Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The most basic charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LJGrant

Jul 20, 2018
UK
Hi all, sorry for how simple this is going to seem but I collected my car yesterday and have a lot to learn.

I have a Model S 100D connected via a type 2 cable to a Pod Point charger at home. The car charged overnight and I’ll be taking it out later. How do I unplug it? Do I simply pull the plug out? This feels wrong but I can’t see a guide for simpletons like me and most of the literature refers to pressing a button on the official Tesla charger, which I don’t have.

Also, my mobile app seems to have stopped working, saying there is no car linked to my account. It worked yesterday, but I think the car did a software update overnight. Do these updates sometimes reset the mobile connectivity of the car or do I have a potential issue?

Thanks for reading!

Normally you will need to unlock the charge port, either within the charging menu in-car, on by pressing and holding down the back of the key.

Not sure if PodPoint chargers do anything different though as I remember they said they wanted their chargers to be super easy to use.

I've never had an issue with all connectivity except when the servers were down so maybe try calling your service centre and ask them to look in to it.

The button on the back of the plug is a Tesla-specific thing, so not supported by third-party equipment (though it's not impossible as a DIY modification). Likewise, the same button on official Tesla equipment has an RF transmitter to open the chargeport to allow you to plug in.

Third parties sell a stand-alone port opener (though you'd need to organize a group buy as they only sell in batches of 10), or complete type2 cable sets with a button that emulates the Tesla one.

You can press-and-hold the BOOT on the Fob. This will either unlock the charge port (and release the cable) or open the flap and open the charge port - allowing the plug to be pushed in.

Or you can use OPEN CHARGE PORT on the dashboard (press the lighting-strike symbol first, which will bring up the charging pop-up window, and on that is the OPEN PORT button)

(I have probably got the words slightly wrong as I don't have it in front of me, so this from memory)

As yours is a new model you can probably drive away with the charge port open and it will self-close - but you might prefer not to do that!

I think you can also push-to-open (if the car is unlocked).

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a and .jg.
For completeness let me report back that by holding down the boot on the fob the light in the charge port changed from green to light blue and I could disconnect. Thanks everyone, and apologies again for such a basic question.

Re my second query: I rang the service centre who said they’d get back to me but didn’t, however the app is now working. Perhaps they did something remotely, perhaps just coincidence.

Perhaps they did something remotely, perhaps just coincidence.

They have mailed me on an out of date email address is the past (having done as asked). Probably not the case for you as a new customer, and little chance you hvae already moved email!, but I'm fairly convinced that they are still doing that for me. I have no answer to emails after weeks ... despite me telling them to use latest email address in the body-text.

The fact that Tesla's back office systems do not refresh from email address changes I make in My Tesla comes as no surprise to me (now).

Come on Elon ... move your Camp Bed from assembly line to the Back Office and sort that out please.