Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The fit and finish on these cars is GARBAGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my model three for six weeks and I have less than 2000 miles on it. When walking around my car today I noticed a bunch of tiny little surface rust orange spots all over the car and near the lower rocker panels, but it’s everywhere. I didn’t think these things could rust because they were aluminum. Maybe I misunderstood what the composite of the body was. I have scheduled a service technician to come look at it. I can’t believe this, with less than 2000 miles on it. And the car has been washed a couple of times, and I am in a northern climate, but still.
  1. Model 3 is chiefly made from steel. The 3 and the Y share 80% or so of the same parts.
  2. I had two 2015 Model S's parked next to each other. The first spent most of its life in Texas. The second was from Ohio (with snow and road salt). Both cars are made 90-95% of aluminum. The only spot rust was evident in the Ohio S, was within the hatch area. When opened, the hardware that affixes the pneumatic strut had some rust (strong, since it really isn't exposed much to the elements).

I have had my model three for six weeks and I have less than 2000 miles on it. When walking around my car today I noticed a bunch of tiny little surface rust orange spots all over the car and near the lower rocker panels, but it’s everywhere. I didn’t think these things could rust because they were aluminum. Maybe I misunderstood what the composite of the body was. I have scheduled a service technician to come look at it. I can’t believe this, with less than 2000 miles on it. And the car has been washed a couple of times, and I am in a northern climate, but still.

@White_tiger That sounds like you have rail dust in/on the paint surface. It is easily removed with appropriate products.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
I agree. Tesla has way too many problems with fit and finish. I just accepted it on my S as part of doing business with Tesla. I have had several new cars over time. GMC, Chevy, Lexus and Jeep. NEVER had a fit/finish issue

The Enclave has a "better" build quality than the Model 3... no question there. That said - does it matter?? Not really. Looking at them side by side, both look great, even though I know the Model 3 is "less perfect". I find most of the "panel gap" nitpick exactly that - a nitpick. It's not like I'm looking at Cletus' Shack here.

67F21C0E-8C45-48CF-AD49-8A53D34D4DAC.jpeg

The Enclave has a "better" build quality than the Model 3... no question there. That said - does it matter?? Not really. Looking at them side by side, both look great, even though I know the Model 3 is "less perfect". I find most of the "panel gap" nitpick exactly that - a nitpick. It's not like I'm looking at Cletus' Shack here.

View attachment 537446

You can replace "Enclave" with pretty much any newer car out there. I agree, the panel gap really is a nitpick and it can/should be easily overlooked. On the other hand, the things you actually see/feel while driving it every day... not so much. I'm talking about all the rattles/squeaks, high cabin noise, choice of interior materials, choice of interior design, all of these should have been at least on par with other manufacurers.

As it stands now, these are indeed fun to drive but compromises must be made to enjoy them. Some are willing to overlook, some don't (justified IMO if you compare the overall quality with ANY other car close to this price point).

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Status
Not open for further replies.