Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Dreaded Exchange Rate (CAD/USD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! Ah, I didn't know about the duty due to the overseas battery mentioned above. Aren't all of their batteries being made at the Gigafactory now, in which case shouldn't all of their cars save on the import tax? Something else to be updated perhaps...
No, the batteries being made in the Gigafactory now are the battery format for the Model 3 and Powerwall 2.

Keep in mind, the Gigafactory is only approximately 30% complete right now.

Reactions: sitter_k
Thanks! Ah, I didn't know about the duty due to the overseas battery mentioned above. Aren't all of their batteries being made at the Gigafactory now, in which case shouldn't all of their cars save on the import tax? Something else to be updated perhaps...

No so far the Gigafactory is only producing 2170 batteries for Powerwall and Model 3. Even they are different from each other.

Sorry! Didn't see above post!

No, the batteries being made in the Gigafactory now are the battery format for the Model 3 and Powerwall 2.

Keep in mind, the Gigafactory is only approximately 30% complete right now.

No so far the Gigafactory is only producing 2170 batteries for Powerwall and Model 3. Even they are different from each other.

Sorry! Didn't see above post!

Didn't know that either. Thanks for the info!

I believe model s and x still use imported battery components due to existing contracts.

More because they're actually different batteries. Their internal structure and chemistry is similar, but the Model 3 batteries are physically larger and aren't compatible with the current design of the S packs. Gigafactory is only making the new format.

Elon also mentioned that the new format is designed to be cheaper, not for higher power delivery. It sounds like switching the S to the new format would not only lower cost, but also lower performance.

On the Canadian site the price of the S 75D has fallen from 101,750 to 96,650 a 5,100 dollar drop. This represents a price drop of 5.0% CDN. The CDN/USD price difference difference on the base S 75D before the currency adjustment was 36.6%. It is now 29.7%. A reduction of 6.9%.

The CDN option pricing is down as well:

Paint -100 / 4.75%
Sunroof -200 / 7.1%
Next Gen -400 / 8.5%
EAP -500 / 7.0%
FSD -300 / 7.0%
Premiun -500 / 7.0%

On the Canadian site the price of the S 75D has fallen from 101,750 to 96,650 a 5,100 dollar drop. This represents a price drop of 5.0% CDN. The CDN/USD price difference difference on the base S 75D before the currency adjustment was 36.6%. It is now 29.7%. A reduction of 6.9%.

The CDN option pricing is down as well:

Paint -100 / 4.75%
Sunroof -200 / 7.1%
Next Gen -400 / 8.5%
EAP -500 / 7.0%
FSD -300 / 7.0%
Premiun -500 / 7.0%

Nice number rundown! I ordered an X 100D with options and this should save me a little over $7K. Just waiting to hear back from my OA to confirm the price will be adjusted.

Yes! Glad to see Tesla keeping up with the exchange rate (kind of). Fingers crossed that it'll be even better in late 2018 when I pay for my Model 3. If USD = CAD, I'd go for the uber-range model. Otherwise, base model and a $1k can of paint for me. :p
Well, if exchange rate is not that good, I'll go for base model and dual motor which I think is a must for Canadian winter.