Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I understood the guy correctly, the battery capacity is 37kWh and the real world range in 100 miles. That means they're expecting to eat up 370 watts per mile, which is higher than the real world draw of my Roadster. I'm guessing the Rav4 weighs quite a bit more, and they're probably not counting all the capacity as useable, but even so that seems like a pretty big penalty.

If we assume EPA rating of Leaf (73 miles) is real world and assume 24 kWh as the battery capacity - we get 328 watts per mile. Not far from that 370 w/m figure. Ofcourse Rav4 will have worse aero and will be heavier.

If I understood the guy correctly, the battery capacity is 37kWh and the real world range in 100 miles. That means they're expecting to eat up 370 watts per mile, which is higher than the real world draw of my Roadster. I'm guessing the Rav4 weighs quite a bit more, and they're probably not counting all the capacity as useable, but even so that seems like a pretty big penalty.

If you were to use 37 kWh in a Leaf, you'd get about 112 miles EPA. So with a bit of additional weight and a bit larger air drag, you'd come quite close.

EDIT: Didn't see EVNow's response at first.

Both articles had this line:
It is unknown whether the official RAV4 EV will be built off the existing RAV4 base, or whether it will be built on a new RAV4 base vehicle.
That is an interesting question. Wikipedia says:
The 4th generation Toyota RAV4 will be in production in the third quarter of 2012.[citation needed] The new RAV4 will be based on the Camry platform.[citation needed]

We were able to see a Toyota RAV4 EV prototype at the IdTechEx Electric Vehicles meeting last month. That car was built on a current RAV4, a model that's six years old. It is unknown whether the official RAV4 EV will be built off the existing RAV4 base, or whether it will be built on a new RAV4 base vehicle. The prototype vehicle had Tesla Motors markings on all the components under the hood, but was festooned with Toyota branding on the outside. No space in the passenger or luggage compartment were consumed by the electric drive train, presumably the battery pack is located underneath the passenger cabin just as it is in the Tesla Model S. The charging port, located under flap on the drivers side rear, used the Tesla-proprietary charging socket rather than the industry standard J1772.

Because it uses the Tesla-proprietary charging port the new RAV4 EV is likely to offer the 10 kilowatt charging rate that comes standard with the Tesla Model S, and might support the Tesla-proprietary Supercharger protocol. Tesla specifies the 10 kilowatt charge rate as providing up to 31 miles of range per hour of charging, and the Supercharger provides up to 320 miles of range per hour of charging. However both charge rates require charging stations using Tesla's proprietary charging connectors. The Tesla Model S comes with a J1772 adapter for access to the public charging network, but at a slower charging rate. Toyota could surprise us that the official RAV4 EV comes solely with a J1772 port, but if so the company would miss out on a chance to have a charging speed advantage over competitors.

It would be nice if another carmaker adopted Tesla's proprietary charging port, especially one producing in volume. ( I know that the RAV4 is likely to be merely a compliance vehicle.) Anyway it certainly couldn't hurt if Toyota helped with the Supercharger roll-out. :wink:

Larry

I believe that Toyota has much bigger plans for the Rav4 EV! Expanded distribution here, and a possible release in China to start!

It would be nice if another carmaker adopted Tesla's proprietary charging port, especially one producing in volume. ( I know that the RAV4 is likely to be merely a compliance vehicle.) Anyway it certainly couldn't hurt if Toyota helped with the Supercharger roll-out. :wink:

Larry

It would be very interesting if the new Toyota RAV4 EV adopted the Tesla plug. I would be surprised if they did though. I bet they stick with J1772 because of the shorter, 100 mile, range and therefore more likely to use public charging stations.

Yes, I'm sure that there could be an adapter, but that is not likely to be elegant for marketing reasons.

It would be very interesting if the new Toyota RAV4 EV adopted the Tesla plug. I would be surprised if they did though. I bet they stick with J1772 because of the shorter, 100 mile, range and therefore more likely to use public charging stations.

Yes, I'm sure that there could be an adapter, but that is not likely to be elegant for marketing reasons.

One of the big advantages of the Tesla plug is that it does both level 2 and level 3 ( supercharging ) via the same plug.
Since the Rav4-ev is almost certainly going to be <= 40kWh, it wont be able to supercharge - negating that benefit.

Curious whether the RAV4 will also have the automatic charge door open, such that you can plug it in with a single movement and a shopping bag (or laptop) in your other hand.

My guess is they place the plug in the same exact spot of the fuel tank door on current Rav4's because the body hasn't changed much from what I can tell in those photo's. Having a Rav4 V6 ICE, I am interested in checking this thing out and having the Tesla power train makes it all the more appealing!

My local dealer today took a deposit today to formalize the sale of their first Rav4 EV.

The sales manager asked me if I would give a sales lecture to their sales team, and answer their questions about electric vehicles. I said I would love to. We have not set up a date yet.

I suspect the penalty is largely due to the crappy aerodynamics.

My local dealer today took a deposit today to formalize the sale of their first Rav4 EV.

The sales manager asked me if I would give a sales lecture to their sales team, and answer their questions about electric vehicles. I said I would love to. We have not set up a date yet.

PIA has talked about something like this. Great to hear it from the sales side. See what you can learn and share if they want to expand to idea.

And here is why we want to train the sale staff at dealerships.

!!!

Michigan dealer sells roughly a Chevy Volt a day

According to Forbes, Serra Chevrolet in Southfield, MI – about 15 miles northwest of Detroit – sells about 25 Volts a month. The dealer trains each salesperson specifically on the Volt for at least 12 hours and encourages them to cross-sell the car to customers that come in looking for anything from an SUV to a midsize to a compact. To put a green point on the deal, about 15 percent of the dealer's electric power is provided by two windmills located behind the building.