Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The American EV boom is about to begin. Does the US have the power to charge it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: voyager
Here's the direct link:

Nothing of substance in the article. Usual mention about the issue of people who live in apartments or park on the street and of course equity is mentioned.

Reactions: h2ofun
Did Tesla bring in portable chargers with Solar Power to charge cars in the Hurricane areas
Is that a serious question?
Think how many problems with there are with portable chargers using solar power. Mobile solar power is not generally a great idea. Pretty expensive and not much usefullness.

I have a 48 panel grid and this time of year on a good sunny day, I could basically take a near empty battery to full in 24 hours. That would seem like a lot to move around just to charge 1 car per day. I am not too sure there are too many Tesla owners that both live on west coast FL and stayed there just to see how bad it would get. And the ones that did, have access to a gas car.

I don't see how battery swap answers the grid question or really any question. Have you charged a newer Model 3? You would have to make that battery supercheap - so that I didn't worry about its quality - and make the swap ridiculously fast. Just because people don't understand range and battery charging, is not a reason to try and come up with a viable battery swap.

I mean it is okay to try it as an "all-of-the-above" techniques but even the EU isn't going to have a standard phone charger until 2024. And think how ridiculously easy that is. And when will the US get that? Making the point that the US can't agree on anything especially when it has to do with a rule for a corporation.

A true good battery swap plan would have a few primary manufacturers (or one). That isn't great for many reasons. And right now the biggest one hasn't done anything to move that way after talking about it 6 years ago. Now perhaps tied into a battery lease like Vinfast - maybe. So if Vinfast sells 5 million cars say 3 years from now (they won't), then maybe they could do it. Battery leasing is a relatively good idea - but it represents such a major shift in how we buy cars that people will probably not go for it in big numbers. And to a new, foreign company? I would be fairly skeptical and I was ready to buy a Tesla in 2013 (waited until 2015 which turned out to be a good idea in retrospect).

Is that a serious question?
Think how many problems with there are with portable chargers using solar power. Mobile solar power is not generally a great idea. Pretty expensive and not much usefullness.

I have a 48 panel grid and this time of year on a good sunny day, I could basically take a near empty battery to full in 24 hours. That would seem like a lot to move around just to charge 1 car per day. I am not too sure there are too many Tesla owners that both live on west coast FL and stayed there just to see how bad it would get. And the ones that did, have access to a gas car.

I don't see how battery swap answers the grid question or really any question. Have you charged a newer Model 3? You would have to make that battery supercheap - so that I didn't worry about its quality - and make the swap ridiculously fast. Just because people don't understand range and battery charging, is not a reason to try and come up with a viable battery swap.

I mean it is okay to try it as an "all-of-the-above" techniques but even the EU isn't going to have a standard phone charger until 2024. And think how ridiculously easy that is. And when will the US get that? Making the point that the US can't agree on anything especially when it has to do with a rule for a corporation.

A true good battery swap plan would have a few primary manufacturers (or one). That isn't great for many reasons. And right now the biggest one hasn't done anything to move that way after talking about it 6 years ago. Now perhaps tied into a battery lease like Vinfast - maybe. So if Vinfast sells 5 million cars say 3 years from now (they won't), then maybe they could do it. Battery leasing is a relatively good idea - but it represents such a major shift in how we buy cars that people will probably not go for it in big numbers. And to a new, foreign company? I would be fairly skeptical and I was ready to buy a Tesla in 2013 (waited until 2015 which turned out to be a good idea in retrospect).
Someone did modify their TESLA to be able to Solar Charge…

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I wonder what ever happened to battery swap?
If the government is to get involved they should standardize EV battery shapes and terminals so someday we can just pull up and swap out… a lot easier infrastructure than charging stations everywhere and it also help with range anxiety. Anyone who has ever had a battery issue or sudden unexpected range loss knows what I mean.

The American EV boom is about to begin. Does the US have the power to charge it? — Guardian US
If you want actual math on if the power gets could handle EVs, watch this video

I don't think battery swap stains solve the issues you think there are. First of all, having a common (or even multiple) battery sizes among manufacturers and even among product lines of the same manufacturer won't work because vehicles are very different with different designs and purposes. It would sacrifice weight and certain features for commonality. Also, some manufacturers (Tesla is one of them) are moving towards making the battery pack a structural part of the chassis. This would make it a little more complicated to do a battery swap. Next, battery packs are large and heavy and a swap station would need equipment to charge them, move them, cool them, and store them all. There would be a lot space used in that, especially since you would need a lot of extra battery packs to exist in order to make them available for cars to swap. You are also increasing the potential for failure from swapping out coolant lines and electrical connections repeatedly. Finally, there's the sentiment from customers that they will be receiving an older or more beat up battery pack when they swap. I prefer to keep my own battery than to swap in a questionable one.

If you want actual math on if the power gets could handle EVs, watch this video

I don't think battery swap stains solve the issues you think there are. First of all, having a common (or even multiple) battery sizes among manufacturers and even among product lines of the same manufacturer won't work because vehicles are very different with different designs and purposes.
That's why an OEM (Panasonic? Why not?) should work on standardized swappable battteries, not unlike switching batteries in your RC toy car. The bigger (heavier) the car, the more of them need to be swapped.

bmw%20and%20SEV%20electric%20toy%20cars%20(1).jpg

That's why an OEM (Panasonic? Why not?) should work on standardized swappable battteries, not unlike switching batteries in your RC toy car. The bigger (heavier) the car, the more of them need to be swapped.

bmw%20and%20SEV%20electric%20toy%20cars%20(1).jpg
Swappable batteries means there need to be a lot more batteries manufactured, they will take up a lot of space to store them and have the swapping equipment, and many people (like myself) would not want to trade their batteries for an unknown condition one. I think the better solution is photovoltaic carports over parking lots with battery storage like Tesla's Megapack. Megapack would still take up some extra room, but more space efficient than a bunch of random battery packs being stored and the equipment to swap them.

Today, about 1% of our vehicles are electric. What will happen in 2035 when many more EVs need to be charged,
potentially during another heatwave? If climate change activists are correct and the temperature continues to tick up,
wouldn’t the extra burden of having to charge millions of EVs cripple an already-strained electric system?

Today, about 1% of our vehicles are electric. What will happen in 2035 when many more EVs need to be charged,
potentially during another heatwave? If climate change activists are correct and the temperature continues to tick up,
wouldn’t the extra burden of having to charge millions of EVs cripple an already-strained electric system?

Adding grid storage to a grid that needs grid storage is very unlikely to cause a problem...