Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TFL Cybertruck Tow Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDW: It can tow. Four wheel steering and air suspension are great. Range not so great at ~55mph:
1707060874044.png

Take-away. The CyberTruck tows great...but not very far.

Those that want/need to often tow heavy loads for great distances will still still be better off with a heavy duty Diesel truck.
CyberTruck will work in a pinch, but you need to consider short range and stopping every 100 or so miles to unhook and charge up.
Booster battery in the bed might help in some circumatances, but big Diesel is still the Pickup heavy duty champ.

I have towed 2,000 lbs in my 100 kWh Model X. It did amazingly well, but I was only going 150 miles or so, and stopping at a SuperCharger once was no biggie, as I had lots of time, and it was far easier than renting a large pickup for the task.

EVs work great for casual recreational towing, like taking a boat or jet skis to the lake. Also good for towing a camping trailer to a nearby campsite. They have an amazing towing experience as you are in a non-smelly, quiet, and powerful vehicle with good electronics.

Just as trying to use a CyberTruck to provide heavy duty, long distance towing, is perhaps an inappropriate choice, it is equally foolish to chose a huge truck, with a large towing capacity, to commute to and from work or running around...yet many owners do just that.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Take-away. The CyberTruck tows great...but not very far.

Those that want/need to often tow heavy loads for great distances will still still be better off with a heavy duty Diesel truck.
CyberTruck will work in a pinch, but you need to consider short range and stopping every 100 or so miles to unhook and charge up.
Booster battery in the bed might help in some circumatances, but big Diesel is still the Pickup heavy duty champ.

I have towed 2,000 lbs in my 100 kWh Model X. It did amazingly well, but I was only going 150 miles or so, and stopping at a SuperCharger once was no biggie, as I had lots of time, and it was far easier than renting a large pickup for the task.

EVs work great for casual recreational towing, like taking a boat or jet skis to the lake. Also good for towing a camping trailer to a nearby campsite. They have an amazing towing experience as you are in a non-smelly, quiet, and powerful vehicle with good electronics.

Just as trying to use a CyberTruck to provide heavy duty, long distance towing, is perhaps an inappropriate choice, it is equally foolish to chose a huge truck, with a large towing capacity, to commute to and from work or running around...yet many owners do just that.
Agreed, that pretty much sums it up. I'd add that the neutered steering wheel and mirrors really aren't suited to the task.
However, just because you may see someone using their HD truck while not towing or carrying a heavy payload, it doesn't mean the owner doesn't use it for those tasks. It can be cheaper to have the higher fuel costs as a "one, do it all" vehicle, verses the cost of an additional car, insurance, etc. People step up to HD trucks for a specific purpose.

Reactions: fhteagle
People take their HD Trucks to the Supermarket to Walmart to Restaurants. If you drive past a Church on Sunday you will see them in the Parking Lot. Some people have more than One HD Truck.

For sure.

However, Is building an entire additional EV car for the 'no-truck needed' days more environmentally sound than driving the truck you need 1-2x/ week, everyday? Because for most, it certainly isn't cost effective to add an additional vehicle for the easy days.

Reactions: FLRifleman