Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Securing Modern Spare Tire in back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone considered securing the Modern Spare in the back? It seems that in an accident that tire can come right up to front. Thinking it might be a good idea to tie it down somehow. Has any considered doing this or if you have, how did you do it?

Forget the spare!
It's not needed, along with the jack, lug wrench, gloves, pucks, etc.
Join AAA and call them and or Tesla when needed.
Here in NJ traffic on a very busy New Jersey Turnpike frequently moves at 80 mph.
You've got to be insane to attempt to change a tire on a nasty rainy night
Thanks for your opinion, but really wanting answers.

A) I already have the spare
B) asking if anyone has secured it and how.
C) Have AAA in case it is a wet nasty night. But here in Texas, there are times and places where changing to the spare is the only option.
D) My jack and lug wrench takes up very little space and only a few pounds.

(Listings, TX? Where is that?)

howardnj: Not everyone lives in congested areas. Those of us who drive in desolate areas don't have AAA as an option.
Sometimes, even when you do have the option… it’s not a pleasant one.

My other car, a 2010 Honda Fit has had to get towed home twice. First time was for a broken drive axle and the second was failed fuel pump.

Both times, the wait was many hours. The first time was in the middle of delivery work, so I borrowed my sister’s car to do the deliveries (we work in the same place) and the tow came near the end of my shift. The second time, I only found out my car was dead as I was leaving work around 9pm. What was normally a 10-15 minute trip turned into a 6 hour one (in the rain).

And I’m not in some rural area, but a decently populated suburb of Chicago.

Especially since I do deliveries, I can’t take the time to wait for roadside assistance.

Reactions: Skavatar
The second time, I only found out my car was dead as I was leaving work around 9pm.
What was normally a 10-15 minute trip turned into a 6 hour one (in the rain).

When talking to the operator, you should mention that
your car is in critical location and blocking the trafic.
Otherwise you will get put at the end of the priority list.

Sitting and waiting for a tow across a mountain pass.... or two mountain passes without reception isn't always the best option. Having the ability to "self-rescue" in CO is important. Granted, usually I am driving a dinosaur burner when off the beaten path, but, it is very possible I could be in the middle of nowhere in the EV and run over debris on the road. As such, I will have a spare in the car along with a plug set and inflator... and likely and overnight extreme cold weather survival kit like I keep in my Jeep and my Raptor.

All that being said, yes.. I think it will be a good idea to secure the tire it in that space. At the very least, strap the cover until I can figure out how to tie down the tire itself.

Reactions: Skavatar
Has anyone considered securing the Modern Spare in the back? It seems that in an accident that tire can come right up to front. Thinking it might be a good idea to tie it down somehow. Has any considered doing this or if you have, how did you do it?
The spare cannot make it to the front. The room between the roof and rear headrests is too small. I suppose in a crazy crash it could leave the rear glass, bounce off the canyon wall and come in through the windshield.

Has anyone considered securing the Modern Spare in the back?
It seems that in an accident that tire can come right up to front.
Thinking it might be a good idea to tie it down somehow.
Has any considered doing this or if you have, how did you do it?

I would strongly recommend securing a spare tire, there are some posting talking about this issue providing different options.
In the case of the Model Y, one possibility is to use some of the existing holes made in the frame to attach the 3rd row seat and seatbelts.
And in the case of the Model 3, the spare tire can be attached under the speaker shelf.

Look at this video where a suspect was ejected from a police cruiser when it crashed on the way to a detention center.

Last edited: