Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The sad part of owning a Tesla... accidents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These stories are rather worrisome. Has anyone had a positive experience with Tesla repair after an accident? I know that forums are usually biased toward negative experiences, so I'm curious if the experiences in this case are 100% negative, because that would be uncommon & indicative of a serious issue. Usually there are always some positive stories to balance out the negative ones.

I had to have mine fixed due to fairly bad damage from sliding into a curb sideways. Included suspension control arms, hubs, brake rotors, brake calipers, drive shafts, wheels, tires, air suspension, steering rack, and they had to realign some of the front end subframe.

The positive is that Tesla and the body shop did a fantastic job. The car is exactly like it was before the accident -- no flaws in the fit/finish, drives/tracks perfectly straight, all systems work perfectly.

The negative -- time to repair was 10 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
These stories are rather worrisome. Has anyone had a positive experience with Tesla repair after an accident? I know that forums are usually biased toward negative experiences, so I'm curious if the experiences in this case are 100% negative, because that would be uncommon & indicative of a serious issue. Usually there are always some positive stories to balance out the negative ones.

I wouldn't think this forum would be particularly biased towards negative experiences when it comes to accidents because many of the accidents being reported are being reported by long-time posters. So they didn't come to the forum just to post a bad experience about an accident repair, but rather were users of the forums, had an accident, and then shared their experience.

Naturally there still may be some negative bias, based on the fact that as you originally suggested, some people just come to forums to complain. But in my opinion the accident repair descriptions from long-time posters should be fairly objective.

• Informative

Mine was a very positive experience. The recommended place from the service center was on my insurance company's "no-hassle" list. I dropped it off, they did all the work, I picked it up 2 weeks later fixed. The guy who is Tesla certified is a perfectionist, even moreso than I can be... VERY pleased.

Insurance rates weren't affected (they went up, but not by much and not due to the accident).

• Informative
I wouldn't think this forum would be particularly biased towards negative experiences when it comes to accidents because many of the accidents being reported are being reported by long-time posters. So they didn't come to the forum just to post a bad experience about an accident repair, but rather were users of the forums, had an accident, and then shared their experience.

Naturally there still may be some negative bias, based on the fact that as you originally suggested, some people just come to forums to complain. But in my opinion the accident repair descriptions from long-time posters should be fairly objective.

This is my first post, and unfortunately, it's negative...
Got into a fairly significant accident with my MS last October. Someone rear-ended me while traffic came to a stop on the freeway. Bumper was smashed, damage to the trunk lid, tail lights damaged, but no damage to battery. It's been 12 weeks now, and still no car. The guy at the shop said I might get it next week, but it was further delayed because Tesla sent the wrong bumper sensors. I've heard of other stories as well, and unfortunately, all negative in terms of wait time. So even though this is my first post, it's not to just trash Tesla (although this experience is definitely making me think twice about purchasing another one). This seems to be a pretty common occurrence, and it's a damn shame. I love the car, but this kind of wait to get it back from the shop is ridiculous. And judging by the number of MS's that were sitting at this shop, it doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon.

• Informative
Got into a fairly significant accident with my MS last October. Someone rear-ended me while traffic came to a stop on the freeway. Bumper was smashed, damage to the trunk lid, tail lights damaged, but no damage to battery. It's been 12 weeks now, and still no car. The guy at the shop said I might get it next week, but it was further delayed because Tesla sent the wrong bumper sensors. I've heard of other stories as well, and unfortunately, all negative in terms of wait time. So even though this is my first post, it's not to just trash Tesla (although this experience is definitely making me think twice about purchasing another one). This seems to be a pretty common occurrence, and it's a damn shame. I love the car, but this kind of wait to get it back from the shop is ridiculous. And judging by the number of MS's that were sitting at this shop, it doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon.

Welcome to the forums! Sorry it's an accident and this experience that is the reason for your first post.

Aside from the impact on the people actually experiencing the accidents and waiting for their cars, these long delays in getting cars repaired after accidents may eventually have a negative impact on all Tesla owners. If insurance companies paying for rental cars while their customers' Teslas are being repaired come to the realization that repairing a Tesla takes several times longer than repairing other models, that additional cost will get past along to us in the form of higher premiums. I agree with you that Tesla should do what they can to improve this part of their game.

• Informative
the big issue is the "lock" that tesla maintains on who can repair the cars and the way parts are made available for repairs. you are forced to use their authorized repair facilities who are dependent on the mothership for their supply of replacement parts.

the big issue is the "lock" that tesla maintains on who can repair the cars and the way parts are made available for repairs. you are forced to use their authorized repair facilities who are dependent on the mothership for their supply of replacement parts.
Yep, that's why a monopoly never works out in the customers favor. They are stuck, and at the mercy of the monopoly.

Yikes 12 weeks is a long time. Just the opportunity cost of not being able to drive your car for 3 months is about $4,500 solely based on $1,500/month depreciation for 3 months. And on top of that the accident has likely diminished the value of your car by an additional $15-20K. Have you been compensated by the insurance company of the person who rear ended you for these losses in addition to covering the cost of fixing your car? They also need to offer you a comparable rental as well. Can you just rent a Model S from Tesla and have the at fault insurance company pay for that? That would be a nice service for Tesla to offer and it will not cost them anything as it will be covered by the insurance company. Might be a good way to handle long delays for Tesla parts and sloe service of Tesla repair shops.

In addition to fixing your car, they owe you about an additional $20-25K.

Same thing happened to me minus the tail lights. I'm on week 8 and am told that I would be getting it next week. Original estimate was 4.5k in damages and now it is 10k. The process is very long and tiresome because of parts delay and additional approvals required by the insurance company. Once I get the car back, I'll begin the long journey of fighting diminished value and loss of use. :frown:

I believe things will get better once the older Teslas are out of warranty. As more cars get wrecked and parted out there will be more used parts available on the market. There are a ton of parts Tesla will just flat out NOT sell you, and next time you need a radiator instead of being at Tesla's mercy for an overpriced part.... you'd hopefully just be able to find one online 3rd party.

There are 2 Tesla approved Tesla body shops in the Atlanta area. Tesla doesn't go around choosing body shops; it's the shop that applies to become a Tesla approved one. However, to become one, extensive training needs to be undertaken. In addition, certain machines have to be obtained that allows the shop to manipulate the aluminum. This entire process is very time consuming and expensive so only high end repair shops are going to bother achieving the Tesla certification.

Will the introduction of the aluminum-body Ford F150 lead to additional body shops able to handle aluminum? And if so, will their experience with the F150 translate to body work on Tesla?

There are 2 Tesla approved Tesla body shops in the Atlanta area. Tesla doesn't go around choosing body shops; it's the shop that applies to become a Tesla approved one. However, to become one, extensive training needs to be undertaken. In addition, certain machines have to be obtained that allows the shop to manipulate the aluminum. This entire process is very time consuming and expensive so only high end repair shops are going to bother achieving the Tesla certification.

Will the introduction of the aluminum-body Ford F150 lead to additional body shops able to handle aluminum? And if so, will their experience with the F150 translate to body work on Tesla?
one would think that yes as more aluminum bodied vehicles are sold more repair shops will gain experience working on that metal. however I see that there are two problems remaining that hinder any cost of repair reductions;
1. work with aluminum is very different than working on other materials, think of a beer can, once you put a ripple or a dimple in it you will never be able to return it to original form and
2. as long as tesla maintains a lock on replacement parts those parts will remain costly to obtain.
so while there will be more experienced repair technicians and more choices for the consumer in the marketplace for repairing aluminum as long as there are no third market part makers costs for body repairs will more than likely remain high.

I am going through my first experience with body repairs on my MS. One thing I have learned is the problem is and always with Tesla on shipping parts.

I have found Tesla to be very helpful in ascertaining exactly when parts are shipped and received by the body shop. My experiences the body shops are reluctant to tell you when the parts have been received in order to have an excuse for their backlog in making repairs. After two months of excuses with nothing have been been done on my car and still getting the story that they were waiting on parts, I contacted the local Tesla parts representative. He was happy to contact the Tesla Warehouse in California (from where most of the parts are shipped) and provide me a complete list of all parts with the order date from the body shop and the dates each part was shipped by FedEx along with a tracking number, which allowed me to identify the actual date of receipt by the body shop.

Guess what? The problem was not with Tesla but with the story I was getting from the body shop.

It took a week for the body shop (an authorized Tesla repair facility) to get around to ordering the parts after the adjuster had approved the estimate.
The parts were all received by the body shop within eight days of being ordered It took about a week for the body shop to get around to ordering the parts after the adjuster had approved the estimate.

All parts (including a structural rear panel) were shipped from and received in 8 days or less.

My insurance companies check for almost $30,000 (over $20,000 of which was for labor that has not even begun) was received by the time the parts came in.

Yet well over a month later, the body shop told me that they were waiting on some parts including a structural part.

Far as I know, repairs still have not started on my car but at least I now know who is responsible for the continuing delay.

I suspect that the problem is being the only game in town other than one minor facility that is not even accepting new vehicles. They are so backed up not only with Teslas but other high-end aluminum body cars that they do not want to admit the extent of the backlog.

There is also no guarantee that a body shop that has a monopoly on Tesla repairs does not put other high-end exotic vehicles in front of the Teslas or concentrate their labor on non-aluminum quick turnaround projects where they can churn a number of repairs in the time that it would take to do one aluminum-bodied car.

Tesla really needs to take affirmative action to incentivize body shops to become authorized repair facilities, even if they have to subsidize the purchase of the special equipment needed for aluminum repairs. For example, aluminum repair requires a clean room and a technician who has gone through a three-week five day a week intensive Tesla training course in California as well as a specialized riveter. I have been told that one facility spent close to $300,000 to construct a BMW certified repair facility.

The problem is only going to get worse as more and more car manufacturers turned to aluminum for their high-end cars.

@Matrixunloaded :: I had two repair work done in Dallas area body shop as well. I can understand your frustration.

I definitely feel that there should be more than just 2 body shops in DFW area.

There are plenty of body shops who would be willing to repair Tesla. Create a competition among the body shops and then you will see drop in price for repairs.

The problem can be worse if Model 3 rolls out and there are not enough Tesla authorized body shops by then

Model 3 won't be Aluminum
Third-Generation Tesla Won't Be Made of Aluminum, Says Tesla VP of Engineering

.. and Model 3 clogging up the system is 18 months out. But the system is already clogged up.

Tesla is probably the WORST car to own when it comes to repairs.

I wonder what the experience with repairs is in Europe for Tesla as we are lucky to have laws forbidding monopolies on maintenance and repair, you can even do your warranty maintenance at Midas if you own a BMW. The resulting bills are much lower than the figures you indicate. Now if Tesla takes weeks to ship parts from California to Boston, I can't imagine how long that will take to Europe... If someone has made the experience it will be very interesting.

Accidents do happen and everyone knows that and it's never a pleasant experience, I get that. However, I'm finding that it's not going to be simply unpleasant experience, but more likely very frustrated one.
My car was involved in what I believe is a minor collision with a coyote (it didn't survive) back on June 20th far far away from Boston. I spoke with Tesla, they arranged a tow immediately and and they recommended I bring the car to the nearest authorized body shop 400+ miles away in Minnesota or Nebraska. After weighing my options I decided to not wait for the insurance company to get the ball rolling and move the car back to Boston figuring it will be much easier to fix where I live and called in a friend that arranged an Auto transporter for about $1400, which I paid out of pocket so I don't have to wait until insurance underwriter approves it.
I figured they will cover it, otherwise next best option is to have a tow truck drive 400 miles at a rate of $5 per mile to bring the car to MN. This was it's cheaper and since it's a local insurance company it will be easier for them to appraise the car.

What I didn't know is that there is 1 body shop for the entire MA area and they are clogged with Tesla's and other cars and simply the process is so slow, they are unwilling to order parts ahead of the appraiser, despite the fact I offered to pay out of pocket and deal with insurance down the road.
I was told that my car will possibly be ready sometimes in August and there is a possibility of the car being ready in September, parts alone are 4-5 weeks to arrive and then there is a backlog of cars waiting to be fixed, so that's going to take time before my car gets in line.
I find the whole experience pretty frustrating as simply there are 1000's of Tesla's around Boston and only 1 body shop that's allowed to work on our cars.
My damage is mostly cosmetic and you can see it from the pictures, except for a ruptured radiator, which can be replaced by any respectable repair shop and since I can't order the parts myself and Tesla takes its time with shipping them from the factory, I'm out of luck and car for what could be close to 3 months for a minor accident.

View attachment 86423

Here is a photo from the tow truck, I'm going to save you the more graphic images, but if you insist I can upload a couple of them. As you can see most of the damage is cosmetic, few pieces broke off, the plastic cover is in tact, just needs to be re-attached. The hidden damage is the radiator that cools the battery, it was damaged from the animal I hit and turns the car into a statue and now will take more than 2 months to fix.

I've always liked how Tesla treats me and other others and is number 1 is service, but these sort of situation makes owning a Tesla a very unpleasant experience. I can't grasp my head around the idea that I might not be able to drive my car until August/September for something like this. Radiators are common parts and shouldn't take Tesla 4-5 weeks to ship them and it the monopoly of 1 body shop authorized to work on cars in the entire MA region is simply unacceptable.
If I can get the parts from Tesla, my repair shop can easily replace the radiator, fill the fluid, fix the alignment if needed and if I have to bring it to Tesla to inspect it just in case. I didn't wreck the car to a point that makes unrecognizable...

If this issue isn't addressed soon by Tesla, it will come and bite them very hard.

@skboston,

I haven't read through all five pages of this thread yet (am currently in the process), so forgive the question if this is answered downthread......did Tesla give you a 'loaner' for the three months or are you either on your own for a rental or a rental covered by the insurance agency?
Secondly, Wow....three months without the vehicle....I shudder to think how this will play out with 375,000 M3's on the road and all THOSE accidents. Maybe more body shops will get certified due to the increased prospect/likelihood of more business.

Ski

Just an offer of empathy. I just got my Tesla back on Friday after almost 5 weeks in the shop (and 2 months after being backed into). It took Tesla 3-4 weeks to get the parts to the body shop, and then the body shop almost 5 weeks to do the repair. In Dallas we have only 2 shops for Tesla, and they are VERY busy.

It really stinks, but just another one of the "cons" on the pro/con list when buying this vehicle. Repairs are 1,000% more headache than other cars.

How do we find out what body shops are Tesla Certified in our area/state? Is that located somewhere on the Tesla main site?

Ski

Tesla needs to address this issue and get more approved body shops ASAP if they are serious about their sales growth plan. Can you imagine 1 approved repair shop with the current MS population PLUS MX and M3 within a couple years? Nightmare.

I will say this, even with my choice of body shops I have a relatively minor front ender in a Range Rover take 2 months to repair.

Just FYI, these body shops have to pay thousands to get selected people certified to work on a Tesla. From my understanding, it's not up to tesla who becomes approved/ certified in any given location.

I'm having to take mine in to Car Crafters locally, who only have 3 people certified because that's all Car crafters sent to get certified, out of 4 locations.