Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging now costs more than gas (one owner's experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I can kind of guess what US prices are at the moment and how they have changed in the last year but I was asking what it is in Switzerland. I'll accept Euros/liter or Swiss Franc/liter, which at the moment, is conveniently 1:1 to the USD.

My Porsche = 1 CHF per 5km
My Tesla Model S = 0.60 CHF per 5km
Sure, the difference isn't much, however, I'm assuming this is for Superchargers, where, just like a coffee at a convenience store - it costs a lot more than making it at home. You're paying for the convenience of having the Supercharger there, and often peak demand and usage fees for the electricity.
Plus, you're probably paying for the time wasted going to the Supercharger and sitting there.
Few of us proponents have ever claimed that EVs with public charging provide a vastly superior owner experience (cost and convenience) than ICE although, even then, you're showing the EV still slightly wins.

Yeah, I can kind of guess what US prices are at the moment and how they have changed in the last year but I was asking what it is in Switzerland. I'll accept Euros/liter or Swiss Franc/liter, which at the moment, is conveniently 1:1 to the USD.

The petrol prices have gone up a lot from around 1.4 chf to 2.0 chf. But that proves even more that even at historical highs the tesla supercharging is not competitive at all? If petrol prices dropped again it would be cheaper to run a performance porsche than an electric car!

Sure, the difference isn't much, however, I'm assuming this is for Superchargers, where, just like a coffee at a convenience store - it costs a lot more than making it at home. You're paying for the convenience of having the Supercharger there, and often peak demand and usage fees for the electricity.
Plus, you're probably paying for the time wasted going to the Supercharger and sitting there.
Few of us proponents have ever claimed that EVs with public charging provide a vastly superior owner experience (cost and convenience) than ICE although, even then, you're showing the EV still slightly wins.
I think it's fair to assume people always charge at home. If I want to drive a goodly distance I will need to change. This isn't "abnormal".

Reactions: XPsionic
If I want to drive a goodly distance I will need to change. This isn't "abnormal".
No, but, I also pay more for a hotel room and restaurant meals than I do for my room and food at home. Why would charging be different? "Abnormal" is a bit strong, however, most people do spend most of their time driving near home, not driving more that 250 km from their homes.
The beauty of EVs is that one CAN charge at home. We can even buy solar panels to enable us to charge from our own electricity. With a gas car, our only choice is to buy gasoline from someone else.
We only claim EVs are better, they're not perfect.

Reactions: brkaus
so many Tesla apologists here. rather than looking at the numbers and calling a spade a spade, everyone is offering a bunch of alternate facts! Tesla has jacked up the price of superchargers to unprecedented levels, so highway driving using superchargers will cost more than ICE cars. The cost of supercharging is unpredictable (in one place I paid 33c/kWh and on the same day I paid 48c/kWh in another place).

so many Tesla apologists here. rather than looking at the numbers and calling a spade a spade, everyone is offering a bunch of alternate facts! Tesla has jacked up the price of superchargers to unprecedented levels, so highway driving using superchargers will cost more than ICE cars. The cost of supercharging is unpredictable (in one place I paid 33c/kWh and on the same day I paid 48c/kWh in another place).
It all depends on what the utility is charging for the electricity. Pricing is different in every locality with some charming huge amounts during peak hours. Tesla is not a charity and will pass this along to the consumer on top of Supercharger maintenance overhead.

It's not unpredictable. All prices are shown on the map in your vehicle. All pricing for Electrify America stations are shown in the EA app. All pricing for ChargePoint DCFC stations are shown in the ChargePoint app.

I stopped reading at "alternate facts".

It all depends on what the utility is charging for the electricity. Pricing is different in every locality with some charming huge amounts during peak hours. Tesla is not a charity and will pass this along to the consumer on top of Supercharger maintenance overhead.
I'm talking about difference of 50% more in the same state (Texas) on the same day. My argument was about non viability of Tesla on highways for long distance

Reactions: ElectricIAC