Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cost of Super-Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone worry that could change? Tesla really touted their "free supercharging for life" deal until suddenly it wasn't. Could the now "reasonable" fees be some day "market based" charges?
Of course the prices could change, but it's incorrect to say the "free supercharging for life" deal suddenly wasn't. It's still free supercharging for life for the people who bought the car while that was promised.

Of course the prices could change, but it's incorrect to say the "free supercharging for life" deal suddenly wasn't. It's still free supercharging for life for the people who bought the car while that was promised.

That's what I meant. It was heavily reported and promoted that when you bought a Model S (then, later X) you got supercharging free for life. Much ado was made about this by Tesla, Elon and the press. It was never promoted as a "limited time offer" nor was there ever anything to suggest the benefit would go away. Then suddenly it is announced that new cars (after a certain date) would no longer have this feature.

Elon and JB have commented before in other venues that free Supercharging was a way to kick start the EV life and would not be sustainable forever. The numbers have come in a bit earlier than originally said, but I'm not surprised they had to go to a paid model. Don't worry about it, things change, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what the next change is.

• Helpful
Reactions: wcfinvader and gene
That's what I meant. It was heavily reported and promoted that when you bought a Model S (then, later X) you got supercharging free for life. Much ado was made about this by Tesla, Elon and the press. It was never promoted as a "limited time offer" nor was there ever anything to suggest the benefit would go away. Then suddenly it is announced that new cars (after a certain date) would no longer have this feature.
There's a term called "grandfathered in" and it's used for all sorts of policy changes across a variety of products/services/industries. If you are one side of a demarcation, then you are in. And if you're not, then you're not in. Things change. And not just at Tesla.

Because a company offers something at one time you expect it to do so forever? Or perhaps not, but if the company ever intends to change, it should call what it currently does a "limited time offer"? That's not I how see a "limited time offer". I've always viewed a "limited time offer" as when a company temporarily reduces its regular price, or offers a two-for-one, or some other "limited time" savings. I don't see it applying to free supercharging for life at all.

I always expected it to change, and I predicted it would never apply to the Model 3, and I never thought "making a big ado about it" changes that big ado at all. It's still a big ado that my car, and all others on the road today, not only have free supercharging for life but when I sell it the next owner will have it. I wrongly predicted they would not.

Last edited:
Wish I knew. My Model S is 4 years old and I've been toying with the idea of trading it in. It's almost unfair to announce the end of free Supercharging by a certain purchase date (now January 15th) without saying how much it will cost. I do a fair bit of road tripping and it could make a difference. I am weighing wait vs. buy now over this and the possibility of further incentives in my jurisdiction. There is talk of dropping provincial and possibly federal sales taxes in Ontario, Canada as well as "improved" purchase incentives.

Like all fuel, the cost will vary with demand. Electrons are a commodity, and the cost will certainly rise as demand increases. At some point, charging stations will become significant revenue streams for investors, and the cost of home charging will increase as well.

I think the math that's being done is for, say, a 45 MPG car paying $2.69/gallon for gas. That puts it at $0.06 a mile. Looks like the difference between that and $0.03/mile is the 'convenience charge' for fewer stops to them, or around $12/day while road tripping.

I'd pay that charge to avoid two hours of charge time on my road trips. The issue I have right now is that with a 560 mile range, I have to stop to use the restroom more often than "fuel up."

In what car at what speed? Cause there's no Tesla that can make 560 miles at normal highway speeds. You can hypermile one, sure, but I don't fancy going 560 miles at 25 MPH. The world record for a M3LR is 606 Miles in 32 hours. Good luck.

No Tesla has a real-world range anywhere even vaguely close to 560 miles. Like, not even on the same continent as 560 miles.

I have 134k on my car, charge free all the time. Jan 6, 2013 build date.
My friends bought a 3 last week. Transfer guy said the charge for using a super chargers would be at the rate where charge. All power charge a different rate.
It would be billed to their credit card on their account monthly.

Like all fuel, the cost will vary with demand. Electrons are a commodity, and the cost will certainly rise as demand increases. At some point, charging stations will become significant revenue streams for investors, and the cost of home charging will increase as well.

Electrons don't work that way. The 'fuel' or energy portion is typically ~20% of the cost that you pay for electricity. The other 80% is the supporting infrastructure that is based on peak demand. So energy off-peak is often a fraction of on-peak. Negative prices are also becoming more common since it can actually be cheaper to pay for demand than to curtail generation... I've seen cheap gas but I've never seen a gas station pay people to take it as part of their business model.