an isolated situation with our new Model Y. I should notice that both devices have the new(er) RCS (aka "Chat") features enabled. I suspect this may have something to do with it.
Our 2 week old MYLR (or phone) has the exact same issues. Pixel 7 on my end wife has a 4a. Same issue for both of us.

Ditto. It started for me about 8 or 9 months ago. It doesn't happen often but it happened again in the past 2 weeks.

The worst part is when one comes in, I know I've received a text in real-time but it is displaying an older text and from another person. The latest time I got a text from my son talking about how good the baby is (the baby is 2 now so I knew it wasn't current.) I was expecting a text from my husband, and sure enough that was showing on my phone but not in the messages on the Tesla.

Android 12 on a MotoG phone.

I have this happen all the time. I get a message from my mom that says "We're in the car" almost every time I get a text. I get messages from old friends and exes. I know it's been happening at least since November.

I'm on Android as well. Definitely a bug Tesla needs to fix.

Reactions: Ostrichsak

Any solution yet?

It's when you use an additional text application. Like if you have a Verizon and you use their text messaging vs. the one on a Samsung phone...or my wife used to use Google messages, then some other app and had this issue and then she selected the default application and it stopped.

There's a thread somewhere on this.

Any solution yet?
Nothing resolved.
It's when you use an additional text application. Like if you have a Verizon and you use their text messaging vs. the one on a Samsung phone...or my wife used to use Google messages, then some other app and had this issue and then she selected the default application and it stopped.

There's a thread somewhere on this.
Nope. I know what you're talking about because, back in the day, we used Google's Hangouts exclusively for text messaging. We're talking about the default Messages app that is the default messaging app for Android phones. There is no "more default" text messaging app than what I'm currently using on a Pixel 7 which is the most vanilla version of Android OS possible. This is a Tesla issue that they need to fix and even told me as much when I submitted a ticket. No fix has occurred to date.

Nothing resolved.

Nope. I know what you're talking about because, back in the day, we used Google's Hangouts exclusively for text messaging. We're talking about the default Messages app that is the default messaging app for Android phones. There is no "more default" text messaging app than what I'm currently using on a Pixel 7 which is the most vanilla version of Android OS possible. This is a Tesla issue that they need to fix and even told me as much when I submitted a ticket. No fix has occurred to date.
Ok, live with it. I've fixed it on a pixel 7 and Galaxy S22.

• Disagree
Ok, live with it. I've fixed it on a pixel 7 and Galaxy S22.
Maybe I wasn't clear: I'm not only not using any other messaging apps nor is there a possibility for another messaging app to be set as default but I don't even have anything else installed. Neither of us do. Same result. Same exact phones (and our previous ones) don't display this issue on our two Model S cars either. We ARE using the default messaging app and nothing more. My guess is it has to do with Google pushing RCS out & Tesla not accounting for it. They basically confirmed it to me but not in so many words. Your "solution" was anecdotal at best and included zero useful details even if it was the solution so... Thanks?

• Disagree
Reactions: uscbucsfan
Pixel 6 Pro, Verizon. Started happening with my Ford last year, then in wife's KIA. Now happens in 2020 M3LR.

In the F150 it would always pick the same text my wife sent from 2018. The first time it was weird. Now the Tesla has done random texts from anyone to pop up.

Doesn't happen with wife's iPhone that I'm aware of.

I'm using Google messages only for text.

Got the same annoying text bug on the Model Y that is 2 months old. I don't have this problem on my Model S.

Don't think the phones, or the message app, make any difference. On the Y, when I get messages from my wife, it will read back correctly sometimes. Other times, I get the full header info. Group texts seem worse. On the S, it works every time.

Resurrecting an old thread, but this has been happening to me for months. The screen shows completely random sources of the messages, sometimes the correct content is read off. Sometimes I get the entire XML. The interface doesn't respond most of the time. Big headache from how well it used to work for the first year or so I owned my Y

I encourage everyone to open support/service requests regarding this known issue. They suggested i unpair and repair, which of course doesn't resolve the issue. they need to feel pressure to resolve this. my parents just got a model 3 and the issue didn't exist on their Prius, definitely a tesla short-coming.