Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text Messages Not Working with iPhone SE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try using the Reconnect button on the Tesla in-car display under the Bluetooth settings.

From twitter “ To enable text messaging with the new update you do the following:
On the Tesla display, go to bluetooth connected phones, next to your phone click the little ">" to pull up the bluetooth settings for that connected phone, then click RECONNECT. When it reconnects it will ask for permission to access your text messages.“

One clarification and one observation…

Clarification:
These phone/Bluetooth settings are found by going to Music -> Phone -> then click on “Connect Phone”. (Hopefully this spares someone else the confusion I suffered.)

Observation:
There is no “Reconnect” button on this screen in my Model 3. Only “Disconnect” and “Forget This Device” buttons.

(I’m currently on 2020.4.1.)

Tesla didn’t say anything about it needing iOS 13 and I was able to use it (kind of) when it first rolled out. Yesterday, however, even though I was able to have an incoming message read to me, I saw a quick flash about iOS 13 when I tried to respond.

I’m using an iPhone 6 so limited to the latest security update on iOS 12. I don’t do a lot of texting but, since this is a safety feature, I’m really surprised that Tesla didn’t make it backward compatible to the stone age. Obviously, there has to be a cutoff with Bluetooth protocols but the last version of an os seems a bit short sighted; especially since it did (kind of) work initially.

Thanks for starting this thread. Tough to find any info about the issue.

I have an iphone 6, and can’t use the messaging features. Why can’t Tesla rewrite these messenger features to work with older ios software? It’s ridiculous to have to buy a new iphone just to have this feature(s).

because they have about 30,000 more important things to do than re-write the SW to work with a phone that was already discontinued a year before the first Model 3 was even sold?

13.3.1 on my SE
From twitter “ To enable text messaging with the new update you do the following:
On the Tesla display, go to bluetooth connected phones, next to your phone click the little ">" to pull up the bluetooth settings for that connected phone, then click RECONNECT. When it reconnects it will ask for permission to access your text messages.“
Will try later when 3 is back home.
Also, after you do this, remember it will only show new texts. So your existing ones will not appear. Send yourself a test text and it should appear on your tesla’s display. Best of luck.