Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The good and the bad. I have just done 25,000 miles over the past two years in a Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just done 25,000 miles over the past two years in a Model 3. Probably the best (certainly the most interesting) car I have ever owned. But it is not without faults. Excessively noisy at motorway speeds so that I can’t listen to the music I like. The suspension is harsh and uncomfortable on bumpy city roads. Tesla also urgently need to improve autopark. If you doubt this, look at this video which compares the parking abilities of several different Tesla models to BMW, Ford and Audi:
. Tesla should also give a higher priority to service and spare parts availability. More than two months ago my front side near wing was badly dented by a builder’s van coming out of a side turning. It has taken eight weeks for the Tesla authorised body repair shop (I live in London, England) to get the necessary spare parts. The body shop now says that it will take at least another two weeks to repair my car.

55k miles in 3 years, still the best car I've owned. I have a M3P, ride and handling are excellent and on par with other sport sedans I've driven, wind noise is virtually non-existent in my car, I can listen at low volumes on the highway at 75 mph. I really think some vehicles need to be taken to the service center and have the seals checked to be sure the door glass is making good contact with the weather seals.

The amount of wind noise and water proofing is outrageously poor. Tesla needs to figure out how to properly make cars.

Funny how this rumor persists. A couple of months ago my friend and BMW owner was considering a Tesla. This was one of his primary concerns. So we loaded up a decibel meter app and took the cars out for a spin. At 70MPH, my '21 Tesla Model 3 was actually just a decibel or two lower than his diesel powered M3 Bimmer. His Tesla arrives September 26-28.

> 90,000 miles in an USFm3 in 4 years. > 20,000 in last 6 months. By far the best car i've ever driven. I listen to music from a USB flash drive and love the sound system - no complaint about noise. No water leakage. Like the way it rides - no complaint about the suspension. I use auto park regularly and it has never failed me. My first M3 was early production (VIN ~30000) and neither had any defects when delivered. Lastly, I've been highly pleased with Tesla service. The techs I've dealt with have all been highly motivated to please. I've had service at home, at the SC, and twice I've been able to drop into the SC without an appointment and have minor things checked or repaired in less than 1/2 hour.

Reactions: tashtibet
I also have a lot of road noise, 2022 M3LR. Car is otherwise built perfectly but first thing I noticed driving was how loud it is. If there’s water on the road it sounds like you’re inside a dishwasher.
Note there is a big difference between wind noise and road noise. My road noise is acceptable but my wind noise is maddening. It sounds like I have all the windows rolled down when they are actually up. Had Tesla look at it at least twice over a 4 year period and they said “it’s within spec”.

It is good to hear that Tesla has addressed in its latest Highland update the issues with the Model 3--excessive cabin noise and harsh suspension-- that I wrote about in my original post (Sept 8th 2022). But Tesla still needs to improve the availability of parts and the high costs and repair delays of minor body damage. After 40,000 miles in four years, my verdict remains the same: 'Probably the best, certainly the most interesting car, I have ever owned.'

I have a ‘21 M3 LR and I still love the car. No issues to speak of and just the right level of sportiness with the suspension. The biggest nit I have is the level of road, not wind, noise. It is at an unacceptable level compared to many other vehicles I’ve owned and needs to be addressed. We have an ‘23 Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV as well and its far quieter than the M3 on almost all road surfaces. Unfortunately all remedies I’ve seen that people have developed, door seal kits, etc, offer little reduction in overall noise when quantified with actual db measurements. Tire pressures are kept exactly at Tesla‘s stated specification. Unless I turn music up to uncomfortable levels, it’s just not useable on most highways, especially in the Northwest since many are concrete. Still a fun car to own and to drive, but manufacturers know how to build quieter cars, Tesla either just doesn’t care or they can’t figure it out.

it is not without faults. Excessively noisy at motorway speeds so that I can’t listen to the music I like. The suspension is harsh and uncomfortable on bumpy city roads. Tesla also urgently need to improve autopark.

I generally agree with the sentiment, though not necessarily with your priority of issues uncovered.
Excessive highway wind noise is there, and is a significant turn-off.
But not as bad massive consumption penalty for highway driving in the winter. Stated range is somewhere between fiction and a bold-faced lie, that each owner gets to uncover and learn to work around on his or her own.

55k miles in 3 years, still the best car I've owned. I have a M3P, ride and handling are excellent and on par with other sport sedans I've driven, wind noise is virtually non-existent in my car, I can listen at low volumes on the highway at 75 mph. I really think some vehicles need to be taken to the service center and have the seals checked to be sure the door glass is making good contact with the weather seals.

58K miles on my TM3P, and it is clearly not the best car I've ever owned. I has had lots of issues.
Tesla, as a company, is scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of customer service. They routinely delay, deflect, and deny repairs within warranty period using a generic “it’s within spec” response. BTDT. I had paid out of pocket for the same part that failed 3 times and counting.
Still, the car is a great daily driver and winter beater.

And around 50-55K mile mark, the shocks took a dump. The suspension was soggy and bouncy under load (easily bottoms out onto bump stops) since day 1, and now it's post-due for a replacement. Which is coming.
Highway noise (from inconsistent body gaps and stupid glass roof) is clearly a major PITA. And so is paint integrity behind front wheel wells. Tesla disclaims responsibility for all of the above. It's all on the owner to identify the remedies, or take Tesla to court. Whichever path is easier for you.

Funny how this rumor persists. A couple of months ago my friend and BMW owner was considering a Tesla. This was one of his primary concerns. So we loaded up a decibel meter app and took the cars out for a spin. At 70MPH, my '21 Tesla Model 3 was actually just a decibel or two lower than his diesel powered M3 Bimmer.

You must be kidding, right?
///M3 (the real M3) is a 4-seater race car.
TM3P is an EV that can accelerate fast.
Comparing the noise levels between the two is akin to comparing a glider to a fighter plane. Mildly amusing, but irrelevant.

If there’s anything that can be taken from this thread it is inconsistency. Clearly owners are experiencing highly inconsistent build and service quality.

That, and wide variety of baseline automotive experiences.
If one had upgrade to a Model 3 from a Civic or a Prius, it's clearly a step up on many levels.
If one bought a Model 3 after experience with European or Japanese performance cars, then it is a step down on many levels.

YMMV,
a

Funny how this rumor persists. A couple of months ago my friend and BMW owner was considering a Tesla. This was one of his primary concerns. So we loaded up a decibel meter app and took the cars out for a spin. At 70MPH, my '21 Tesla Model 3 was actually just a decibel or two lower than his diesel powered M3 Bimmer. His Tesla arrives September 26-28.
I agree. My new m3LR isn't any louder than my 22 prius prime was. If it is its not by much and def not noticable

+1

We have two Tesla's and LOVE the ride and suspension and wind noise is no worse than any of my previous BMWs over the years.