Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That's me priced out of a Models S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a few of the new revamp additions including the new console;

Tesla Motors (TSLA) boosted the EPA-stated driving range of its most popular electric car, the Model S, to 294 miles for the longest-range version for sale at its website, with its own estimated range over 300 miles...
  • The front fascia and headlights “now have a design similar to that found on Model X (the electric crossover that Tesla started delivering in September).”
  • A HEPA air filtration system that was only on the Model X is now available, and is “100 times more effective than all other premium automotive filters.”
  • The standard charger in the Model S is now “upgraded from 40 amps to 48 amps,” enabling “faster charging when connected to higher amperage charging sources.”
  • Two new interior choices: Figured Ash Wood Decor and Dark Ash Wood Decor.
Tesla Model S Electric Car Gets EPA Range Boost To 294 Miles

That is why the price has gone up. Still, well worth it to get the larger battery and extended range and increased charging rates, it is hands down the best BEV on the market for perhaps years to come.

Evie'sDad....... yes we know why the price has increased. But you seem to missing the fact that over here in the UK the price increase is over $6000.

Do you honestly think the revamp items you list above are worth that increase? I don't, which is why I won't be buying a Tesla!

You might well be happy to pay a $1500 increase in the US, but would you be willing to pay $6000? I very much doubt it!

Will the price go up or down if we leave the EU?

I very much doubt that it will make a difference one way or the other. Certainly not in the short/medium term.

I find the talk surrounding a potential BREXIT reminiscent of the talk that surrounded the Millennium Bug. A lot of talk forecasting potential disaster, which in the end turned out to be totally unfounded.

Evie'sDad....... yes we know why the price has increased. But you seem to missing the fact that over here in the UK the price increase is over $6000.

Do you honestly think the revamp items you list above are worth that increase? I don't, which is why I won't be buying a Tesla!

You might well be happy to pay a $1500 increase in the US, but would you be willing to pay $6000? I very much doubt it!

There are rebates and incentives in some US states , do you folks have them in UK. It is pretty premium priced in Canadian dollars:eek: as well inspite of our dollar going up steadily..Good luck

There are rebates and incentives in some US states , do you folks have them in UK. It is pretty premium priced in Canadian dollars:eek: as well inspite of our dollar going up steadily..Good luck

Yes we do get a government subsidy, it's currently $6480 USD (recently reduced from $7200 USD.) It has a limited lifespan and is due to run out some time in 2017 I believe.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the car has been developed and is built in the USA and so I expect to pay a premium for a UK delivered RHD vehicle. But no one has yet been able to explain to me why a $1500 price increase in the US translates into a $6000 increase here in the UK. It feels like we're being taken for a bit of a ride over here! One that I'm not willing to pay for!!

I understand you have similar issues in Canada!!

Last edited:
Yes we do get a government subsidy, it's currently $6480 USD (recently reduced from $7200 USD.) It has a limited lifespan and is due to run out some time in 2017 I believe.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the car has been developed and is built in the USA and so I expect to pay a premium for a UK delivered RHD vehicle. But no one has yet been able to explain to me why a $1500 price increase in the US translates into a $6000 increase here in the UK. It feels like we're being taken for a bit of a ride over here! One that I'm not willing to pay for!!

I understand you have similar issues in Canada!!

Last year GBP/USD was at 1.53, this year it's at 1.43. Therefore exchange rate alone equals $10,000 price increase per $100k spent..

Considering the above, if if you had bought USD (in the amount of Tesla cost) last year you would experience no price increase at all. On the bright side since Brexit (uncertainty) is devaluing the GBP and it'll be over as soon as vote is done.

Last edited:
Last year GBP/USD was at 1.53, this year it's at 1.43. Therefore exchange rate alone equals $10,000 price increase per $100k spent..

Considering the above, if if you had bought USD (in the amount of Tesla cost) last year you would experience no price increase at all. On the bright side since Brexit (uncertainty) is devaluing the GBP and it'll be over as soon as vote is done.

Your maths is a little out Vitold:

$100,000 @ 1.53 = £65,360
$100,000 @ 1.43 = £69,930

That's a £4570 differential, nowhere near $10,000 (more like $6500)

However, before we get bogged down in exchange rates etc. I'll just say that I think the Model S is a truly great car. I've had two test drives and was really impressed with most aspects of it. But for me it's retail price is too expensive here in the UK. And if future face-lifts push the price disproportionaly higher (as I believe the last one just has) then it's doubtful that I'll purchase one.

Last edited:
Your maths is a little out Vitold:

$100,000 @ 1.53 = £65,360
$100,000 @ 1.43 = £69,930

That's a £4570 differential, nowhere near $10,000 (more like $6500)

However, before we get bogged down in exchange rates etc. I'll just say that I think the Model S is a truly great car. I've had two test drives and was really impressed with most aspects of it. But for me it's retail price is too expensive here in the UK. And if future face-lifts push the price disproportionaly higher (as I believe the last one just has) then it's doubtful that I'll purchase one.

With correct numbers you still have to agree that Tesla was loosing money until they hiked the price. You're not just paying for the refresh but also to cover currency exchange costs.

With correct numbers you still have to agree that Tesla was loosing money until they hiked the price. You're not just paying for the refresh but also to cover currency exchange costs.

Except that this is the second price increase in 6 months and the previous one conceded with, and accounted for, the exchange rate drop.

Also you shouldn't have any extra to pay in the UK with the car being built in the EU.

Lawtq

Maybe 9 years?

Will Norway ban gas & diesel cars by 2025? - 100% renewable - Renewables International

Will Norway ban gas & diesel cars by 2025?
German bloggers report that the Norwegians are looking into adopting a National Transport Plan with 100 percent electric cars, buses, and small trucks by 2025 for new vehicles. There seems to have been no news at all about this in English even though the plans are quite advanced and could soon become law.

The plan itself is available as a PDF, but only in Norwegian – and I cannot read it (the thing has 334 pages). But according to one German blogger, Norway plans to ban sales of new cars that are not electric within 10 years. The only exceptions would be larger vehicles – but even 75 percent of coaches and half of heavy trucks would still have to be electric by 2030.

The plan was published at the end of February and is now waiting for approval in Norwegian Parliament. More than a fifth of new cars sold in Norway are already electric.

Another German blogger explains that Norway aims to spend 1 billion euros on bike paths from 2018 to 2029, the timeframe for the National Transport Plan.

Given the length of the PDF, one wonders why this has not been reported on more widely. Apparently, the plan is quite detailed and specific and only needs adopting in Parliament.

Norway itself is reliant upon offshore oil and gas production for much of its income, but this source of revenue is being squeezed out from two directions: production itself is dropping, and prices have plummeted over roughly the past year. The country may well be looking for ways to protect itself from a market that made it rich – but is now coming to an end.

Let’s see what news we get in the next few weeks, and if you know of anything yourself do drop us a comment below.

This is great progress, but why wait until 2025? How about 2020, since by then you'll probably be able to get very affordable used Model Xs, Ss and 3s. Tesla will hopefully have a truck out by then too.

I also found the price hike for a full-house facelift P90D was now way beyond my abilities so I was having to bite on the bullet and look at a 90D. However I was being pragmatic about it and accepting that amongst many other factors, sterling has gone south against the dollar and I knew that the original UK introduction prices were set at an unsustainably low level and would not possibly last anyway. From outside the industry, it is very easy to get drawn into the idea that importing is a simple and cheap operation. Having spent quite a few years in import/export, it left me with the lasting impression that it can be tough for manufacturers to break into foreign markets. Having seen the toll that Forex, insurance, shipping, local legisation, regulations, infrastructure and taxes, takes on a manufacturer, I no longer take the somewhat simplistic view that we in the UK are being exploited by foreign car manufacturers.

There is a silver lining to this cloud. The flip side to a new model upgrade is that the manufacturer clears out all their old stock and demonstrators as fast as they can in order to cashflow the new model demonstrator stock. I bagged a P85D demonstrator last week and typical of it being a demo, it was fully specced to showcase all the options. So I instead of Ludicrous I got Insane, I did not get HEPA, LED and a new nose, but last week I didn't know they even existed. I got the colour, trim, wheels, model and spec I was after. I can even upgrade to 90kw later if a bonus comes in.

There is a showroom P85D at Brent Cross with 5 miles on the clock that has just gone for almost -£18k under book. What is there to complain about? Time to go shopping.....

Unfortunately, pragmatism for me was the 70D and a car built in the Netherlands will surely be subject to a lot less in duties coming to the UK ?

The deal is done for me now anyway, I'll see what develops from the German big three alongside Tesla in the next 2 years.
My funds have gone on an Autosleeper instead.

I too was shocked at how much the prices have increased.
Paid 80K for mine delivered in December 15, now 90K for the same spec.
80K was just about okay value wise, 90K would be too much for me.
A fully optioned P90D is now pushing 120K!!!
and that is silly money ... until you consider what you would have to pay for a car that does 0-60 in 3secs, about the only acceleration performance rival would be the GT-R.

Hopefully this will straighten out once this idiotic EU referendum is out of the way.

For one thing, the Macan doesnt have a 17 inch screen with Google Maps traffic layer on it.
That feature alone has saved me endless hours sat in traffic jams, I got to 20 hours and have lost count since.
The Autopilot is a joy to use, Spotify is great, the preheat/cooling of the car from the app, the autopilot, never in the wrong gear, no need to regularly paddle in sand and diesel in rain and wind swept filling stations twice a week ... as soon as you start thinking about it there are just so many reasons why the MS adds up as a great car to own, and that's before you get the the eco/emissions part.

One thing I dont get is the build and trim quality complaints, maybe this dates back to older examples.
Mine is absolutely great, no squeaks or rattles, premium Nappa leather on most surfaces, distinct lack of useless knobs and gadgets but that is an advantage as far as I am concerned.
Go look at the current crop of C Class for a polar opposite example of horrendous glitz and bling and useless twiddly bits - absolutely hideous to my eyes (I was going to buy a new C63S at one point but couldn't stand the interior, and the exterior not much better, the sound of that V8 motor is quite compelling though).