Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Wave!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently took delivery of my Model Y and wasn’t prepared for all the head turning as your driving by people or other cars driving right next to you for long periods of time staring and also a convo starter at every parking lot. One thing that stood out to me was the wave as you pass another Tesla. One driver even went as far as rolling his window down and making sure I seen his wave lol. I think it’s rly cool and something I can get behind. For all you waiting on deliveries, it’s so worth it!!

cheers!

When I travel to small towns I noticed the people look at my car a little longer than if I were to drive in the city.

I wave if if it's just me and another Tesla on the other side of the road.

It's part of the fun of owning a Tesla!

Reactions: Wonderland
I hear ya! Alberta deliveries have been so slow! i got mine from the Edmonton center btw.

@Wonderland I gather there must not be at on of MY in Edmonton? Around here in the greater-Vancouver area, M3 and MY are everywhere. You'd have to have some funky visual mods to turn a lot of heads these days. I know for the 8 or 9 months or so between our first test drive and the time when we took delivery, my head was on a constant swivel staring at MY's while I was out and about, but I suspect I'm in the minority. And now that there's one in our garage, my neck is finally getting some rest.

@Wonderland I gather there must not be at on of MY in Edmonton? Around here in the greater-Vancouver area, M3 and MY are everywhere. You'd have to have some funky visual mods to turn a lot of heads these days. I know for the 8 or 9 months or so between our first test drive and the time when we took delivery, my head was on a constant swivel staring at MY's while I was out and about, but I suspect I'm in the minority. And now that there's one in our garage, my neck is finally getting some rest.
My neck hasn't gotten any rest since my first Tesla. I still have to look at it three or four times after getting out of it. They just look great. :)

FYI, motorcyclists wave at each other probably 90% of the time when they pass. It might just be 2 fingers up on the handlebars or a hand facing out by the side of the body. It does engender a sense of community. Look carefully next time you see two motorcyclists passing each other and you'll see what I mean. (I'm a former m/c rider.)

Reactions: Wonderland
Yea not very many Tesla’s let alone model y’s in Edmonton. I see the odd one from time to time and get excited lol.
But I heard the greater Vancouver area has the most Tesla’s in North America 🤭🤭 wow!!

I always wave when I notice another Tesla driver in time. It's great fun haha! I find I get more reply-waves from 3/Y owners, and fewer from S/X owners.
I hear ya! Alberta deliveries have been so slow! i got mine from the Edmonton center btw.
Does that mean the Edmonton service centre is up and running? Last I heard there were rumours of it going in the old Infiniti building.

I always wave when I notice another Tesla driver in time. It's great fun haha! I find I get more reply-waves from 3/Y owners, and fewer from S/X owners.

Does that mean the Edmonton service centre is up and running? Last I heard there were rumours of it going in the old Infiniti building.
The showroom is open and they are accepting deliveries, however the service center is under construction.

Reactions: int32_t and Vawlkus
Ah the fun of being new to Tesla family and a rare sight! Got to experience that for a bit here but Silicon Valley and even our town has so many Teslas driving around no one bothers to wave any more. I will say that despite that a really cool moment was when I came to a three way stop and the first car in each direction was a Tesla, only to be beat with a four way stop I guess. Wait until you do a driving meet up with a local Tesla group. That’s a fun sharing experience too and great way to get out in your car and see the country (or even if just a local coffee and Tesla get together). Fun to see what others did to customize their car and great to share tips and share resources. Always found Supercharger locations with friendly owners as well. Welcome to TMC as well.

I get a LOT of stares when out in mine and I get a lot of non-Tesla drivers waving when I go by. Other Teslas here are not a common sight at all. I'm in Trenton, Ontario, about an hour and a half out of the GTA. It's not a big town and it's mostly military people here due to CFB Trenton. There's a TON of Challengers, Mustangs and BMWs here which isn't a big surprise considering the demographic that is stationed here lol.

I'm out driving daily and maybe see another Model 3 every 2-3 days. Model Y and Model S maybe once a week and hardly ever see the Model X. When I see them, I'm definitely the guy initiating the wave... but I'd say 75% of the time I don't get one in return.

Oh well, I get my fun from dusting the Challengers, Mustangs and BMW's in town 😂

That being said, there's a Supercharger in Belleville, the next town down from me and I love driving by there just to see what's stopped there at that particular time.

I was really expecting other Tesla owners to be a friendlier group, but I've found that pretty much everyone at the Superchargers just keeps to themselves.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Yea not very many Tesla’s let alone model y’s in Edmonton. I see the odd one from time to time and get excited lol.
But I heard the greater Vancouver area has the most Tesla’s in North America 🤭🤭 wow!!

@Wonderland I don't think we're #1--that's likely the Silicon Valley area, or maybe LA or something. But we must be a pretty close 2nd or 3rd? Top 5 for sure.

I get a LOT of stares when out in mine and I get a lot of non-Tesla drivers waving when I go by. Other Teslas here are not a common sight at all. I'm in Trenton, Ontario, about an hour and a half out of the GTA. It's not a big town and it's mostly military people here due to CFB Trenton. There's a TON of Challengers, Mustangs and BMWs here which isn't a big surprise considering the demographic that is stationed here lol.

I'm out driving daily and maybe see another Model 3 every 2-3 days. Model Y and Model S maybe once a week and hardly ever see the Model X. When I see them, I'm definitely the guy initiating the wave... but I'd say 75% of the time I don't get one in return.

Oh well, I get my fun from dusting the Challengers, Mustangs and BMW's in town 😂

That being said, there's a Supercharger in Belleville, the next town down from me and I love driving by there just to see what's stopped there at that particular time.

I was really expecting other Tesla owners to be a friendlier group, but I've found that pretty much everyone at the Superchargers just keeps to themselves.
We love visiting Belleville , Trenton and Sandbanks. I do notice more stares at our car when we visit these towns as opposed to where we live (Vaughan area). Tesla's are now very common in our area now so no one really waves to each other. But when I head out to your area, I make it a point to wave and most of the time I get a wave back lol.

Agreed on the Belleville supercharger, everyone keeps to themselves I've noticed as well. I'm thinking maybe due to the size of the supercharger (20 stall) and cars try to separate from each other to avoid stall sharing. Though, I must say charging rates I've experienced there sucks lol. Max I've seen it go is ~ 90 KW with 8% battery. I would get ~123 KW at port hope with the same SOC (sorry, I know not related to this post lol)

Though, I must say charging rates I've experienced there sucks lol. Max I've seen it go is ~ 90 KW with 8% battery. I would get ~123 KW at port hope with the same SOC (sorry, I know not related to this post lol)
Actually this is an interesting comment. I've never had an issue at this charger getting around 120kW, but about a week ago, there was another Model 3 there and he moved stalls 3 times while I was sitting at mine. Asked him what was going on and he said he was getting nowhere near the kW that he should be. I guess the third time was a charm. He was a really nice guy from Markham and one of the very few long conversations I've had at that SC.

• Informative
Reactions: Shaz