Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The car and traffic display could be better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car and traffic display could be better:
  • Your car shows the brake lamps lighting up, but they are tiny and hard to see, especially if the taillamps are also shown to be on. But it does not show the center brake lamp lighting up, which would make it more obvious that the brake lamps are on.
  • Having more view behind your car instead of in front of your car on the display would be more helpful, since the driver is mostly looking ahead. Being able to notice potentially overtaking traffic on the traffic display would be more helpful.

Your car shows the brake lamps lighting up, but they are tiny and hard to see, especially if the taillamps are also shown to be on. But it does not show the center brake lamp lighting up, which would make it more obvious that the brake lamps are on.
Even more true when you have a red car. The tiny brake light indicators just get lost in the mass of red depicting the car.

Having more view behind your car instead of in front of your car on the display would be more helpful, since the driver is mostly looking ahead. Being able to notice potentially overtaking traffic on the traffic display would be more helpful.
I'm not sure the rear camera has sufficient range to show more traffic behind. It's more of a fish-eye lens than a distance lens.

• Your car shows the brake lamps lighting up, but they are tiny and hard to see, especially if the taillamps are also shown to be on. But it does not show the center brake lamp lighting up, which would make it more obvious that the brake lamps are on.

While it might be amusing, why exactly do you need to see when the brake lights engage?

• Having more view behind your car instead of in front of your car on the display would be more helpful, since the driver is mostly looking ahead. Being able to notice potentially overtaking traffic on the traffic display would be more helpful.
Remember that the primary purpose of the cameras is for AP/FSD*. Being able to view the camera is just an additional bonus
*Staying away from the sensor/camera debate

I've noticed that the view backs out some when the turn signal comes on, I guess as a blind spot assist. It would be nice if it stayed zoomed out that far as an additional awareness aid. But yeah mostly that display is just useless for those of us without FSD...

Reactions: brianbcc
I think the car visualizations just need to be more accurate in terms of relative positioning vs real life.

By the time the screen shows a car in the next lane at my rear bumper, it’s actually damn near next to my drivers door already.

I’d prefer it to be shrunk/optional.

More space for the other functions that I occasionally glance down at while using the windows as the primary view of my driving environment.

Sure, the little graphic gives a rough view of what the car sees which is nice coming up to a complicated intersection in FSD… but otherwise it’s mostly for show IMHO.

But it does not show the center brake lamp lighting up, which would make it more obvious that the brake lamps are on.
Just for comparison, my Feb 2022 MSLR shows brake bar in the instrument panel in front of the yoke.
20231112_153056.jpg
20231112_153048.jpg

You are slowing down with regen braking for stopped or slow traffic ahead in a traffic jam or at a red light and may want to know if the brake lamps are on because there is full speed traffic some distance behind you.
  1. So in a situation where you are slowing down (because you are approaching slow/stopped cars), you want to be looking away from the road? Not exactly a good time to allow yourself to be distracted.
  2. What exactly are you going to do with this information should you be able to see that the brake light is illuminated? If you are truly worried about cars behind you being notified, apply a light amount of braking (with the actual brake pedal). If the regen is light enough to not warrant illuminating the brake light, it is not that hard of a slow-down. If your foot is completely off the accelerator and you are going over ~15-20 MPH (I don't know the actual threshold - just my guess at the range), your brake light is being illuminated.

The driver's display seems mostly eye candy.
  • Own car size too small, overtaking cars are shown behind when actually beside except when stopped.
  • Forward view is fisheyed with cars in front too small.
  • Red/green light display too small, close to useless
  • Stop sign display too small
  • Almost no display of overtaking cars although side cameras can easily see them.
  • Prominent display of trashcans far into the distance - Why?
  • No display of cross traffic