Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Perfect Tesla Raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a variation on offer in WA, also inspired by British Columbia.

http://carbonwa.org/

The rebates go towards lowering taxes and a tax credit for lower income workers.

I live in Washington and I am familiar with Washington politics as well as the law (my SO is a lawyer). I see a couple of problems with the initiative, one will dump it in the courts if it passes. The Washington constitution only allows initiatives to address one subject and the state supreme court has interpreted that very narrowly in the past to kill off initiatives. This initiative creates a carbon tax, but also funds the low income tax credit program, it will be challenged because of that and the opponents might win.

Another thing I find confusing is the bit about lowering the B&O tax on manufacturing because manufacturers will be paying more for electricity. Washington state ranks near the top of US states in renewable energy (and the state produced close to 11% of the entire country's renewable energy), most of it from hydro. The only reason Washington isn't ranked highest for renewable energy is there is one very large nuclear power plant still running on the Hanford reservation. Washington has one small coal powered plant which is scheduled to close soon and a couple of small natural gas power plants, but the percentage they contribute to the grid is negligible compared to hydro, nuclear, and other renewables.

They cite Seattle steel mills, or which there is one small mill. The biggest manufacturer in the state, by a massive margin is Boeing. The city of Seattle came close to bankruptcy in the early 70s when Boeing hit hard times and had to lay off a lot of people. The tech economy in the Seattle area has changed that quite a bit. Not only is Microsoft in the Seattle burbs, but all the cellular phone infrastructure work is done in and around Seattle too. And a number of other tech industries. I can see they are throwing Boring a massive bone here. I think Boeing pays more B&O tax than anyone.

The bulk of fossil fuel use in the state is for transportation and most of the natural gas in the state is used for home heating. Washington also has the second highest gasoline tax in the US. Between federal and state taxes, Washington consumers pay $0.625 a gallon for gas. End consumers will pay the bulk of this tax with higher gasoline and natural gas prices. I can see the opposition using higher gasoline taxes in attack ads on the initiative. It may pass, but it's no slam dunk. The GMO labeling initiative had massive support initially, but lost because of flat out lies told by a few special interests during the campaign.

They are trying to buy off Boeing with the big tax break, but Boeing has a natural stake in opposing carbon taxes in general. The airline industry is one of the biggest users of fossil fuels and the one industry with few viable alternatives on the horizon. It's a given the Koch family will oppose it, but Boeing might too and that would weaken support in some of the most liberal and most populated counties in the state. Boeing is still one of the biggest employers in King county and they dominate Snohomish county.

I'm so addicted to this raffle that, along with my numerous configurations I've made in the design studio I've also measured my garage to make sure an X fits. Ridiculous? Yes. Optimistic? Very. But still fun! This is a text book example of how a raffle should be run. Can't wait to find out the winners!

I'm so addicted to this raffle that, along with my numerous configurations I've made in the design studio I've also measured my garage to make sure an X fits. Ridiculous? Yes. Optimistic? Very. But still fun! This is a text book example of how a raffle should be run. Can't wait to find out the winners!
I just keep thinking of the electrical work I'll have to get done quickly if I win. Also thinking about feasibility of building a carport with solar roof.

Not ridiculous at all!!

Need to analyze 6 seat v 7 seat config, too.

I would argue in favor of keeping some budget set aside for after-market extras. For instance, paint protection film. Expensive, but I've saved a ton of body work. Of course, if you're a GOOD driver instead of driving like me... :) Or a center console organizer. Or...

And here's the beauty... the insidious beauty of it all... at least from my standpoint as a Tesla enthusiast... even if -- HEAVEN FORFEND!!! -- you should win an alternate prize or even simply win the satisfaction of sharing a bonding moment with N-6 other participants -- you'll no doubt appreciate how very tenderly I'm avoiding the "l" word :) -- you'll already know everything you need to know to just go ahead and finalize your order anyway! :)

Um... FYI.... I do NOT own any stock in Tesla... nor do I hand out my referral code...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna be really curious to see whether the winner decides to have get the HPWC ($750) and electrician ($500) we budgeted, or chooses just a basic charging circuit and maybe does the work him/herself.

I just keep thinking of the electrical work I'll have to get done quickly if I win. Also thinking about feasibility of building a carport with solar roof.

So...I have family visiting for the holidays, and my wife starting telling them about the raffle. They asked me more details about it; and knowing how Tesla obsessed I am, they ganged up to buy me two more tickets in advance of my birthday (on the day of the drawing).

So I just tripled my chances. 3rd time's the charm, right Alan!?!

BTW...definitely going for the HPWC. Anybody know of a converter to charge a LEAF from an HPWC?

And I can't begin to tell you guys how excited *I* am! I'm running on adrenaline and fumes at this point... can't WAIT to hand out the prizes, and especially to give somebody a Tesla... so cool!!!
And I'm excited for the success of your raffle. You folks were successful in raising some money for your organization, so it's a win-win.

New Year's Eve Drawing & Party...

OK, so we're doing the drawing at my house on New Year's Eve. Folks hopefully know that by now.

What they don't know is that our invitations were both late and screwed up. Folks who came to the Sep 26 Carbon Pricing Awareness Event might have noticed that the lists were printed out non-alphabetically, name tags were confused, and so on. Behind the scenes, paperless post forced us to use two invitations, each with about 800-900 people on it. I have come to loathe paperless post. And yet... what seemed seductively easy to use for NYE... and already had all the names in it... yeah yeah we used paperless post again.

Long story short: I have RSVPs from a bunch of folks, which is good. But no one here is entirely sure which invitation list got used, and from my own unscientific sampling, I can tell that a lot of people never received invitations.

Of course, even those who DID receive invitations have only done so over the last week or so, because we've been running late. And no surprise, lots of folks have plans already for NYE.

So... to this wide audience... if you HAVEN'T received an invitation... and if you would LIKE to come to the party / raffle drawing, please PM me so I can get you onto the headcount.

A few details:
+ 9 pm start
+ 10 pm raffle sales end, locally, nationally, globally, and galactic ally
+ Later, we've been saying 11 but it could be 12:05 both because we'll need to digest the last ticket sales and prep the drum and because we may wind up leaving ZERO room for conflicting interpretations of when prize income was awarded, we'll do the raffle
+ Food from A Fresh Endeavor, the chefs who will make everything right in our kitchen. Current thinking: a menu spanning Turkish, Indonesian and maybe one other cuisine
+ Open Bar
+ Bonnie will park her X in the driveway for people to inspect unless they don't feel like it(*)

Alan

(*)The party is in BOSTON and Bonnie is in CALIFORNIA so no, Bonnie's X will NOT be in our driveway, and if your entire body is now sagging with disappointment, I apologize for my little joke. :)

And I can't begin to tell you guys how excited *I* am! I'm running on adrenaline and fumes at this point... can't WAIT to hand out the prizes, and especially to give somebody a Tesla... so cool!!!

As someone who has ran several large raffles with expensive prizes (admittedly not Model S level), I can appreciate the large amounts of stress and adrenalin you're going through.

This truly is one of the best raffle experiences I've encountered, keep up the great work!

Last edited:
Will anyone be webcasting the drawing? Or tweeting?
This really is exciting, 2016 will be an AWESOME year for someone, and I am really hoping the funds make a difference too.

It will be great and I hope it is a long time forum participant that is is waiting patiently to buy a Tesla but would like to spend a little less and is waiting for a model3.

+ Bonnie will park her X in the driveway for people to inspect unless they don't feel like it(*)

(*)The party is in BOSTON and Bonnie is in CALIFORNIA so no, Bonnie's X will NOT be in our driveway, and if your entire body is now sagging with disappointment, I apologize for my little joke. :)

OK, so we didn't plan to come, then I read this and in the space of three seconds I thought:
1) Wow! A chance to see an X up close!
2) Well, we could rearrange our plans.
3) That sneaky devil.

Get some rest, maybe in a week or so :)

P.S. We won't be at the drawing. (That's pretty firm, unless you do happen to wrangle an X.)