Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Range Edmunds Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Real World" range tests usually have vehicle bombing down the Highway at 75 mph. This, of course, will show less range than EPA testing. EPA uses lower speed stop and go testing as well. This is where the Tesla regeneration system becomes effective, and shows increased range.

ICE cars will do best at steady state cruising, where they can keep in the highest gear of their multi speed gearboxes. They do their worst when starting and stopping plus some idle time.
EVs get their best range when in stop and go traffic, plus some idle time at stop lights.

EVs get better range in the cities, and worst on highways. Ice gets their worst range in the cities and best on the Highways.

As always YMMV :)

And now they admit a boo-boo. They used 240 miles as the anticipated range, but realized that they had the AT tires on, which decreased the range.

So now it surpasses the anticipated range.

**340**

Also, this test was done at certain speeds that in reality no one uses only its specifically in city driving.

Still impressive IMO, not sure if that range is worth the design hit though.

**340**

Also, this test was done at certain speeds that in reality no one uses only its specifically in city driving.

Still impressive IMO, not sure if that range is worth the design hit though.
Yes, I had a type.

Not sure why you seem to think that city driving isn't the most common use. It's like 2:1, City vs Highway driving in the US.

But the MOST IMPORTANT PART. It's THIER version of a standardized test. One that they use for multiple vehicles to compare against each other.

Like the EPA standards, standardized testing is not intended to tell you the range that you will get, it's to compare model against model and manufacturer against manufacturer.

Reactions: Nack and gsmith123
EVs get their best range when in stop and go traffic, plus some idle time at stop lights.

I'm just being pedantic, but EVs get their best range at constant lower speeds, not in stop and go traffic. Recapturing energy through regen is less efficient than simply going a constant speed, so stop and go doesn't increase the range of the EV.

Air resistance goes up as a square function. If you double the speed, you get 4x the air resistance. Idle losses are linear with the time spent driving. If you double the time the trip takes, you get double the idle losses.

ICE cars lose so much energy to waste heat, they are most efficient when they get from point A to point B at a fairly high speed. While that incurs more air resistance losses, they need to minimize the time spent traveling to minimize the ridiculous amount of energy the engines waste.

So stop and go traffic is more efficient than traveling at high speed for an EV, and the opposite is true for an ICE, but traveling slowly in an EV without the stop and go is even better.

I'm just being pedantic, but EVs get their best range at constant lower speeds, not in stop and go traffic. Recapturing energy through regen is less efficient than simply going a constant speed, so stop and go doesn't increase the range of the EV.

Air resistance goes up as a square function. If you double the speed, you get 4x the air resistance. Idle losses are linear with the time spent driving. If you double the time the trip takes, you get double the idle losses.

ICE cars lose so much energy to waste heat, they are most efficient when they get from point A to point B at a fairly high speed. While that incurs more air resistance losses, they need to minimize the time spent traveling to minimize the ridiculous amount of energy the engines waste.

So stop and go traffic is more efficient than traveling at high speed for an EV, and the opposite is true for an ICE, but traveling slowly in an EV without the stop and go is even better.

Being even more pedantic...

EVs get their best range at lower speeds.
But when you compare EVs to ICE, EVs get their best results in start and go traffic. That's because ICE tends to go to infinity. Yes, 10 Gal/0 miles.

I disagree slightly with your characterization of ICE energy. In my book, the efficiency is defined by the speed at which the designed optimizes the gears for. And that's based on motor curves. Go much above 80 and ICE start burning fuel like EVs do.

EVs get their best range at lower speeds.
But when you compare EVs to ICE, EVs get their best results in start and go traffic. That's because ICE tends to go to infinity. Yes, 10 Gal/0 miles.
I'm not following this. When stopped, the ICE is still idling and going nowhere. That equals 0 mgp. I did get 99mpg in my Corvette going downhill with the clutch in. But that was because the digital readout was only two digit. But I probably misunderstand your example.

Last edited:
"Real World" range tests usually have vehicle bombing down the Highway at 75 mph. This, of course, will show less range than EPA testing. EPA uses lower speed stop and go testing as well. This is where the Tesla regeneration system becomes effective, and shows increased range.

ICE cars will do best at steady state cruising, where they can keep in the highest gear of their multi speed gearboxes. They do their worst when starting and stopping plus some idle time.

EVs get better range in the cities, and worst on highways. Ice gets their worst range in the cities and best on the Highways.

As always YMMV :)
This is true, but let’s not overstate the Regen gains. They are nothing really, unless your coming down a mountain with a low SOC. When driving in the city, Regen will slow you down, but not add to the range.

I pick up about 16 miles of range coming down from 5200 feet 9f my SOC is about 1/2 to 3/4. Obviously when you are charged to 90% or a 100% for a trip, the Regen is off, or mostly off.

Reactions: Nack
Here’s my experience. Picked up the AWD Cybertruck new from Carlsbad, Ca last Thursday and took first long distance drive yesterday to Pasadena and back. I charged to 318 miles the night before. Trip was 173 round trip and when I got back home I had 145 miles left of range. Most of the trip was freeway driving and some of it over 80….but some of it slow. Very happy to see for myself the reports of 164-220 miles of range are ridiculous.

I'm not following this. When stopped, the ICE is still idling and going nowhere. That equals 0 mgp. I did get 99mpg in my Corvette going downhill with the clutch in. But that was because the digital readout was only two digit. But I probably misunderstand your example.

When stopped, an ICE doesn't really get 0 mpg, it becomes gallons per 0 miles. It's kinda like negative mpg.

This is true, but let’s not overstate the Regen gains. They are nothing really, unless your coming down a mountain with a low SOC. When driving in the city, Regen will slow you down, but not add to the range.

I pick up about 16 miles of range coming down from 5200 feet 9f my SOC is about 1/2 to 3/4. Obviously when you are charged to 90% or a 100% for a trip, the Regen is off, or mostly off.

Regen counts for about 30% of the power that is used while driving.

Hahaha. Not close. There is zero added that can be measure.

It’s just not true

Hahaha. Not close. There is zero added that can be measure.

It’s just not true
Then why does range reduce significantly when you have regen turned off?

1708904599010.png

1.6kWh regen out of 5.27 used.

This has been measured.