Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The sad part of owning a Tesla... accidents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no visible body damage or bent aluminum parts that will need replacement/fixing, the radiator broke because of the way the coyote hit the car and went under it, the nose cone is not broken either. I can drive around with the rest of the body damage, as long as the radiator can be replaced quickly.
The battery charge is <100 miles now and when the accident happened it was ~180, so in the 16 days since the accident I've lost about 80 miles of range. I can't connect to the car anymore as the body shop has turned off the remote access.
Basically the car will sit and rot for 2 months until we're waiting on parts and to be fixed. I have a body shop and repair shop that I bring my other cars for the past 10 years and they know what they are doing and can replace that radiator easily. I'm sure even Tesla in Watertown can replace that quickly enough and replacement body parts like the front bumper I can wait (there are few cracks on the left that can't be seen in the photo).

I'm still waiting to hear back from Tesla in Watertown and see what they will say about it. I don't think it's unacceptable to have the car rot there for months until they decide to ship parts and when the body shop decides to work on it.
This really makes owning a Tesla a very painful experience and options are very limited to 1 body shop and 1 part supplier. The good thing I don't care about the battery and what happens to it at this point as it's a Tesla loaner battery I received while I was in Sacramento since mine started to malfunction and it was sent to Fremont for evaluation.
I still hope the body shop will plug the car at low current to maintain the level of charge at least, so no degradation happens.
I tried supercharging the car while waiting for the tow truck, just couldn't accelerate to 88mph: :tongue:
View attachment 86430

@skboston,

Now THATS a true TESLA shot!!! Love it. That lightning bolt. My question which is probably more appropriate in the battery and charging thread but is to the point here due to you're issue so I'll ask it here: what happens to a Tesla Battery that goes TOTALLY dead due to no charging or being left dormant on a car lot or body shop lot? How damaging (if any) is it? Is it just sme degradation that is unrepairable and will be with the battery then for the life of the vehicle? Some dead cells, what? I haven't seen that addressed in the B&C area of the forum though I haven't searched yet but will.

Ski

*sigh*

Le smoosh:

View attachment 89209

A fawn apparently thought my car was its mother or something and decided to take a sharp turn right in front of me...

Besides the obvious damage, it appears to have pushed something structural back, as the left wheel now rubs slightly in reverse and the fog lights are pushed back from the bumper cover. It popped the bumper cover loose, which won't go back into place. It appears I will be driving my pickup for a while.

@FlasherZ,

Does something like that go on a CarFax report for resale? Just be glad you DIDNT throw it up over your hood and into your windshield......I've heard of people kicked to death by the hooves as they're trying to get out.

Ski

3 Months ago I was waiting behind a pickup truck at a stop sign when he decided to back up to let a semi turn.
I guess he forgot what those big shiny things on the sides and the one in the middle are for and backed into me. Not a great deal of damage and I am still driving car but hood and nose cone need to be replaced.
Local Body shop [ no structural damage so I am able to use a local non-Tesla certified shop ] has been trying to get parts for 2 1/2 months but so far no one from Tesla has even responded to their queries. As well I have a cracked rear window and Glass repair shop have been getting the "run around" [ their words..] for about 6 weeks as far as getting a replacement.
I guess being in Canada makes it even harder to get parts but 3 months???
I have asked some higher ups at our service center here to look into this but at this point I am pretty unhappy with this very poor level of service... Love the car and always talk it up about what a great car and company Tesla is but if this goes on much longer it will be hard for me to continue being so upbeat about them :(

3 Months ago I was waiting behind a pickup truck at a stop sign when he decided to back up to let a semi turn.
I guess he forgot what those big shiny things on the sides and the one in the middle are for and backed into me. Not a great deal of damage and I am still driving car but hood and nose cone need to be replaced.
Local Body shop [ no structural damage so I am able to use a local non-Tesla certified shop ] has been trying to get parts for 2 1/2 months but so far no one from Tesla has even responded to their queries. As well I have a cracked rear window and Glass repair shop have been getting the "run around" [ their words..] for about 6 weeks as far as getting a replacement.
I guess being in Canada makes it even harder to get parts but 3 months???
I have asked some higher ups at our service center here to look into this but at this point I am pretty unhappy with this very poor level of service... Love the car and always talk it up about what a great car and company Tesla is but if this goes on much longer it will be hard for me to continue being so upbeat about them :(

UPDATE: Got a call from Body shop yesterday, they said that Tesla service center had just called them and told them the required parts "should" be here in 2 to 4 weeks. I guess my email to service center manager helped. Will see how long it actually takes to gt the parts...

So, I'm going to add my woes to the thread but bottom line is what do we do to get the word out about these cons of owning a Tesla if you need repairs? I've contacted Tesla Dallas, Tesla CA, & am working on Consumer Reports - this is a huge problem and no one seems willing/able to help: I hit some debris on the hwy in my Model S P90D in April 2016. As you've read, there are only 2 Tesla authorized shops in the Dallas area - John Eagle Collision in Dallas and Trade Secret in Plano. We chose Trade Secret in Plano because of its location. It's been over 4 months and my car still isn't repaired. They say they have trouble getting parts from Tesla. I've tried to get Tesla involved and I'm stuck there too. Anyone have ideas where I can turn? Trade Secret promised me my car would be ready this month but yesterday said it's still not finished and they don't have a finish date in sight! I'm trying to get Trade Secret mgmt involved b/c I keep getting the run around. I feel like Tesla is a great car unless something goes wrong and then your screwed! Please help - I miss my car! Thanks!
Note - a friend had a similar problem with Trade Secret - it took them 3 months to repair her car and they said that was average! I called John Eagle today and they said their turn-around time is about 2 months...both time frames are unacceptable!

So sorry you have to go through this, if my Model S wasn't a total loss and had to be repaired I'd be pretty upset too if it took so long just to get parts. It's crazy that it's actually faster to order a car and have it built from scratch. Have you tried message Jon McNeil? (President of Sales/Service). He reads these forums too I believe. Sorry if this has been suggested before! Good luck!

So, I'm going to add my woes to the thread but bottom line is what do we do to get the word out about these cons of owning a Tesla if you need repairs? I've contacted Tesla Dallas, Tesla CA, & am working on Consumer Reports - this is a huge problem and no one seems willing/able to help: I hit some debris on the hwy in my Model S P90D in April 2016. As you've read, there are only 2 Tesla authorized shops in the Dallas area - John Eagle Collision in Dallas and Trade Secret in Plano. We chose Trade Secret in Plano because of its location. It's been over 4 months and my car still isn't repaired. They say they have trouble getting parts from Tesla. I've tried to get Tesla involved and I'm stuck there too. Anyone have ideas where I can turn? Trade Secret promised me my car would be ready this month but yesterday said it's still not finished and they don't have a finish date in sight! I'm trying to get Trade Secret mgmt involved b/c I keep getting the run around. I feel like Tesla is a great car unless something goes wrong and then your screwed! Please help - I miss my car! Thanks!
Note - a friend had a similar problem with Trade Secret - it took them 3 months to repair her car and they said that was average! I called John Eagle today and they said their turn-around time is about 2 months...both time frames are unacceptable!

My car has been at Trade secret for over a month waiting on a headlight - Just heard today it will be at least 2 more weeks.
All they need is the headlight - so frustrating.

IMO the sad repair story with tesla is a major blemish on the company. Is there a way that we as owners could collectively approach Elon in a civilized and constructive way, so he could get this on his radar to improve?

You are probably aware that you don't NEED to take a Tesla to any "Tesla Approved" body shop, as Tesla is required to approve any shop you choose. You also don't NEED to replace every part, which will save buying expensive parts. I have had repaired at a local body shop three different accidents. The first cost me about $2000. The last, with similar damage, was near $10,000. The difference was mainly in using new parts. It would have been much more if I had taken it to Tesla to fix.

I think, for myself, that the high price of parts might be a hint to look around, price around, think of maybe why people need "new" parts. I have part of my last accident sitting on my shelf: The nose cone never got hit, but popped off and dangled by the sensor wires. It was replaced. I probably will not allow that again.

Secondly, people should not accept being told that they must wait two weeks, or six weeks, or three months for a part. Get on the phone. Write emails. Be the squeaky wheel. My Tesla parts were originally going to take 6 weeks. I got them in one.

So sorry you have to go through this, if my Model S wasn't a total loss and had to be repaired I'd be pretty upset too if it took so long just to get parts. It's crazy that it's actually faster to order a car and have it built from scratch. Have you tried message Jon McNeil? (President of Sales/Service). He reads these forums too I believe. Sorry if this has been suggested before! Good luck!
How do I reach Jon McNeil? Thank you