Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The demise of the OEMs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Diesel emission fraud at Toyota:

Initial source AJ at X:

The 30 year reference above is specific to Daihatsu which I already posted about in post 527.

Fortunately (?), for Toyota re: those diesel emission issues, none of the listed vehicles was ever sold in North America, so it's not like they'd face any penalties in the US that would force them to start something like VW's Electrify America.

"TOKYO, Jan 30 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor... retained its crown as the world's top-selling automaker for the fourth consecutive year after posting record annual sales of 11.2 million vehicles in 2023, though its chairman apologised on Tuesday for scandals at three group companies."

• Informative
Reactions: replicant and CarlS
GM dealers are envious of Toyota and Lexus dealers backlog of PHEV orders.

But a large part of those backorders are based on Toyota's reliability reputation. And the fact Toyota PHEVs are also very efficient in hybrid mode. On the highway Toyota PHEVs are almost as gasoline efficient as HEVs despite the extra weight. As a whole PHEVs are the least reliable powertrain type sold in America.

Stellantis was #1 in the USA in PHEV sales last year. That was based on the fact in CARB States PHEV lease payments were lower than equivalent ICEv trim. And sometimes the cheapest lease payment in the model lineup.

GM dealers, especially in CARB states, are afraid the Ramcharger pickup PHEV is a winner. And want a Silverado/Sierra PHEV.

As a whole PHEVs are the least reliable powertrain type sold in America.
Stellantis was #1 in the USA in PHEV sales last year.
These two things might be related :)

Well-designed PHEVs should be much more reliable than pure ICEV. The ICE is smaller and simpler and the transmission can be almost trivially simple. The ICE should only run on trips, at nearly steady state, with very few cold starts over the course of a year. Unfortunately some PHEVs are designed primarily to chase poorly-designed gov't incentives vs. actually transitioning miles from gas to electricity.

I think Ramcharger is going to be very expensive, and not a big seller.

Reactions: CarlS

It doesn't have to be a big seller to be a big success.

How much profit does it generate, how many emissions credits does it generate, and how many lux trucks conquest sales does it produce? Remember that pickups and full size body on frame SUVs produce almost all the profit for the Detroit automakers AND their dealers. Each lux pickup sale is worth dozens of mid trim compact CUV sales.

If it steals mostly Silverado High Country, Sierra Denali, and F-150 Platinum sales that is a headache for the competition. These are the Geese that lay the golden eggs. It is obviously going to cannibalize some RAM premium truck sales too.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies and CarlS
These two things might be related :)

Well-designed PHEVs should be much more reliable than pure ICEV. The ICE is smaller and simpler and the transmission can be almost trivially simple. The ICE should only run on trips, at nearly steady state, with very few cold starts over the course of a year. Unfortunately some PHEVs are designed primarily to chase poorly-designed gov't incentives vs. actually transitioning miles from gas to electricity.

I has two drive-trains, it should have both drive trains issues. But ICE will be used less so wear and tear will be less on that.

Imo PHEV makes very little sense. People think about PHEV wrong, they think PHEV is an ICE that has gotten a EV slapped on it. Imo think of it as an EV that has gotten an ICE slapped on it. Start with a 10kWh EV and consider your options. Either add 40kWh more batteries at $50/kWh or add an ICE engine, transmission, exhaust etc, to it. Which one makes more sense?

I has two drive-trains, it should have both drive trains issues. But ICE will be used less so wear and tear will be less on that.

Imo PHEV makes very little sense. People think about PHEV wrong, they think PHEV is an ICE that has gotten a EV slapped on it. Imo think of it as an EV that has gotten an ICE slapped on it. Start with a 10kWh EV and consider your options. Either add 40kWh more batteries at $50/kWh or add an ICE engine, transmission, exhaust etc, to it. Which one makes more sense?

Toyota PHEVs don't have "transmissions" instead they use electric motors as a "transmission."

Ramcharger also won't have a transmission. It will have a 92 kWh battery pack than can be fed by a 3.6L V6 creating electricity. Gasoline will never turn the wheels directly.

For a pickup owner that mostly drives within 75 miles of home but occasionally tows heavy loads long distance a Ramcharger can make a lot of sense.

GM just announced they have 100k EV pickup reservations.

1706821724879.png

PHEVs have been designed both ways. My wifes Chevy Volt is definitely designed as an EV first, with ICE integrated in. But others take a traditional ICE drivetrain and integrate electric motors into them. GM initially tried calling the Volt an "EREV" - Extended Range EV. But it never seemed to take hold.

A third technique, used by the BMW i3 REx, is to have the ICE totally disjoint from the electric drive and only run when the battery pack is depleted (or "hold mode", etc) The Ram pickup also appears to be taking this approach. When GM introduced the Volt, they claimed they could get about 10% better efficiency at highway speeds by clutching in the ICE - rather than running it as a separate generator. Apparently RAM has not learned this lesson...

The Volt forums had been filled for years with people asking for other configurations of the Voltec architecture. E.g., mid-sized sedan, small SUV, pickup, etc. However it fell on deaf ears at GM. They only tried a couple of high end Cadillac configurations - which failed. After GM discontinued it, buyers had to move on.

"TOKYO, Jan 30 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor... retained its crown as the world's top-selling automaker for the fourth consecutive year after posting record annual sales of 11.2 million vehicles in 2023, though its chairman apologised on Tuesday for scandals at three group companies."
"The Japanese firm raised its profit forecast for the current year to 4.9 trillion yen ($33 billion) from 4.5 trillion expected previously. That is well above an average analyst forecast of 4.6 trillion yen, according to LSEG data.

Toyota’s operating profit for the three months to Dec. 31 totalled 1.68 trillion yen, up 75.7% a year earlier and beating the average 1.3 trillion yen profit estimate in a poll of nine analysts by LSEG."

Observation

Last six months driving a lot from southern virginia to Boston and all in between
Shocking observation where prior I was seeing non Tesla EVs
Now Nada

Unfortunately, back to my point with the IRA Ford, GM and Tesla needed to join up on the charging infrastructure, how, ease, density
It was a disaster where every non Tesla buyer hated the road trip charging experience
EA was never held accountable
Now we are paying the price
Non Tesla buyers were scared away
Non tesla sales have died

The BEV bashing is at a peak
Hybrid sales, they never plug in falsehood, are booming
Toyota ex CEO is beaming

This sux
The non Tesla BEV adoption has stopped

Now we have to wait for a new wave of adopters that will brag about using NACS adapters and Tesla superchargers
Native NACS positive vehicle charging experiences will be posted to YouTube

I’m gauging this time will be 6/2025
We will have lost almost 2 years

Good news is the M2 will be arriving to disrupt the vehicle industry
The Toyota beaming will stop

Hope the false hybrid owners will see rhe light