Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The interior door latch that we shouldn't use??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do find the emergency release buttons on the read seats of the 3 to be poorly engineered. I guess they were trying to save building a mechanical connection like is in the rear seats of the S, but having a button you shouldn't push and it not being obvious potentially in a emergency does seem like a mistake.

I do find the emergency release buttons on the read seats of the 3 to be poorly engineered. I guess they were trying to save building a mechanical connection like is in the rear seats of the S, but having a button you shouldn't push and it not being obvious potentially in a emergency does seem like a mistake.

There is no emergency release in the rear. What buttons are you referring to?

I sat in a 3 at the tesla sales office, and I am sure there was an emergency button you weren't supposed to push to open the seats, is that only in the front seats? I thought it was in the rear seats. Plus there was the window button that opened the door, if I recall correctly. Maybe my memory is off about it being in the rear seats.

I sat in a 3 at the tesla sales office, and I am sure there was an emergency button you weren't supposed to push to open the seats, is that only in the front seats? I thought it was in the rear seats. Plus there was the window button that opened the door, if I recall correctly. Maybe my memory is off about it being in the rear seats.

All four doors are electronically powered with push buttons to open the doors (which can still be used in case of emergencies).

The front doors also have a manual release in the unlikely situation the M3 has no power.

20190104_074302000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that Tesla did not make a good engineering decision with the front door releases. My elderly father with dementia will always go for the lever unless I press the button by reaching across before he thinks about pulling the lever. Fortunately, he doesn't tend to push the door open simultaneously so no harm done so far.

I haven’t had an issue. I usually am quick to tell them to push the button when I park. When I forget to tell them, no one has pulled the latch they all just look around lost until I say push the button. The button isn’t intuitive but the latch isn’t either, in my experience you have plenty of time to tell people how to get out before they figure out either method.

Ditto.

Adults mostly just look about helpless. Sometimes when I haven’t had enough amusement for the day, I let them flounder until they have to ask.

Kids, though, I find are more apt to keep looking and trying until they resolve. They’ll come across the manual release more times than not, so I tell them to push the button at the top otherwise they might break my car and then they’d have to buy it, which tends to frighten them just enough that they subsequently never forget to push the button.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
The mechanical release does roll the window down. I think this was added in a recent software update.

I watched a video a while back where it was explained that the window lowers as long as there is battery power. You can actually hear the window lowering in the video. If there is no power then it will open but may damage the trim. Damaging the trim in that kind of emergency may not be what you care about, getting out in time will.

Last edited: