Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla dashboard design team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always had problems seeing the "traditional dash" on every car I have owned. To me, it's much better to move the data out from behind the steering wheel.

Even though I don't have as much problem, but I usually have to adjust the position of the steering wheel to see the entire instrument panel rather than my most comfortable driving position.

I don't think the floating dash is going away, but I do think we will see some sort of display in the driver's line of sight for the AP UI. I think a driver minimally needs three displays for most driving scenarios: 1) the AP UI, 2) Nav and 3) media player. The current horizontal display has room for two side-by-side displays. I can see the nav and media being relegated to the center display, but I cannot see not having the AP UI line of sight--it seems like poor ergonomics to have to look off the side to check sensors, see warnings, etc.

Then there will be a decent market for 3rd-party instrument panels...

I think we should all give it a chance before writing it off. Some dislike the idea just because it is so different from what we are used to.

I begin to think that the eye travel from the road to the left upper corner of the landscape screen is less than from the road to our typical instrument cluster. But this requires a test drive to confirm. At least, I would not jump to a conclusion without a test drive.

Any 3rd party instrument would like look quite ugly, though there is plenty of space in the dashboard for that. :)

That they didn't tell us everything. Why would they, 18+ months before the car is ready. Come September 2017, we'll see the rest of the puzzle.

I find it funny that we're saying one must have AP UI and audio/media right in front of the driver, given that it's probably been less than 20 years since audio/media showed up there, but if I was going for the cool factor, AP information in the HUD, as augmented reality (outline of the car being tracked is drawn right on top of the car you see) would be awesome...

Reactions: nd4spd569
I am doing a rough estimate because we don't know the exact position of the screen.
But by my calculation, the eye travel from the road ahead to a traditional analog speedometer can be up to 30% longer than to the left upper corner of the screen.

0LzIIJz.jpg

tesla-model-3-first-ride-010-1020.0.0.jpg

Its a matter of opinion. The Mercedes example you used looks cluttered and dated to me.
Completely agree Tesla's reason for being minimalistic with buttons and levers is so that they can change the way equipment operates on the vehicle with a simple software update of the internet. As Bunky said that Mercedes looks extremely cluttered. I believe that Tesla is pushing more toward Autopilot where the driver will just be sitting like the passenger most of the time. It has already been stated by the company that full autonomous driving is expected to be ready by the time the Model 3 is in production.

Reactions: Bunky
[QUOTE="I do too, but I'm thinking that even if Tesla doesn't provide that, it wouldn't be that hard to make an aftermarket binacle that mounts in front of the steering wheel and provides speed, range, and a minimal set of essential driver information."[/QUOTE]. Kinda like a '65 Mustang Rally-Pac installation:
image.jpeg

Honestly I don't see what the majority of the hullabaloo is about; I don't think twice about the location of info in my 2nd gen Prius and I had no problems with the 2013 Leaf I leased. I spend nearly ally time driving using the Basic Speed Law.

Tesla must include a few push buttons (like the hazard indicator since it must be available as long as there's battery power) because of federal law. I read through some of the regulations and saw nothing that required placement in front of the driver so we'll see what Tesla comes up with and Like many of you I'll roll with it. A HUD would be cheaper but a small purpose-built steering wheel or dash "pod" is much cheaper and only requires power, grounding and an interface connection.