Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

the "rear camera doesn't work" problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so, what happened was that an update didn't work, the ecu timed out and there's no way to recover it other than a 'power-fail' of the 12v bus (its power supply). and its true, some ecu's will lock up if an update didn't work (their update, that was given out by some load host, often a gateway) and they won't reset themselves. not a very robust design ;(

tesla needs to make it a bit easier for us to do the true 12v power-fail, since some systems do seem to get locked up and not self-resetting (no internal watchdog, sigh..)

Reactions: RedNeB
today, I noticed a momentary black rear camera screen. it went black for about 1 second, then came back to life (this was all while in reverse, backing out of my garage spot). I have not seen this before; it either fails and stays failed (backup cam) or it works from the start. this 1 second blackout is kind of new, for me ;(

• Informative
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Had the same issue today in my M3 with 1200 miles on it.
I was parked and watching a UTube video I did not stop the video before putting in reverse. The backup camera blacked out for approx. 5 seconds and then started working normally. Up to today, the backup camera has been working OK. Perhaps, it took that long for the video to shut down and return control to the screen?

Problem solved. Just happened to me last night. This morning tried the camera again and it still didn’t work. Tried a hard reboot, no help. After viewing the posts on this thread I turned off sentry and pulled the dash cam stick. Then did a hard reboot again and let the car sit for 30 minutes.
Camera is now working. Thanks all!

we haven't been driving much lately cause of the SIP but yesterday i had a black backup camera event. however this time it was only the backup camera that was affected and it resolved after putting the car in D and then back into R. also M3 delivered Dec 2019.

might not be a bug. Mine does the black out when I close the trunk. Just started happening. worked flawless before. It always comes back up after the car sits for a while. but every time I open the trunk and close it black out again. I recorded a video to show in messages for my appointment. I just posted this to maybe help others out on the actual cause of the black out. Mine is likely a loose cable, connector, or camera it self. will find out after the appointment.

probably a loose cable for you? i know for sure my reverse camera stays on thru open/close of the trunk. kind of humorous watching it as the trunk moves. but in my case i've owned the car for about a year now and whatever problem i had seems like software; it still happens (rarely) if i open and close the camera but nowadays eventually after toggling it enough times it comes back. IOW it is not associated with opening the trunk but rather activating and deactivating the camera.

probably a loose cable for you? i know for sure my reverse camera stays on thru open/close of the trunk. kind of humorous watching it as the trunk moves. but in my case i've owned the car for about a year now and whatever problem i had seems like software; it still happens (rarely) if i open and close the camera but nowadays eventually after toggling it enough times it comes back. IOW it is not associated with opening the trunk but rather activating and deactivating the camera.

That’s what I thought initially. I opened up the panel and the connector on the camera was secure. I even took it out and re secured it. Not sure where else to look for a loose connection. It’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. I just want give the service center a good idea of how to re create the problem so the issue doesn’t get categorized as a “wait for firmware” type thing. It flickers to a black screen for a second when I first hit the open button via screen or even outside in the trunk, but stays on until the trunk lid is open all the way open then blacks out and doesn’t come back. If I open the lid half way or 3/4 of the way stays on. I can shut it hard even after opening it 1/2 or 3/4 of the way and it still stays on. It’s a mystery. Thanks for checking to see if yours stays on the whole time.