TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Model S could'v saved Princess Diana?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kevin99, Aug 23, 2013.

1. kevin99

kevin99 Banned

#1 kevin99, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    I was still picturing how ridiculous the Model S broke the crush-test machine in the roof crush test. Then I realize the Model S could've saved Princess Diana. First the car won't roll over, like the Mercedes did. Second even if it did roll, the roof won't crush and the lives of passengers can be saved.

Just a thought that the crash test score is something deep and profound which will take a while for the public to fully appreciate.

Case in point, my wife, a very conservative women(complete opposite of me), has refused to drive my Model S so far because she feels the car is too fast. :crying: Two nights ago I asked her to read the crash test article and now she wants to learn to drive. And a TMC fellow suggests all the soccer Moms will ditch their minivans and go for the Model X, just an excuse to join the Tesla trend, I mean for the safety of their kids and family.

2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I read that Princess Diana didn't fasten the seat belt. In that condition and at that speed no car could have saved her.

3. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

Funny that I was thinking the exact same thing. I guess because it was in the news recently about new revelations regarding the accident resurfacing?
    If she really wasn't wearing a seatbelt I suppose the result would have been the same though her chances would have been better if it didn't flip.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Likewise, a seatbelt could have saved Princess Diana's life, so could a tank, or any other car in which she had the seatbelt on, or a blown tire on the paparazzi car that was chasing them, or a different choice of route, or...

This type of speculation really isn't helpful. There are a million little tiny things that 'could have' saved her life. Many smaller than a Model S.

5. kevin99

kevin99 Banned

You are right it is not about the could've would've. It is about the a group of people who would never consider Tesla will now snap up model s just for safety reason.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

About the safety results, today at Seattle store/SC:

(The Tesla portions are paraphrased from sleepy memory.)

Tesla: Guess what type of people the NHTSA report has brought in?
    Me: Soccer moms? Volvo drivers.
    Tesla: No. Older people. Like 80s and 90s. They get it. They want it.
    Me: How do they feel about the tech, etc.?
    Tesla: Honestly, some of them seemed as if they're glad such a vehicle was produced in their lifetimes.

Reminded me of the inspiring wine provider at Teslive.

7. kevin99

kevin99 Banned

brianman, I am surprised you were not the one who got on the stage with the wine. Seems you can't get enough from TESLIVE. :)

8. Zextraterrestrial

maybe next year?
    I was so stoked to give Georgina a ride in my S! ( the wine toaster)

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Heh. Gotta get what you can from precious vacation time. :)