Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess this is why ABML is down today:
American Battery Technology Company, today announced it has entered into definitive agreements with a single institutional investor for the purchase and sale of 9,090,910 shares of its common stock at a purchase price of $1.65 per share in a registered direct offering, for gross proceeds of approximately $15 million before deducting placement agent fees and expenses.

• Informative
Reactions: ggies07

[…]​
It takes four or five times as much copper to build an electric vehicle as a petrol-fuelled one. Copper goes into the cabling for ev charging stations, and into solar panels and wind turbines. At present, annual “green” demand for copper is 1m tonnes, or just 3% of supply. Goldman reckons that will reach 5.4m tonnes by 2030.​
[…]​

Hope this isn’t off-topic: seemed like the most appropriate thread.

Old electric cars are a raw material of the future

This article from The Economist discusses EV recycling, mostly focusing on recovering Li, Co, and Ni from batteries. For investors there are many companies mentioned — many already discussed on TMC but some were new to me.

The author’s grasp on technology could be better, but I found it worth reading.

Another article in the same issue covers a UK startup with a new technique for recycling neodymium magnets:

A way to recover rare earths from electric motors’ magnets

Reactions: JRP3
Thanks to @traxila for sharing this interview and opening our eyes to this company. While this is a risk, I've been watching several interviews and reading their material and like what I see.

1) I want to see the EV transition happen as fast as possible, so that means rooting for any company that helps meet that goal
2) I want to invest in those companies to say I did all I could to help the transition
3) If I make money in the long-term, that's nice

So I know from the start these types of companies are risks, like ABML, but I'll take some play money and do what I think is right.

Here are some things are have notated real quick:

-From Tesla battery Day and all the cathode videos from The Limiting Factor, we know Ni and Mn are the two most important out of these four materials
-World used 2.3m tons of Nickel last year - 270m tons they can extract - 100 years worth of Nickel
-less geopolitical concerns due to location
-90% carbon reduction vs. land extraction
-4,000 meters deep, no light - ecosystems stark
-more elements per nodule than with land extraction
-$10/share now - could be up to $73 in 2027

Here are some vids I've watched:

ABML has been doing well lately, probably a boost from the upcoming move to listing on the Nasdaq

Reactions: Xepa777
ABML has been doing well lately, probably a boost from the upcoming move to listing on the Nasdaq

It went down for a few weeks after I bought in, but it has been trending up the last week or two. It looked like a good solid stock despite the short term noise. NASDAQ listing should help boost it a bit more.

• Informative
Reactions: redan and ggies07

Good news for me. I inherited a bunch of Schlumberger stock that was very depressed when my father passed. My father was heavily invested in oil and my sister bought even more oil stocks with the money from his house. The dividends paid for his care the last couple of years, but they all took a big hit last year. I was thinking Schlumberger was going to be among the last to come back.

I am working on pivoting to a different investment strategy, but I'm sitting on the oil stocks until they recover.

Schlumberger is a good company, they are the Cadillac data collection company in the oil business. I'm glad to see they are redirecting their tech in new directions.