Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The next big thing in AP 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hm, the next big thing seems to be to reduce the loss of accuracy. How else to interpret Karpathy?

Quote from twitter:
Andrej Karpathy @karpathy·8t
To get neural nets to work one must be super-OCD about details. With bugs nets will train (they "want" to work), but work silently worse.
Andrej Karpathy @karpathy·8t
The "move fast & fix stuff until it compiles then it's probably fine" approach is inadequate when each bug silently subtracts 2% accuracy.
Andrej Karpathy @karpathy
When my loss goes down it's not "cool, it's working!", it is "hmm it should be going down faster, something must be wrong". Okay, </rant>.

Very interesting post.... I think Andrej's approach (whatever that entails) combined with the super detailed maps engine and new processor news is likely the biggest clue as to how we are going to get to FSD. I still also wonder why Lattner didn't mesh... I know that's been talked about extensively in general terms, but I wonder specifically, what made someone at Tesla think, we aren't going to get to FSD fast enough with this guy's approach?

The only other thing I wonder about is why they haven't considered dual cameras on every single camera placement for redundancy and depth perception? I am sure this is not a novel idea.... and there is probably a very good reason for this besides cost but it seems to me that everything would be better in Karpathy's accuracy approach with dual cameras.... (you know... like a pair of eyeballs). The only thing I feel fairly certain about is that the processor will likely have to be updated on AP2.0 cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger