Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The controversy in fast charging for electric vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The picture shows the car being charged with a Mennekes connector, it doesn't show it using all 3 phases.

It probably draws power from L1, that means 16A.
It's worth reading the full article... "A full charge takes about eight hours using a regular household power outlet or between three and four hours using the 400-volt quick charge systems Volkswagen had at its test center in Wolfsburg, Germany"

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/1062883_2014-volkswagen-golf-blue-e-motion-first-drive/page-2

The regen circuitry is an integral part of the motor drive, not a separate unit. A combined motor drive and charger unit would have to be designed as such.

Yes, and it seems the design priority is currently high efficiency. Mixing battery types (high power/cycle life vs high energy density) is another possibility not yet approached.

I have a hard time believing that Audi, BMW, Daimler, Porsche and Volkswagen would engage in a cooperation with RWE, Mennekes and Nuon to define and implement a three phase charging network spanning Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Slovenia and Croatia if they didn't plan to make cars that can use it.

The combined European market share of the above car makers is quite substantial.

In the US, J1772 AC Level 2 is now deployed as the standard slow charging method. The standard is defined up to 19 kW AC, but only up to 7 kW is being deployed. Mennekes defines up to 44 kW, but that may remain a theoretical value for a long time.

Tesla announced early on that Model S would support charging at up to 80 A/480 V three phase. The question is whether they have dropped those plans due to the chorus demanding support for J1772 and CHAdeMO. I haven't heard anything definite for a very long time.

Sources please?

I think it is simply not fair to create expectations that Tesla will use 3 phase for fast charging. In all likelihood this will get people heated up about supposedly cheap 3 phase and then be disappointed and blame Tesla if it doesn't happen.

Yes, and it seems the design priority is currently high efficiency. Mixing battery types (high power/cycle life vs high energy density) is another possibility not yet approached.

I'm not sure I understood what you meant by that. Three phase AC to DC conversion is highly efficient, much more so than single phase.

In the US, J1772 AC Level 2 is now deployed as the standard slow charging method. The standard is defined up to 19 kW AC, but only up to 7 kW is being deployed. Mennekes defines up to 44 kW, but that may remain a theoretical value for a long time.

I've provided sources that state that the rollout of 63 A three phase charge poles equipped with Mennekes connectors starts in 2014. The CHAdeMO chargers need exactly the same grid hookup - actually an even larger one to get the full 50 kW.

Sources please?

I think it is simply not fair to create expectations that Tesla will use 3 phase for fast charging. In all likelihood this will get people heated up about supposedly cheap 3 phase and then be disappointed and blame Tesla if it doesn't happen.

Certainly. 480 V is three phase. The charging time given (45 minutes) makes sense too, the 160 mile battery would have around 45 kWh capacity. Recharging 45 kWh in 45 minutes with 480 V three phase would require about 72 A.

As a little aside - the name of the guy that invented three phase AC distribution, which is the backbone of the electrical grid, was Nikola Tesla. This is one of the greatest triumphs of engineering of all time. How could Tesla Motors not support that? Poor old Nikola would be spinning at grid synchronous speed in his grave :)

Last edited:

I'm not sure I understood what you meant by that. Three phase AC to DC conversion is highly efficient, much more so than single phase.

I think what Norbert was suggesting was that some EV maker may start offering "traction packs" (ESSes) with a mix of different types of cells. For instance you could have a "front end" of very power dense cells (e.g.: A123) with a bank of energy dense cells behind it so you get a "hybrid pack" that tries to get the best compromise of high power and high energy density. I gather such a pack might complicate the quick charging strategies as the different cell types may have different quick charge capability.

So far it seems everyone is using same type cells throughout, but I gather mixing cell types might make sense in some configurations someday.

Perhaps it is all just a hypothetical consideration for now though.

Sources please?

JB Straubel told me personally that Model S will have 3-phase charging in Europe. He also mentioned to me that in America Model S will charge up to 277V, thats phase to neutral at the 480V 3-phase grid. But I think he was talking about single phase use and more than 20kW load.

JB Straubel told me personally that Model S will have 3-phase charging in Europe. He also mentioned to me that in America Model S will charge up to 277V, thats phase to neutral at the 480V 3-phase grid. But I think he was talking about single phase use and more than 20kW load.

I think support for 3-phase is likely, but it doesn't replace DC fast charging at the speeds Tesla will need.

With "design priority", I mean that there are a lot of possible features for a PEM that they could do research & development for, but they will need to focus there efforts on the most important ones. That, I think, is currently the over-all efficiency of the car (for the alpha builds apparently around 300 Wh/mile), so I think the design of the power train will prioritize that, and that other features (like the one TEG explained) may get added in future development.

I've provided sources that state that the rollout of 63 A three phase charge poles equipped with Mennekes connectors starts in 2014. The CHAdeMO chargers need exactly the same grid hookup - actually an even larger one to get the full 50 kW.

You seem to be referring to this: Electric vehicle network Information, Electric vehicle network Article & Encyclopedia Resource - iReference.ca
Apparently a canadian website (not necessarily the most informed about Mennekes) without an "About us".
Referring to an "interim report" from NPE, it says:

As for charging stations a wide network of fast-charging points is considered possible with 22*kW (400*V 32*A) stations to be introduced in 2010-2013 and 44*kW (400*V 63*A) stations to be introduced in 2014-2017. For the time beyond 2020 there is an expectation of charging stations at 60*kW (400*V DC 150*A) allowing to charge the standard 20kWh battery pack to 80% in less than 10 minutes whereas this station type requires integration with smart grid technology and a strict world-wide standard (including SAE procedures).

Again, you see that 3-phase will go up to 44 kW, whereas for 60 kW, the charging method is DC (expecting the latter post 2020). General expectation on this forum is that Tesla will be interested in charging speeds even higher than that, already for the mid-2012 Model S.

Furthermore, this "interim" report is merely talking about what is "considered possible", and about the "introduction" of 44 kW in "2014-2017".

I see this source basically as a confirmation that these plans are not interesting for Tesla as a fast-charging method replacing DC.

In addition, there are articles like this: Power Politics: Competing Charging Standards Could Threaten Adoption of Electric Vehicles: Scientific American
which suggest that BMW is interested in the SAE DC standard as a universal standard.

Certainly. 480 V is three phase. The charging time given (45 minutes) makes sense too, the 160 mile battery would have around 45 kWh capacity. Recharging 45 kWh in 45 minutes with 480 V three phase would require about 72 A.

Many of us are expecting similar charging times for the 300 mile pack, but even if 45 min applies only to the 160 mile pack, then the required charging time is already beyond 44 kW, so that wouldn't be very future-oriented. CHAdeMO supports up to 100 kW and SAE (DC) 90 kW. I really don't think Tesla would even want to be the company to try pioneer 3 phase 44 kW ahead of time and on its own. If the situation is as your source suggests, then maybe in 2014-2017 when those things actually start happening, and if european carmakers start announcing specific car models with that feature, Tesla might think about supporting 3-phase 44 kW as a medium-speed charging method as well, in addition to lower-power 3-phase slow/medium charging, and higher-power DC fast-charging.

In addition to my reply above, since I hadn't noticed that "Certainly" is a link:

The link doesn't say anything about 3-phase, just "480 V", which is a number often associated with DC charging, for example here:
Washington State to put quick chargers on scenic byway, allow tourists to top-up their EVs -- Engadget

As far as I remember, the planned fast charging method for Model S was always DC wherever such detail was mentioned.

If you take a look at the Charging Station I think it's safe to assume that this is 3 Phase;

http://www.allcarselectric.com/pictures/1062883_2014-volkswagen-golf-blue-e-motion-first-drive_gallery-2#100355438

In case you are responding to my message, it doesn't have anything to do with that charging station.

I was referring to this link, provided by eledille, which is about the Model S, not about Volkswagen: http://webarchive.teslamotors.com/display_data/Spec_ModelS_US.pdfhttp://webarchive.teslamotors.com/display_data/Spec_ModelS_US.pdf

I do believe that the charging station shown in the picture [of *your* link] may be 3-phase, but the article for that photo mentions on page 2 that Volkswagen is also working on a DC charging system:

A full charge takes about eight hours using a regular household power outlet or between three and four hours using the 400-volt quick charge systems Volkswagen had at its test center in Wolfsburg, Germany. While even the quick charge system will be too slow for 99 percent of drivers, the automaker is working on a DC charging system that could potentially top up the batteries in 20 to 30 minutes.

The link doesn't say anything about 3-phase, just "480 V", which is a number often associated with DC charging, for example here:
Washington State to put quick chargers on scenic byway, allow tourists to top-up their EVs -- Engadget

It's not the DC that is 480 V.

The item in the picture is a 480 V AC/DC converter, specifically a CHAdeMO charger, taking 480 V three phase AC from the grid and converting it into DC of whatever voltage the battery requires.

I'm brewing a rather long reply to your last long posting, but it's not ready yet.

Last edited:
It's not the DC that is 480 V.

The item in the picture is a 480 V AC/DC converter, specifically a CHAdeMO charger, taking 480 V three phase AC from the grid and converting it into DC of whatever voltage the battery requires.

It doesn't matter whether that refers to input or output, the point is that 480V is often used to refer to DC fast charging.

Other examples are here:
Nissan Leaf's fast-charge capability optional. Why? Autoblog Green
A full charge will take 8h on a 220/240V home charging station. A 480V quick-charging capability will eventually be available in many markets once a standard is set.

and here:
No Fast-Charging for Volt as GM Questions Need
But it was designed specifically not to accommodate a 480V fast charge, says Britta Gross, director-GM's Global Energy Systems & Infrastructure Commercialization unit.

With "design priority", I mean that there are a lot of possible features for a PEM that they could do research & development for, but they will need to focus there efforts on the most important ones. That, I think, is currently the over-all efficiency of the car (for the alpha builds apparently around 300 Wh/mile), so I think the design of the power train will prioritize that, and that other features (like the one TEG explained) may get added in future development.

Aha.

Modern AC drives have been around for about twenty five years and have about 97% efficiency already. There are no easy pickings there. Support for three phase AC charging using the motor drive, on the other hand, is a big, sweet fruit ready for picking and within reach.

You seem to be referring to this: Electric vehicle network Information, Electric vehicle network Article & Encyclopedia Resource - iReference.ca
Apparently a canadian website (not necessarily the most informed about Mennekes) without an "About us".
Referring to an "interim report" from NPE, it says:

This is the "interim report" on charging infrastructure. It's in German, which is why I linked to an English-language summary. It's written by a VDE task force. VDE is the German equivalent of IEEE (see wikipedia). They have been given the task of planning Germany's future EV infrastructure by the German government. Angela Merkel personally attended the opening session. This is the main site of the interim report.

Again, you see that 3-phase will go up to 44 kW, whereas for 60 kW, the charging method is DC (expecting the latter post 2020). General expectation on this forum is that Tesla will be interested in charging speeds even higher than that, already for the mid-2012 Model S.

Furthermore, this "interim" report is merely talking about what is "considered possible", and about the "introduction" of 44 kW in "2014-2017".

I see this source basically as a confirmation that these plans are not interesting for Tesla as a fast-charging method replacing DC.[/URL]

Please take a deep breath, then go back and re-read my posts :)

I have never suggested that AC should replace DC for quick charging. What I have been arguing for years is that support for three phase is absolutely crucial, and that DC is too expensive to take its role. They have different niches, and both are needed. I have also said that J1772 is useless outside of the regions where high power single phase is common, and that CHAdeMO is too weak.

I will try to summarize.

DC is great for really high power charging, where the regenerative drive isn't powerful enough. This is somewhere around 50 kW, but the high cost of external DC chargers probably means that cost/benefit considerations only make DC charging attractive at around 100 kW and above. In practice, I expect that in Europe, the cutoff of AC charging will be at 44 kW, due to the standardized 400 V/63 A circuit size. I seem to remember that 480 V/80 A is a standard circuit size in the US, which might be why Tesla (I seem to recall) announced 480 V/80 A capability for Model S. I'm currently unable to find references for this last bit, but the exact amperage is really a minor point anyway. But references to Model S being able to charge from "a 480 V outlet" are easy to find. I really hope that Tesla Motors are not such dishonest weasels that they say "from a 480 V outlet" to the press when they mean "from a $50,000 external DC charger connected to a 480 V outlet".

DC is useless for charging at power levels that can be handled by the motor drive directly, because the car contains all the major components needed internally anyway, and the DC charger needs a three phase grid connection anyway. If the DC charger delivers the same amount of power that the motor drive could have handled by itself, there is significant cost and zero benefit. This ratio improves as delivered power increases above the capability of the motor drive, but remains unimpressive until DC power reaches at least twice the power of the regenerative circuitry. That would be somewhere around 50 kW for a small car, 100 kW for a large one. If CHAdeMO really supports 100 kW, then I will admit that it would be very useful for charging relatively small cars, and acceptable for large ones.

Single phase is useless in Europe at power levels above 16 A, because we have no infrastructure for it. We do, however, have infrastructure for the far superior three phase AC. Please take the time to look at the chart at page 13 in the VDE interim report linked to above. They don't even consider single phase at higher power than 16 A, all the rest is DC and three phase AC. They also note that "To enable pure BEVs to travel farther than their battery capacity would normally allow, a significant reduction in charging time is crucial. For this, DC charging is the appropriate way. The DC infrastructure requires much higher investment and will certainly only be available in selected locations, comparable to today's fossil fuel stations." The plan is to use single phase AC at 16 A where nothing else is available, three phase AC everywhere (including at home up to 32 A), and DC quick-charging in selected locations.

Electric power is distributed as three phase power all around the globe, the only difference is whether three phase is run all the way into the homes or stops at the transformer down the road.

Single phase is much harder to convert to DC than three phase. This is just physics. When really large rectifiers are needed, it is not unusual to include a special transformer with two secondary windings feeding the rectifier bridge, one delta wired, the other Y-wired. This converts the three phase to six-phase before rectifying it, because that lowers the overall cost. More phases is better. Look up "rectifier" on Wikipedia. This implies that a high-powered single phase charger is a big, heavy and expensive extra box that is not needed except in the US, the UK and Japan.

In addition, there are articles like this: Power Politics: Competing Charging Standards Could Threaten Adoption of Electric Vehicles: Scientific American
which suggest that BMW is interested in the SAE DC standard as a universal standard.

Many of us are expecting similar charging times for the 300 mile pack, but even if 45 min applies only to the 160 mile pack, then the required charging time is already beyond 44 kW, so that wouldn't be very future-oriented.

Again, I think 480 V/80 A is a common circuit size in the US. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The exact number is unimportant, the interesting thing is to be able to use as high power as possible for the lowest possible cost. In the US, that might be 480 V/80 A, in Europe, it's 400 V/63 A.

CHAdeMO supports up to 100 kW and SAE (DC) 90 kW. I really don't think Tesla would even want to be the company to try pioneer 3 phase 44 kW ahead of time and on its own.

There really isn't much to pioneer. They've pulled off far more impressive things before, like pushing 900 amps through the motor from a battery than can only deliver 600 amps. That was nifty.

If the situation is as your source suggests, then maybe in 2014-2017 when those things actually start happening, and if european carmakers start announcing specific car models with that feature, Tesla might think about supporting 3-phase 44 kW as a medium-speed charging method as well, in addition to lower-power 3-phase slow/medium charging, and higher-power DC fast-charging.

I recently asked my local electrician what he would charge for a new 32 A three phase circuit with a connector on the outer wall. He wanted NOK 4000 for the job. That equals approximately USD 750. This is now, not the future.

It doesn't really matter when other carmakers announce support for three phase when the infrastructure development so clearly is going in that direction. Waiting would amount to giving away the technological lead.

If Model S does not support three phase, then it will be obsolete before it hits the street. But supporting any charging plug or standard that might come along should not be a problem: The charge port should contain an internal Tesla-specific plug hidden from view, into which is inserted whatever interface the user wants to see. As far as I know, the communication protocol is the same for all the plug types. If different communication protocols exist, then Tesla would just have to interface their way out of that problem too. Tesla does not have to choose what plugs to support, the whole problem can be removed at a relatively modest expense, as long as they support single phase, three phase and DC internally. Of course, it would have been cheaper if there was only one global standard, but that is not the situation.

Last edited:
Modern AC drives have been around for about twenty five years and have about 97% efficiency already. There are no easy pickings there.

Perhaps no low-hanging fruit, but as JB Straubel said in a recent presentation, every tenth of a percent counts.

This is the "interim report" on charging infrastructure. It's in German, which is why I linked to an English-language summary. It's written by a VDE task force. VDE is the German equivalent of IEEE (see wikipedia). They have been given the task of planning Germany's future EV infrastructure by the German government. Angela Merkel personally attended the opening session. This is the main site of the interim report.

Reading the report (written in November 2010), I'm not getting the impression that the companies behind the report intend to do very much about fast charging before 2020 (my translation of one of the key sentences: "It appears that in the beginning phase of the developing market in Germany until 2020, the focus will be on charging stations at home and at work."). Although one table has a checkmark for 60 kW charging for 2014-2017, the text in general is so vague and so often mentions 2020, that one wonders whether that checkmark should have been in the empty row for 2018-2020 and is just a print error.

Please take a deep breath, then go back and re-read my posts :)

I have never suggested that AC should replace DC for quick charging. What I have been arguing for years is that support for three phase is absolutely crucial, and that DC is too expensive to take its role. They have different niches, and both are needed. I have also said that J1772 is useless outside of the regions where high power single phase is common, and that CHAdeMO is too weak..

I have read your posts in this thread. CHAdeMO goes up to 100 kW, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly. Your initial post makes the recommendation "beef up the PEM instead of the charger". You have ignored suggestions that CHAdeMO would be used in addition to 3-phase, not instead, and that it supports up to 100 kW. Your argument against CHAdeMO was effectively that three-phase would be better. It isn't.

DC is great for really high power charging, where the regenerative drive isn't powerful enough. This is somewhere around 50 kW, but the high cost of external DC chargers probably means that cost/benefit considerations only make DC charging attractive at around 100 kW and above.

Which cost/benefit considerations? Using the numbers I've given earlier, you find that in the US, the ratio of cars to gas stations is about 2000 to 1. That means that if a fast charger installation is $25.000, this would be about $12 per car. That's probably less than the additional cabling you'd need inside the car for double-use of the PEM. You could argue that a gas station has multiple pumps, but most of EV charging will be done by slow/medium charging at home/work/hotels or potentially wherever you park for longer times, mostly at home. So it appears the general assumption is that fewer fast chargers will be needed.

In practice, I expect that in Europe, the cutoff of AC charging will be at 44 kW, due to the standardized 400 V/63 A circuit size. I seem to remember that 480 V/80 A is a standard circuit size in the US, which might be why Tesla (I seem to recall) announced 480 V/80 A capability for Model S. I'm currently unable to find references for this last bit, but the exact amperage is really a minor point anyway. But references to Model S being able to charge from "a 480 V outlet" are easy to find. I really hope that Tesla Motors are not such dishonest weasels that they say "from a 480 V outlet" to the press when they mean "from a $50,000 external DC charger connected to a 480 V outlet".

Completely disagree. I never saw a single such reference relatable to 3-phase, and it also wouldn't make any sense in the context of information that is available currently. Your use of the expression "dishonest weasels" is completely out of place. I don't buy your "outlet" argument at all.

If CHAdeMO really supports 100 kW, then I will admit that it would be very useful for charging relatively small cars, and acceptable for large ones.

Good. And in so far as it is deployed with 50 kW or 60 kW, it will apparently be the only such technology for quite some time.

Single phase is useless in Europe at power levels above 16 A, because we have no infrastructure for it. We do, however, have infrastructure for the far superior three phase AC. Please take the time to look at the chart at page 13 in the VDE interim report linked to above. They don't even consider single phase at higher power than 16 A, all the rest is DC and three phase AC. They also note that "To enable pure BEVs to travel farther than their battery capacity would normally allow, a significant reduction in charging time is crucial. For this, DC charging is the appropriate way. The DC infrastructure requires much higher investment and will certainly only be available in selected locations, comparable to today's fossil fuel stations." The plan is to use single phase AC at 16 A where nothing else is available, three phase AC everywhere (including at home up to 32 A), and DC quick-charging in selected locations.

If you are saying slow single phase (AC) J1772 is not a good idea in Europe, that is a completely different thing. But back to DC fast charging, it isn't really expensive if you make the correct comparisons (and don't use overly exensive charging stations). As Elon Musk recently mentioned, Tesla would need only $2 million to allow traveling in the US cross country and along both costs (mentioning a cost of $25k per installation).

If Model S does not support three phase, then it will be obsolete before it hits the street. But supporting any charging plug or standard that might come along should not be a problem: The charge port should contain an internal Tesla-specific plug hidden from view, into which is inserted whatever interface the user wants to see.

Model S might be the first major EV to support 3-phase charging as sold in Europe, but I wouldn't expect 44 kW 3-phase, and I wouldn't expect it to use the PEM's regen circuitry, even if both are theoretical possibilities.

Perhaps no low-hanging fruit, but as JB Straubel said in a recent presentation, every tenth of a percent counts.

Compare the importance of two extra miles of range to the ability to use the charge points available to you.

Reading the report (written in November 2010), I'm not getting the impression that the companies behind the report intend to do very much about fast charging before 2020 (my translation of one of the key sentences: "It appears that in the beginning phase of the developing market in Germany until 2020, the focus will be on charging stations at home and at work."). Although one table has a checkmark for 60 kW charging for 2014-2017, the text in general is so vague and so often mentions 2020, that one wonders whether that checkmark should have been in the empty row for 2018-2020 and is just a print error.

I haven't read all of it yet, my German isn't all that good, but so far I think it is quite precise and to the point, very well thought through and focused on feasibility. Also, it is written by a fairly unbiased group of engineers, instead of EV enthusiasts, politicians or marketing departments. It's written by the German association of electrical and electronics engineers, not a group of companies.

They mention 2020 so often because Germany has set a target of one million EVs on the roads by 2020.

My translation from page 11: "Concerning AC charging, charging power of up to 44 kW at 400 Volt is technically feasible within the time frame. Charging times of less than 30 minutes can be achieved within 2015. Due to the higher charging load, control with regard to available grid capacity is necessary. An intelligent connection to the grid is recommended from the start."

Nissan is essentially yelling "Damn the torpedoes! Full ahead!", they are pushing ahead without much thought to how this will actually work down the road. The Germans are pausing to consider how charging at powers approaching 50 kW will affect the grid and how they can integrate this new requirement into the existing infrastructure.

But you are right, the Germans are prioritizing AC because they see that they can get lots of three phase charging poles out there by 2020, while DC quick charging is much harder to implement and the situation concerning standardization is unresolved. The same goes for battery swapping. They are making sure that what they are trying to do is actually possible to achieve within the time frame, and they know that AC charging is. But they are aware of the future potential of DC as an addition to three phase AC.

CHAdeMO is finding out that implementing a DC charging infrastructure based on 50 kW chargers is difficult. They have to upgrade the electrical service to get enough power, the chargers must be very densely spaced for people to actually use them, and they are a single point of failure, like Kevin Sharpe pointed out. They are a very long way from making CHAdeMO chargers pay for themselves, even with paid membership. They aren't profitable even when the competition is home charging at 3.7 kW. Add to this competition from 44 kW AC charging, which will become a reality before 2020 and has a third of the installation costs or less, and the future of 50 kW CHAdeMO is beginning to look very grim.

I have read your posts in this thread. CHAdeMO goes up to 100 kW, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly. Your initial post makes the recommendation "beef up the PEM instead of the charger". You have ignored suggestions that CHAdeMO would be used in addition to 3-phase, not instead, and that it supports up to 100 kW. Your argument against CHAdeMO was effectively that three-phase would be better. It isn't.

I can't find references for the claim that CHAdeMO supports up to 100 kW. All I have found so far is a charger that I believe is able to charge two cars at the same time, at 50 kW each.

I have completely missed the suggestions of DC as an addition to three phase. I'm very sorry about that. That is my primary requirement, but three phase capability will also affect the market for DC charging.

100 kW DC quick chargers would be useful, no doubt about that, but that is extremely ambitious. Even widespread 44 kW three phase is ambitious, which is why the Germans are taking the time needed to integrate them into the power grid. When multiple 44 kW charging poles are hooked up to the same transformer, they will have to talk to the electric utility's server before they're allowed to go up to 63 A. DC chargers will be equally affected by this, of course.

At some point in the future, when there are 100 kW DC chargers waiting for us some tens of miles apart along the highways, then DC chargers will be a wonderful thing. But it's unrealistic to believe that this will happen before 2020, and in the meantime we're stuck with the 50 kW version.

Which cost/benefit considerations? Using the numbers I've given earlier, you find that in the US, the ratio of cars to gas stations is about 2000 to 1. That means that if a fast charger installation is $25.000, this would be about $12 per car. That's probably less than the additional cabling you'd need inside the car for double-use of the PEM. You could argue that a gas station has multiple pumps, but most of EV charging will be done by slow/medium charging at home/work/hotels or potentially wherever you park for longer times, mostly at home. So it appears the general assumption is that fewer fast chargers will be needed.

You need at least two in each location so you can be sure that at least one is working, or they must be very densely spaced. Otherwise you have a system which fails whenever one link in the chain breaks. How do you intend to handle traffic peaks? The system will not work without redundancy and extra capacity.

Completely disagree. I never saw a single such reference relatable to 3-phase, and it also wouldn't make any sense in the context of information that is available currently. Your use of the expression "dishonest weasels" is completely out of place. I don't buy your "outlet" argument at all.

I stand by my statement that advertising the capability of charging "from a 480 V outlet" while neglecting to inform that an external box costing $25000 is also required would be dishonest.

If you are saying slow single phase (AC) J1772 is not a good idea in Europe, that is a completely different thing.

No, you have to look at the broader picture, these things all interact. You guys could conceivably make do with only single phase and DC, but we need three phase no matter what. The density of charge points is very important and a network of DC chargers can never become dense enough to make level 2 charging unnecessary. For level 2 charging, three phase is the only alternative in Europe, and once PEMs capable of charging from the grid have been developed, their additional cost will be very low. That will destroy the lower end of the market for DC chargers globally.

But back to DC fast charging, it isn't really expensive if you make the correct comparisons (and don't use overly exensive charging stations). As Elon Musk recently mentioned, Tesla would need only $2 million to allow traveling in the US cross country and along both costs (mentioning a cost of $25k per installation).

Enabling a single EV to drive across the US is very different from allowing anybody to do the same whenever they want to. There is no way that you can get away with anything remotely similar to $2 million if even five percent of the cars were EVs.

Basing the charging infrastructure on DC would be a mistake, and a large scale rollout of DC chargers at this point would be to start at the wrong end.

Model S might be the first major EV to support 3-phase charging as sold in Europe, but I wouldn't expect 44 kW 3-phase, and I wouldn't expect it to use the PEM's regen circuitry, even if both are theoretical possibilities.

I'm hoping for 44 kW, but I might buy it even if it only supports 22 kW. Less than that is a dealbreaker, then I'll have to settle for a Fluence.