Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Menlo Park sales/service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same thing happened here in Seattle, I went by on Teusday and they were just shipping out their demo models as well as their show room model. They reassured me there would be 2010 models for me to drool over shortly.

I saw a big shindig going on at the menlo park store last night when I drove by. Does anyone know what it was?

http://www.linkedin.com/osview/canvas?_ch_page_id=1&_ch_panel_id=1&_ch_app_id=7083120&_applicationId=2000&_ownerId=0&appParams={%22go_to%22:%22events/126178%22,%22referrer%22:%22public%22}
Starts: Saturday October 17, 2009, 06:00PM
Ends: Saturday October 17, 2009, 11:00PM
Event Type: Fundraiser
300 El Camino Real
Menlo Park, CA 94025 US

Discover the treasure of this elegant event benefiting the American Cancer Society's mission to eliminate cancer. Festivities begin with an elegant champagne reception and silent auction, followed by a gourmet dinner, live entertainment, enchanting dancing and an exciting live auction. Please join the fight by supporting our efforts as sponsors, underwriters and distinguished guests. The evening applauds advances in research that have helped those in our community. We are optimistic about the future, but still have a great deal to do before we reach our goal of prevention and a cure in our lifetime.
Tickets to this event are available for $100 each, or you may sponsor a table of 10 for $1,500, invite your friends and family, and receive recognition in the invitations and programs. Corporate sponsorship packages are also available. Learn more about the event and purchase tickets at: The American Cancer Society:
The American Cancer Society:

I saw a big shindig going on at the menlo park store last night when I drove by. Does anyone know what it was?

I was there hanging out while topping off before driving home (East of Sac) until about 5pm - one of the event organizers told me that "their CEO was a friend of Elon's and they were using the store for his consulting company's meeting". Tesla cleared all the cars but one out of the showroom, chairs and tables everywhere, catered food being brought in, audio guy showed up, bar getting set up, etc etc. The event was supposed to start at 7pm.

-end of intel- :)

I just heard the MP store was empty. Rumors of same in LA. I talked to a guy who bought a NY demo model.

It seems like the demos went faster than they expected and left them dry of cars.

I was there yesterday afternoon. Not empty. Noticeably fewer cars than the last time I was there, but still plenty lined up, not there for service. Maybe 30? Didn't count, but it seems like around that.

With US Roadster sales coming to a close, I wonder what the plan is for the Menlo Park store. As was mentioned before, supposedly their lease is up in a little more than a year.

And having the new San Jose store gives the south bay coverage already.

But Menlo Park isn't just a store. They have been doing (powertrain installation) assembly and all that. Perhaps all of the remaining Roadsters will be assembled out of the UK now?

Last edited:
I was there yesterday afternoon. Not empty. Noticeably fewer cars than the last time I was there, but still plenty lined up, not there for service. Maybe 30? Didn't count, but it seems like around that.

On my first experience with Menlo Park (when I did my test drive) it seemed very sleepy. There were a couple of cars out back and not much going on. I dropped by a year later and the place was absolutely crammed full of people, cars, and equipment. So I get the impression the level of activity there varies quite dramatically.

All the stores host parties. Often tech or green related. The Sales staff mingles and low pressure sell Roadsters (and probably S's now).

The LA store is just too small for the Model S. They will have to make some big changes or move. Looking at the pics of other stores they too seem tiny for the large S to be on the floor, in repair and in stock.

And having the new San Jose store gives the south bay coverage already.
But there isn't a service bay in the San Jose store - it's retail only.

Though it does seem silly to have 4 different locations all within a few miles of each other (Palo Alto HQ, Menlo store/service/Roadster assy, San Jose store, Fremont Model S factory) - surely there's some consolidation to be had somewhere.

But Menlo Park isn't just a store. They have been doing (powertrain installation) assembly and all that. Perhaps all of the remaining Roadsters will be assembled out of the UK now?
This was part of my point. Assembly in Menlo Park should be winding down soon. I suspect some of those guys may be transitioned to building Model S betas. The original lease is up July 31, 2012... not sure if Stanford has extended that, but it seems Tesla will have to leave that location right around the time the Model S starts shipping.

From 2008: word doc

Stanford University currently owns six separate parcels of land along El Camino in Menlo Park. The first parcel is leased and occupied by the Stanford Park Hotel on a long- term ground lease. The second is a long narrow strip of land adjacent to the railroad tracks that Stanford purchased a couple of years ago in order to enhance our ability to eventually redevelop the entire site in a comprehensive manner. The final four parcels were formerly occupied by auto dealerships. All of these auto parcels have been subject to long-term ground leases that expire at various dates between 2012 and 2013. Stanford successfully reacquired two separated parcels earlier than their previous expiration dates. By working closely with the city, Stanford was able to successfully lease the property at 300 El Camino to Tesla Motors. Stanford is also working now with the city to lease the second property it reacquired early.

The other two vacant auto dealership parcels are still subject to long-term ground leases which expire in 2012 and 2013, and which currently prevent Stanford from comprehensively redeveloping all of these sites prior to their lease expiration dates. During Stanford’s discussions with city staff and council members, as well as public statements at city meetings, Stanford has been clear that our intent is to redevelop the entirety of the site (not including the Stanford Park Hotel) as one comprehensive project. We believe this is the best approach, since it provides Stanford and the city with the best long-term land use solution for that portion of El Camino. Stanford has also worked hard to lease the properties it does control to tenants that will help improve overall vacancy in the short term.

But there isn't a service bay in the San Jose store - it's retail only.
Though it does seem silly to have 4 different locations all within a few miles of each other (Palo Alto HQ, Menlo store/service/Roadster assy, San Jose store, Fremont Model S factory) - surely there's some consolidation to be had somewhere.

The Palo Alto HQ is big, and the Model S Factory is gigantic. If they have to move power-train assembly or service somewhere it seems like either of those locations could work as a consolidated location if Menlo Park had to close.

I gather they got out of all the locations around San Carlos too? The old HQ certainly vacated, but there were other things going on in neighboring buildings.

Strider, maybe you could ask them about plans for Menlo Park when you go on the owners tour soon?

The great thing about the Menlo Park store was that as the final assembly point for Roadsters, and as service for an area with probably the highest density of Roadsters, that store probably has more cars on hand at any given time than anywhere else in the world.
I choose my car colors based on looking at cars are the store. There was a Racing Green Roadster, but I didn't like the seat colors so we grabbed some samples and kind of held them over the seats to see if I liked the combination. This was before that snazzy online design tool although I don't think the online tool gets Racing Green quite right.

I had problems recently and went in on a stormy Saturday to get a firmware upgrade and took this picture. Probably the highest density of Roadsters in a given space anywhere as they had moved all the cars into the service area to protect them from the storm!

I hope Tesla keeps a Bay Area service location if they have to loose Menlo Park. There are probably lots of closed dealerships which can do the job. I bet that's why they opened Santana Row. That is a prime location for shopping and getting people's eye. Tesla is challenging the existing car purchase model. Most people think, "I need a new car" then go to dealerships, but with the Santana Row location it's more like getting people who have not yet decided to get rid of the car that's drilling a hole in their wallet every week into seeing how much fun it could be to own a Tesla! You don't need a service location there. They could service at the factory or with a ranger.

Attachments

• IMG_20110326_105128.jpg
    IMG_20110326_105128.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 338
I haven't seen this reported elsewhere, but was told today by a service rep in the Menlo Park service center that Tesla will be opening up a service center in South Palo Alto. The plan is to have it open by October when the Menlo Park service center is expected to be shutdown. Obviously it isn't official until it's official, but this should be very good news for anyone in Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Los Altos or Mountain View.

I haven't seen this reported elsewhere, but was told today by a service rep in the Menlo Park service center that Tesla will be opening up a service center in South Palo Alto. The plan is to have it open by October when the Menlo Park service center is expected to be shutdown. Obviously it isn't official until it's official, but this should be very good news for anyone in Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Los Altos or Mountain View.

Well it's pretty official in that it's listed on the Tesla Website. I'm looking forward to the one in Sunnyvale.

Brea COMING SOON
Burlingame COMING SOON
Costa Mesa
Fremont
Los Angeles
Menlo Park
Palo Alto COMING SOON
Sacramento COMING SOON
San Diego
San Rafael
Santa Barbara COMING SOON
Sunnyvale COMING SOON