Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyota has said at several different times that it would be for sale to the public. Some of the recent authors quoted have not reflected current information.

That info doesn't seem to be in this thread, though. I went back as far as the following quote, which I seem to have remembered as meaning the question is still open:

JRP3 said: "So they are selling these outright, not leasing? "

That is what I have been told, and Toyota has released to date. That said, information has been VERY minimal!

2012 Toyota RAV4 EV Coming Soon | 100-Mi Per Charge Battery-Powered SUV | Ourisman Toyota Chantilly | PRLog
...The specifics about 2012 RAV4 EV have been kept mostly under wraps. Toyota has revealed their expectations regarding mileage: 100 "real world"-miles on a single charge...

But maybe that is just rehash of this older press release:

LA 2010: Toyota RAV4 EV; 35 Test Models Being Built With 2012 Target for Retail Sales [Video] | AutoGuide.com News
...The fully-engineered vehicle will have a target range of 100 miles in actual road driving patterns, in a wide range of climates and conditions...
...The demonstration vehicle Toyota is currently testing is powered by a lithium metal oxide battery with useable output rated in the mid-30 kwh range. However, many decisions regarding both the product, as well as the business model, have not been finalized. Battery size and final output ratings, as well as pricing and volume projections of the vehicle Toyota plans to bring to market in 2012, have not been decided...

Hopefully we get more up to date specifics about the production model on Monday!

Updated Toyota RAV4 EV Will Debut Next Week
...Toyota has said the new RAV4 EV, which is slated to go on sale in mid-2012, will be available for sale to the general public. It will have a range of about 100 miles between charges, Toyota said...

Last edited:
As long as Toyota actually sells them, and they use a standard charge plug (either Tesla or J1772) I don't care if it's only a compliance car. It will get more EVs on the road to stay. If demand buys them all up, then maybe Toyota will increase supply and if not, Nissan and Tesla will.

As long as Toyota actually sells them, and they use a standard charge plug (either Tesla or J1772) I don't care if it's only a compliance car. It will get more EVs on the road to stay. If demand buys them all up, then maybe Toyota will increase supply and if not, Nissan and Tesla will.

Sure every little bit helps, but it would be nice if Toyota demonstrated a commitment to produce EVs in volume, like Nissan has done.

Larry

That does seem pretty big, 370 W/mi. I don't know what the range of the Model X is but for the Model S, the Rav4EV chews up 1.3X as much energy per mile as the Model S. I guess with the range that they do not want to compete with the Model X

Is it just me or does 50K MSRP seem a bit high? I know that doesn't take tax credits into consideration (or does it?) but I was hoping for something like 29-35K. THAT would have been great to see. Essentially, it costs about 10K less than an entry level Model S (which would have better range, better performance, and more luxurious features). I think the Model S is aptly priced to compete well but I don't think the Rav4 is...but that's just me.

This all-electric SUV has an expected driving range rating of approximately 100 miles and charging time of approximately six hours on a 240V/40A charger. The RAV4 EV's driving performance, dynamics and cargo capacity are equal to or exceed the gas powered RAV4 V6. Arriving fully-equipped with an MSRP of $49,800

The front wheel drive RAV4 EV allows drivers to select from two distinctly different drive modes, Sport and Normal. In Sport mode, the vehicle reaches 0-60 mph in just 7.0 seconds and has a maximum speed of 100 mph. Normal mode achieves 0-60 mph in 8.6 seconds with a maximum speed of 85 mph. Maximum output from the electric powertrain is 154 HP (115kW) @ 2,800 rpm.

Toyota re-styled the front bumper, upper and lower grill, side mirrors, rear spoiler, and under body design to maximize air flow around the vehicle. The RAV4 EV's battery pack is mounted low and to the center of the vehicle

RAV4 EV features upscale LED low beam projector headlights with halogen projector high beams. A manual leveling system allows customers to redirect the headlights when the vehicle changes significantly in pitch due to a heavy load. Five vertical LEDs make up the daytime running lights, which dim to parking lights. The rear combination lights are LEDs accented by a unique light smoke outer lens. Other exterior variations from the gasoline powered RAV4 include new exterior emblems on the front, rear and the front door panel utilizing the signature Toyota "environmental blue."

The vehicle will be available later this year in three exterior colors: Blizzard White Pearl, Shoreline Blue Pearl and Classic Silver Metallic. The interior features a unique "Neutron" fabric, woven with a subtle sheen and blue accent, on the seat inserts and door trim.

Inside, a six-way adjustable driver's seat includes variable front seat heaters, which extends heater coverage to the occupant's upper back. The split reclining rear seats with folding center arm rest fold flat for increased cargo space, with a total cargo capacity equivalent to the conventional RAV4 of 73 cu. ft. No interior space is lost in the vehicle due to EV components.

The highlight of the interior is an eight-inch capacitive touch screen with a state of the art graphic display, featuring navigation, telematics, and EV drive information and settings designed specifically for the RAV4 EV. Entune™ is standard (with three year complimentary access to Entune™ services) along with SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with 3-month trial subscription to XM Select package), AM/FM radio, Bluetooth® streaming audio, and USB port with iPod® connectivity. The dash display color illuminates red when the vehicle is operating in sport mode and blue in normal driving mode.

I erased de blablabla

Sales volume is planned for approximately 2,600 units over the next three years.

"We believe that the RAV4 EV will attract sophisticated early technology adopters, much like the first-generation Prius," said Carter. "It's designed for consumers who prioritize the environment and appreciate performance. We look forward to seeing how the market responds."

Sounds like a compliance vehicle with a corporate "wait-and-see" attitude. They're certainly not taking any risks like Nissan or GM.

Larry

For the shortest charge time of approximately six hours, Leviton offers a custom 240V (Level 2), 40A, 9.6 kW output charging station. For more information visit Leviton.com/Toyota.

Nothing exciting here. The URL they provide is redirected to the web page that links to their 3.8 kW charger for the plug-in Prius. That charger is J1772. I assume that the 9.6 kW charger is also J1772.

Larry

Nothing exciting here. The URL they provide is redirected to the web page that links to their 3.8 kW charger for the plug-in Prius. That charger is J1772. I assume that the 9.6 kW charger is also J1772.

Larry

I don't know, I thought the 7 second 0 to 60 time was pretty good. Along with 4 wheel drive and some ground clearance, I can see where some may find this more handy than the Model S. Of course, it doesn't come close to the Model X but in the meantime, it'a an option.

Hi Domenick,

I was referring specifically to the charging approach. I was hoping, but not expecting, that Toyota would adopt the Tesla charging port.

Larry