Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Modern Spare tire doesn't secure in the trunk, or does it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it has become more of the norm for all auto makers not to include a spare tire or a dedicated place for a spare, but it shouldn't be and consumers shouldn't accept this practice at least not until good airless tires hit the market.
I wholeheartedly agree with you! Also common are Tesla owners who blindly argue for the status quo purely because anything else would be deemed offensive and psychologically unmanageable. "My car didn't come with a spare, and I've never needed one, therefore no car should ever come with a spare." "I'm not having issues with FSD, therefore FSD is perfect." "Safelite did a great job on my windshield, therefore they are faultless." One really needs to be careful about what they read here and who they take as an authority.

The *fact* is, if an owner wishes for a spare for their unique situation, then they should have a spare, and no single alternate opinion even registers. The thread should offer assistance aimed at that question.

Reactions: Resist
Modern Spare fits fine in subtrunk, no cutting, with tools, jack, etc. underneath:
1715656887180.png

Reactions: elambo and Skavatar
an alternative way to store the spare without cutting up the oem parts

This actually a great idea. The only problem I have with it is when you push back the foam/carpet it will most likely end up with a permanent crease in it. But again, Tesla should have given the cars a dedicated place for a spare tire.

On my last road trip I did reluctantly attach a tie down strap to the child seat hooks behind the rear seats, as someone here suggested. The strap then went through the spare tire bag hooks, it was tight and felt secure. It took up a little rear cargo space but I didn't have much luggage. Will the weight of the tire stay secure during an accident? That I'm not sure about as I don't know what the weight limit is for those child seat attachment points are. If the tire is thrown around with a lot of force in an accident, its weight could double on those attachment points. And now that I think about it, having it in the sub trunk, like in the video, it would be unsecured and become a missile during a roll over accident.

Reactions: Skavatar
yeah, it'll leave a crease or two. when its time to trade it could try warming it up with a hair dryer or heat gun on low and then put a heavy bag on top to get it close to factory shape.

just did it last night, i have mine facing down. and used a scrap piece of 2x4 to hold up the hanging end. I did not notice any additional road noise with the tub removed.

20240514_194322.jpg20240514_194348.jpg20240514_194433.jpg20240514_194647.jpg20240514_195059.jpg

yeah, it'll leave a crease or two. when its time to trade it could try warming it up with a hair dryer or heat gun on low and then put a heavy bag on top to get it close to factory shape.

just did it last night, i have mine facing down. and used a scrap piece of 2x4 to hold up the hanging end. I did not notice any additional road noise with the tub removed.

View attachment 1047485View attachment 1047486View attachment 1047487View attachment 1047488View attachment 1047489
Looks good and the trunk floor appears to be flush. As for the crease, does anyone think a dealership will notice that at trade in?

Reactions: Skavatar
Has anyone come up with a non intrusive way to secure the tire in that sub trunk area? Because of the spare tire's weight it will become a missile in a bad accident (like a roll over), so it really needs to be secured in place somehow.
Seen plenty of posts where they have strapped it down using gaps in the frame to thread ratchet straps. It's a little agricultural but works.