Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The ultimate road trip vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to upgrade to a new Tesla and I'd like it to be the ultimate road trip car. Here are some obvious things I want to maximize and what that means for my choice:
- range
S100D.
- passenger space
Perhaps the X would be better for this? Maybe the 7-seat configuration?
- cargo space
Argues for the X, as towing a trailer is potentially an excellent option to have. But no roof box.
- toughness/versatility
Clearly dual motor and 19" wheels. CHAdeMO adapter. Oddball charging adapters? Hitch? Roof rack?
- automation
EAP and FSD, for what FSD will mean in the future.
- comfort
Good sound system. Air filtration. Cold weather package. Seats? Quiet tires? Sunroof?

And I want to minimize ongoing costs so free supercharging is clearly a good thing, which currently means buying before the end of the year.

Agree? Disagree? What else matters? Any third party things of particular interest? XPEL or other paint protection? Glass tinting?

Any strong feeling on whether an S or an X is a better choice? An S has better range and can take a roof box as extra storage, while an X can tow something to provide more storage. Would the X P100D be preferable because towing might need greater power?

I have had 3 different Model S and one Model X. Right now there is no comparison between the X and the S. The S is better in almost every way. Quieter cabin, less road noise, Doors always work, Power consumption is significantly lower (100 Watts per mile), and performance is better. If you have the means to get an S P100D, I believe it to be one of the finest cars ever built. If you can get it with AutoPilot 1 even better. The head room and cabin volume is better in the X, but that’s about it in my opinion.

Xpel on the hood, mirrors, fenders can never hurt, and tinted windows help significantly with cabin comfort driving in the hot sun.

Reactions: arcus and kavyboy
I agree that the S is a road trip beast. My 85D swallows whatever I put into it. With a bike rack mounted into the Ecohitch which I added, my wife and I can easily load it up to tackle Mammoth's Memorial Day Weekend ski, golf, and mountain bike trifecta.

Go 100D, make sure you get one with the low-rolling-resistance, M + S tires, and you'll be good to go for Tahoe and beyond!

Reactions: arcus