Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The delivery canceled, no reschedule thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update... I just got a call from my ISA that the original car that was assigned to me is indeed available, but I need to pick it up at the local design studio vs home delivery tomorrow, which I gladly accepted. At this point, I'm not going to get too excited until I actually drive off with my M3 tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
Did they default on you again on Saturday, or did you get the car?

Hang in there, got a text today, then a new vin and I'm picking up Wednesday if everything goes through this time.

Kinda sucks when you have no idea how much longer there wait till be and no real date on the website but they do want to still cars. I bet a bunch of people in this thread might be contacted on the next few days.

I think its all about the money not logistics chaos. I think this is intensional and the logistics chaos is mostly cover, a diversion for bypassing the reservation priority system and getting paid as quickly as possible once or twice for each car. Once you have paid there is no incentive to deliver your car. It appears most of us have paid in full. I paid in full after I had a VIN and delivery day and time. Then they sold my car to someone else. I think it's fraud. The original VIN didn't just evaporate. They sold my car a second time to someone else, got paid again and screwed me. I think it all about cash flow and making third quarter results look good. I am not happy about it! Have most of you paid in full?

I agree. I didn’t pay in full but I did put down 10k. I’m either hoping they make this right or hoping a class action lawsuit does.

Reactions: neroden
Just want to prepare some of you for what is next. DMV/Registration issues. I feel fortunate reading through this thread that I got my Model 3 without much issue. But I got to the 30-day window where your temporary registration tags expired, and never received the real registration from Tesla/DMV. I called Tesla on numerous occasions as my 30-day window was expiring. Every single time they promised to research and get back to me and no one did. Also, they had a different reason/excuse every time for the issue.

Here's the kicker. I had to pay the DMV the $570 in registration fees to keep my car on the road and get my proper tags. Even though I paid Tesla those fees as part of my purchase!

Of course I have followed up with Tesla numerous times (because I paid DMV on advice from guy from Tesla who told me Tesla was FedEx'ing me a reimbursement check). No one has responded since!

I will not give up until they make this right...but buyer beware, this is one of the next shoes to drop with your purchase.

• Informative
Just want to prepare some of you for what is next. DMV/Registration issues. I feel fortunate reading through this thread that I got my Model 3 without much issue. But I got to the 30-day window where your temporary registration tags expired, and never received the real registration from Tesla/DMV. I called Tesla on numerous occasions as my 30-day window was expiring. Every single time they promised to research and get back to me and no one did. Also, they had a different reason/excuse every time for the issue.

Here's the kicker. I had to pay the DMV the $570 in registration fees to keep my car on the road and get my proper tags. Even though I paid Tesla those fees as part of my purchase!

Of course I have followed up with Tesla numerous times (because I paid DMV on advice from guy from Tesla who told me Tesla was FedEx'ing me a reimbursement check). No one has responded since!

I will not give up until they make this right...but buyer beware, this is one of the next shoes to drop with your purchase.
How is a practice like this acceptable? There has to be something consumers could do. Not sure if our state attorney generals could help represent us. Especially to those who have fully paid for their car, including registration.

I called the Nevada delivery team yesterday since delivery is Oct 4. They didn't know where my car was, but said a home delivery was scheduled. I asked if they were sure, and they admitted they didn't know, but said to stick with Oct 4 delivery. I asked if the delivery center would call me when my car arrived, they also didn't know.

So I decided to call the Devon, PA delivery center. I explained my story to the delivery manager there. He said he feels terrible for the way Tesla is treating customers, and they are in the middle of changing up how they assign cars. He basically said they are now built in batches and shipped all over the USA and then matched up to customers from there, whoever can take delivery first. He also said home delivery is illegal in PA because of the DMV rules. He said he keeps telling Nevada that, but they keep promising customers in PA home delivery, like they did for me on 2 occasions.

I gave him my VIN and he tracked it down. It is at the Alabama delivery hub being unloaded off the train on to a truck. He said the car is scheduled to go to Devon for me, but he is powerless and the scheduling team in Nevada could re route that car to someone else. I explained to him I already paid in full, and this would be the second time a car was sold out from under me after I paid in full. He said he would put notes in and try to make it clear to the team not to reassign my car, but he couldn't make promises because it is out of his control.

New delivery date of Oct 10. He said it should arrive next Monday and they can prep it and I pick up on Wed. The Devon team seemed very nice over the phone and actually knew what they were talking about, unlike the Nevada team that schedules deliveries. My IDA has been silent for about 2 weeks now. Does not respond to emails or calls.

• Informative
So, so far it looks like my IDA may have been correct to do what he did. When my delivery got canceled the day before my scheduled delivery was to happen (this past Friday), and then my VIN disappeared, my IDA scheduled another delivery date for this coming Friday (October 5) for me, without even having a car yet. He thought that this would push logistics to get a car for me and get it delivered, his words.

Late Friday, or early Saturday (I can’t recall exactly when), I had another VIN assigned. I got a little excited, but I had a VIN before and did not end up with a car because it did not arrive on time for delivery. Then yesterday I emailed my IDA again and got the MVPA from him for my financing to be set and he also go in touch with Logistics for me and confirmed that my car will be ready for delivery this coming Friday. I was like, ok great. Sounds good. But still doubtful. Then early this AM, I got another email from Tesla confirming my delivery date and appointment time as well. Sweet! Man, if this thing gets cancelled now I am gonna have a fit. Cautiously optimistic.

So, so far it looks like my IDA may have been correct to do what he did. When my delivery got canceled the day before my scheduled delivery was to happen (this past Friday), and then my VIN disappeared, my IDA scheduled another delivery date for this coming Friday (October 5) for me, without even having a car yet. He thought that this would push logistics to get a car for me and get it delivered, his words.

Late Friday, or early Saturday (I can’t recall exactly when), I had another VIN assigned. I got a little excited, but I had a VIN before and did not end up with a car because it did not arrive on time for delivery. Then yesterday I emailed my IDA again and got the MVPA from him for my financing to be set and he also go in touch with Logistics for me and confirmed that my car will be ready for delivery this coming Friday. I was like, ok great. Sounds good. But still doubtful. Then early this AM, I got another email from Tesla confirming my delivery date and appointment time as well. Sweet! Man, if this thing gets cancelled now I am gonna have a fit. Cautiously optimistic.
Q: I was assigned a vin and given it by my advisor? Where is it supposed to show in my account other than order agreement, so if it disappears, I AM aware?

Mine still says late September , and only my reservation number lol- properly needs an update

I have read, and my experience has been that the VIN only shows up under reservation number within 7 days of delivery. When my date keeps getting bumped back, the VIN disappears. Then it will show up again when within a week of scheduled delivery date.

My feeling is they are not assigning a VIN until delivery date is scheduled because they may sell your car to someone else if they can take delivery faster. How do I know? I received a VIN and paid in full. But then the car was sold to someone else. I received a new VIN and was also told they would sell it to someone else if they can pick it up before me. Not showing a VIN allows them to swap around cars. I currently have a VIN and the car is in Alabama ready to be loaded on a truck for PA. I was told that even though I have a scheduled delivery date of Oct 10, and paid in full, that the scheduling team could re route that car to someone else first.

So even if you have a VIN, paid in full, and have a scheduled delivery date, you may not get your car. I speak from experience.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Sg911
I have read, and my experience has been that the VIN only shows up under reservation number within 7 days of delivery. When my date keeps getting bumped back, the VIN disappears. Then it will show up again when within a week of scheduled delivery date.

My feeling is they are not assigning a VIN until delivery date is scheduled because they may sell your car to someone else if they can take delivery faster. How do I know? I received a VIN and paid in full. But then the car was sold to someone else. I received a new VIN and was also told they would sell it to someone else if they can pick it up before me. Not showing a VIN allows them to swap around cars. I currently have a VIN and the car is in Alabama ready to be loaded on a truck for PA. I was told that even though I have a scheduled delivery date of Oct 10, and paid in full, that the scheduling team could re route that car to someone else first.

So even if you have a VIN, paid in full, and have a scheduled delivery date, you may not get your car. I speak from experience.
Makes no sense, since you paid already that should qualify you as priority to get you the car! Sell it to someone else, and still have to find you another car? Odd practice - if it’s closer to someone else, hmmm , ok but mine is traveling from Fremont CA, for delivery eta Oct. 21st (yeah right) ...and the only saving grace in my mind is that there are enough Model 3P+ to get er’ done without having to, or maybe having to, make a holy stiink and a drink!

I wish there was more honesty , and transparency in this process!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and 0mpg
Hang in there, got a text today, then a new vin and I'm picking up Wednesday if everything goes through this time.

Kinda sucks when you have no idea how much longer there wait till be and no real date on the website but they do want to still cars. I bet a bunch of people in this thread might be contacted on the next few days.
Hmm, and today is Wednesday! Keep us posted. Your journey has been one of the worst I've followed. Anxious to know if you forget any of it after you paste your eyeballs to the back of your head a few times.

Makes no sense, since you paid already that should qualify you as priority to get you the car! Sell it to someone else, and still have to find you another car? Odd practice - if it’s closer to someone else, hmmm , ok but mine is traveling from Fremont CA, for delivery eta Oct. 21st (yeah right) ...and the only saving grace in my mind is that there are enough Model 3P+ to get er’ done without having to, or maybe having to, make a holy stiink and a drink!

I wish there was more honesty , and transparency in this process!

All that flew out the window with the third quarter push. They got my money and sold the car to someone else. Gave me a new VIN with delivery of the following week. I said I was on vacation then and they threatened to sell the car to someone else. I changed vacation plans to accept delivery, but then the delivery date was bumped to Oct 4. That has now been canceled because the second car is still in Alabama. It is currently slated to come to PA for me, but I was warned that until it actually gets to Devon, PA it could be sold to someone else.

P.s. The team in Devon so far has been very helpful. I have no problems with them. They seem to know more than the scheduling team and customer service in Nevada.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Sg911
Yes the Devon team was clear on the process.
So Tesla is not doing custom orders at all, simply batching orders (they might see what most folks are ordering and make batches of those).
Tesla should also give folks no information or lots of information.
Step 1 would be to explain the process as Devon outlined.
Taking your money and giving you no car is actually a crime. I smell lawsuits or police involvement.

4/5/2016 - Reserved
6/28/2018 - Configured
9/6/2018 - Scheduled 9/29 delivery in Littleton
9/28/2018 @ 10:00am MT - I called Tesla and was told I had a VIN assigned two days prior
9/28/2018 @ 12:30pm MT - Delivery cancelled by my IDA via text

Never had a VIN or MVPA on the website. Delivery date is back to the generic Sept-Nov.

10/1/2018 - Called Tesla general delivery line and was scheduled a new delivery appointment for 10/6
10/2/2018 - Texted my IDA a sob story in hopes of any expedited process (no response...). Probably had nothing to do with the next line, but maybe?
10/2/2018 - Logged in and was prompted for final payment. MVPA shows up with a VIN on it. No VIN on the website
10/3/2018 - Called delivery center and was told car is scheduled for transport today. Possible early delivery next week

The rollercoaster ride continues...