Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The loneliness of the long distance Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3noob

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2019
Beyond the pale
Chez Folkestone Eurotunnel...

Attachments

• PXL_20211212_121618716.jpg
    PXL_20211212_121618716.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: Unclelatch
After Eurotunnel ripped me off by not extending my ticket by 3 days due to pandemic and completely refused a refund, i will never visit there again. DFDS extended a booking 3 times without any fuss whatsoever so they will get my money from now on.

After Eurotunnel ripped me off by not extending my ticket by 3 days due to pandemic and completely refused a refund, i will never visit there again. DFDS extended a booking 3 times without any fuss whatsoever so they will get my money from now on.
The water crossing this time of year is uncomfortable. Caen via Brittany Ferries is nice in good weather. Santander and Bilbao are overnighters and rough out in the Bay of Biscay this time of year.

If you want to read a little story from over in Germany, along the autobahn they have some Superchargers where there are adjacent non-Tesla chargers. Typically you see a dozen Tesla stalls and one or four or six, rarely eight other charging columns, like ionity (very expensive). EnBW, E.ON, Allego, Shell, occasionally Fastned and various others.

The typical sight is half the Superchargers occupied and one or two non-Tesla cars charging or trying to charge from the others. I keep seeing some Volkswagen ID.3 or Porsche Taycan fiddling with a charging card, trying to convince the charger to charge, sometimes unsuccessfully.

The impression is that the non-Tesla electric vehicles are only bought for city driving and rarely used for long distances. Over there the title of this thread should be changed to, "The loneliness of the long-distance non-Tesla electric car".

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts
If you want to read a little story from over in Germany, along the autobahn they have some Superchargers where there are adjacent non-Tesla chargers. Typically you see a dozen Tesla stalls and one or four or six, rarely eight other charging columns, like ionity (very expensive). EnBW, E.ON, Allego, Shell, occasionally Fastned and various others.

The typical sight is half the Superchargers occupied and one or two non-Tesla cars charging or trying to charge from the others. I keep seeing some Volkswagen ID.3 or Porsche Taycan fiddling with a charging card, trying to convince the charger to charge, sometimes unsuccessfully.

The impression is that the non-Tesla electric vehicles are only bought for city driving and rarely used for long distances. Over there the title of this thread should be changed to, "The loneliness of the long-distance non-Tesla electric car".

Danke 😉

Given how quick the tunnel crossing is - why do people still use the ferrys?
Because out of the last 7 or so times i used the tunnel it was late more than 50% of the time, negating the time saving. Plus driving from Manchester to Dover is nice to have a decent rest on the ferry and it's also cheaper. Another reason is that if you are going north at the start of the trip the ferry will save 20 miles if sailing into Dunkirk as we'll be doing on way to Hamburg next year.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fox86 and adsheff
Because out of the last 7 or so times i used the tunnel it was late more than 50% of the time, negating the time saving. Plus driving from Manchester to Dover is nice to have a decent rest on the ferry and it's also cheaper. Another reason is that if you are going north at the start of the trip the ferry will save 20 miles if sailing into Dunkirk as we'll be doing on way to Hamburg next year.
Like Roy Orbison said "Only the Lonely" at the Inter Hotel in Coquelles

Attachments

• PXL_20211214_111316465.jpg
    PXL_20211214_111316465.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 56
Bring back the Harwich to Hamburg ferry! (Yes, I know it's been a few decades...)

Reactions: Mr H
Last few times I’ve used the Eurotunnel there’s been technical faults and a broken down train meaning they were only operating 1 tunnel and only 1 train could go each way at a time. The amount of hours wasted at the Calais terminal over the years has been a nightmare.. . The refreshments they provided after an 8 hour wait were pretty laughable once too, a can of tinned fruit and 2 cream crackers haha. Saying that I once tried to get the ferry and the lorry drivers in France had blocked the junction and set a load of tires on fire. Just luck of the draw over there at times or maybe it’s me not having much luck!!

Reactions: Mr H
The band Yes. "Owner of a Lonely Heart" dedicated to Ionity at Baie de Somme SuperchargerView attachment 744578

Scant company on my side ... fans of Pizza Hut apparently

View attachment 744579

It's good to know you've got a friend (said James Taylor) at Rouen, the worst SuC to get to in my experience. Some V3 including one suspiciously positioned, perhaps for Les Etrangers?
PXL_20211216_102541811.jpg

It's good to know you've got a friend (said James Taylor) at Rouen, the worst SuC to get to in my experience. Some V3 including one suspiciously positioned, perhaps for Les Etrangers?View attachment 744892
And so to the brand spanking new 19 stall SuC site north of Le Mans. It's a vast improvement over the old site...unless you enjoy the challenge of an Auchan carpark that's usually full.

PXL_20211216_124936031.jpg

Lunch at the Brit Hotel, a partenaire of Tesla, slightly compromised by the kitchen closing 15 minutes earlier. Snackd available. Signs said 50m away but more like 150m...which only matters when it's cold and raining.

Attachments

• 16396601241273401728299371255811.jpg
    16396601241273401728299371255811.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20211216_133518683.jpg
    PXL_20211216_133518683.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 44
And so to the brand spanking new 19 stall SuC site north of Le Mans. It's a vast improvement over the old site...unless you enjoy the challenge of an Auchan carpark that's usually full.

View attachment 744903

Lunch at the Brit Hotel, a partenaire of Tesla, slightly compromised by the kitchen closing 15 minutes earlier. Snackd available. Signs said 50m away but more like 150m...which only matters when it's cold and raining.
It would seem that non-Teslas at SuCs are not yet an issue at Art Hotel in Tours...

PXL_20211216_144019809.jpg