Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Most Important Information from the Shareholder Meeting...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
...was that Elon has never been more excited about Tesla's future than he is today.

Perhaps it's reimagining factory design and output ala Henry Ford, or the democratization of electric transport with Model 3, or Tesla energy using half of Tesla's storage output and changing the world's energy equation. Perhaps he's excited to have intellectual equals that he really respects in JB and Franz and enjoys changing the world with. But having him in the game and invested mentally and emotionally (and financially) is about the best thing possible.

Please post your thoughts on what you thought was the best thing shared during the marathon presentation/Q&A.

I was at the presentation, and I found it very impressive to see the level of pride that Elon showed in what had been achieved against all odds over the 10+ years, and the fact that so many of those original people were still passionate and involved. He seemed genuinely moved when thanking AC Propulsion, Daimler and the employees.

I also got the impression that the discussion of the future of building the 'meta machine' came from his thoughts during long hours suffering on the factory floor during the X ramp up. I can imagine him standing there, staring at the line and thinking 'we can do better'

I was present at the meeting. To me the key points were:

1 - The acknowledgement by Elon that too much new tech was stuffed into the X such that it prolonged the development timeline and it caused problems when ramping up production. He won't do that again.

2 - Tesla Energy has so much potential that half the Gigafactory output may be for stationary storage.

3 - When completed the Gigafactory may be capable of triple the originally estimated battery storage production capacity than originally forecast.

4 - With the Model 3 Tesla will be offering pay-as-you-use Supercharging as well as an extra cost option of "free for life" Supercharging.

5 - The S and X will get the latest tech before the 3 gets it. Which tells me that it is possible that hardware capable of full autonomous driving may be incorporated into the S and X well before the 3 begins production. This is speculation, not fact!

For those that attended, do you know if the new hire from Audi, Peter Hochholdinger was present? If so, did anyone speak to him? I think it would have been far more powerful if he was the one that presented the information on optimizing the factory.

...was that Elon has never been more excited about Tesla's future than he is today.

Perhaps it's reimagining factory design and output ala Henry Ford, or the democratization of electric transport with Model 3, or Tesla energy using half of Tesla's storage output and changing the world's energy equation. Perhaps he's excited to have intellectual equals that he really respects in JB and Franz and enjoys changing the world with. But having him in the game and invested mentally and emotionally (and financially) is about the best thing possible.

Please post your thoughts on what you thought was the best thing shared during the marathon presentation/Q&A.

I have to agree and I wrote a blog post about some reasons that I think for the LONG history lesson at the Tesla Annual Meeting.

I think it's really about getting everyone comfortable with the increased velocity of producing cars to get to 500,000 vehicles by 2018.

Besides, as Elon stated: “…made with the right motivations… We say the things that we believe, even when we believe those things to be delusional.”

Besides, as Elon stated: “…made with the right motivations… We say the things that we believe, even when we believe those things to be delusional."

He definitely did not say that:rolleyes:.

He said something like "we always tell the truth, we don't intentionally lie. Some of the things we say might be delusional, but not dishonest.

No he did not - he said: "sometimes those things we believe are delusional"

ok... Missed the sometimes, and a few more... So, quote corrected in blog post "...made with the right motivations... We say the things that we believe, even when sometimes those things that we believe are delusional.",

I did not correct posts above to show history.

Last edited:
ok... Missed the sometimes, and a few more... So, quote corrected in blog post "...made with the right motivations... We say the things that we believe, even when sometimes those things that we believe are delusional.",

I did not correct posts above to show history.
Much better! Thanks! The way you had it originally, intentionally saying something he knows is delusional is stupid plus it's the same as saying something he knows isn't true.

Much better! Thanks! The way you had it originally, intentionally saying something he knows is delusional is stupid plus it's the same as saying something he knows isn't true.

As I posted, I was there and worked off both my notes and replays from the stored video... Had to play it over and over (and over, etc).

Either way, Elon basically just defined what we used to call "stretch goals" ;)

Maybe I'll listen to it and rank IMHO a prioritized or most important list

1. "We say the things we believe, even when we believe these things to be delusional" and this is another way of saying "We believe in Engineering first and the current state reality second"

Maybe I'll listen to it and rank IMHO a prioritized or most important list

1. "We say the things we believe, even when we believe these things to be delusional" and this is another way of saying "We believe in Engineering first and the current state reality second"
He did not say that! That's another way of saying (in the context of honesty) we say things that we believe are incorrect.

One person posts an incorrect quote and it over the forum!

He did not say that! That's another way of saying (in the context of honesty) we say things that we believe are incorrect.

One person posts an incorrect quote and it over the forum![/QUOT

quote is at the 4:02 mark

The exact quote from what I hear is "We say the things we believe, even when sometimes the things we believe are delusional" What do you hear?

Anywho, not sure why I care, but I think this statement sits at the heart of Tesla and I would like to get it right.

1. "We say the things we believe, even when we believe these things to be delusional".

... the quote is at the 4:02 mark.

The exact quote from what I hear is "We say the things we believe, even when sometimes the things we believe are delusional" What do you hear?

Anywho, not sure why I care, but I think this statement sits at the heart of Tesla and I would like to get it right.
...even when we believe these things to be delusional" means something entirely different than "even when sometimes the the things we believe are delusional ".

Your original quote means deliberately stating something that they know is delusional, but your second quote means that sometimes they believe things that turn out to be delusional.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I thought the single most important thing that came out of the shareholder meeting was Elon's long-term projection/estimate that revenue from Tesla energy and Tesla vehicles would be about equal.

That is beyond huge for shareholders, since it has the potential to effectively double the value of the company, assuming roughly equal margins for the two sides of the business.

It also highlights how important Tesla Energy is to Tesla and its future plans at a time when most people are not all that familiar with TE and its role in facilitating the growth of clean energy, especially solar.

Reactions: MitchJi