Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Volt is dead, long live the Volt!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The saddest part about this whole thing is that a lot of people will lose their jobs. No matter how I feel about GM's strategies and lack of innovation, you never want to see people lose work.

Volt just isn't selling well, Toyota has them beat in the hybrid market. With lower priced Model 3's becoming a reality, they know their market share will shrink even further. GM should not have been anti-selling their Bolt so much.

Reactions: BestHand
GM has LONG made bad decisions about what to build.
They and Ford are going to be screwed relying on truck and SUV sales next time gas spikes, deja vu all over again.

My wife is on her second Impala both were great cars, but the current one was pushed into what should have remained a Buick Cadillac segment.

I will mourn the Volt not because I owned one, but because it was an instrumental vehicle in introducing the public to the possibilities of owning an EV. A lot of M3 owners are previous Volt owners. I bought a Leaf because at the time the Volt was $5K more, but had I waited I probably would have got a Volt instead and still be driving it! I own an M3 LR RWD now, but that would have been pushed back a few years if the Volt had come out cheaper. There are probably many places in the the world where a Volt still makes more sense than an M3. So are the fortunes of EVs.

Last edited:
Former Gen 1 Volt (and Spark. EV) owner here: my first “domestic” car was the Volt, my second “domestic” (imported from Korea) was the Spark EV. I think Chevy’s dealerships tried their best NOT to sell these cars, and they everything in their power to try to get me into an ICE car instead. The failure of the Volt, IMHO, is squarely on the shoulders of the GM management who were half-a$$ed on their commitment to the Voltec technology. I would have taken the Volt drivetrain in an SUV/CUV form, which I think would have reduced the EV only range but given the Volt much broader audience.

It was the Volt & Spark EV that convinced me Tesla is the way to go.

Former Gen 1 Volt (and Spark. EV) owner here: my first “domestic” car was the Volt, my second “domestic” (imported from Korea) was the Spark EV. I think Chevy’s dealerships tried their best NOT to sell these cars, and they everything in their power to try to get me into an ICE car instead. The failure of the Volt, IMHO, is squarely on the shoulders of the GM management who were half-a$$ed on their commitment to the Voltec technology. I would have taken the Volt drivetrain in an SUV/CUV form, which I think would have reduced the EV only range but given the Volt much broader audience.

It was the Volt & Spark EV that convinced me Tesla is the way to go.

I went into the closest Chevy to see what a Bolt looked like...not only did they not have one, they said they would never sell a Bolt or Volt, would never service one, and if I wanted one I'd have to drive to a dealership 60 miles away. Turns out they were lying and the next closest dealer had Volts (no Bolts yet...but at least they'd consider ordering one)...but they were so dedicated to avoiding the whole electric business it was disgusting. Rude to boot.

I went into the closest Chevy to see what a Bolt looked like...not only did they not have one, they said they would never sell a Bolt or Volt, would never service one, and if I wanted one I'd have to drive to a dealership 60 miles away. Turns out they were lying and the next closest dealer had Volts (no Bolts yet...but at least they'd consider ordering one)...but they were so dedicated to avoiding the whole electric business it was disgusting. Rude to boot.
This is almost exactly what happened to me. Went into a dealership in Boise, ID to try and see a Volt or Bolt (or get on a list to see one when they got one in) and they told me to go to Oregon or California, but to come back when I was ready to buy a truck or SUV. They literally yelled that as we were walking out the door. LOL. I've bought two Teslas since then. That was my first time in a Chevy dealership and will never step foot in one again.

Yet now GM is claiming "we're laying off 15,000 employees to move our business to EV and SUVs" what a bunch of horse feces! They could have actually tried with the Volt and Bolt! The Volt was a good car. It got no advertising or backing from GM or the dealers. Now what are they going to push on their supposed drive to EVs???

These guys actually deserve to have their lunch eaten by Tesla. They have NO VISION! With all the resources they have at their disposal they've done next to nothing.

Last edited:
This is the Model 3 forum. I’ve asked the moderators to move this thread to the correct forum at
Electric Vehicles

That's a forum with nowhere near the visibility. The Volt was a pioneer and deserves its due. There won't be any more Volt threads ever in the future so let the old man have his last five minutes.

I have 9 months of ownership left on my Volt lease. I bet the market value will be devastating compared to the remaining residual.

My story is similar to jmsurpri. I have a 2012 Volt with almost 100k miles - one oil change, one set of tires, 0% battery degradation (actually gets about 2 more miles than when new). I bought it because I needed the HOV lane, and it had just enough range to get to work, charge, and get home w/o gas...perfect vehicle to get my feet wet in the EV world. As he said, I also wanted more electric range after realizing that life with an EV was more than just possible, it was better. The money I saved on fuel paid for the Volt, and led me to by a model S. My wife still drives the Volt daily, and she is also unlikely to ever return to a full ICE vehicle (more likely a model 3).
It is sad to me, since GM seemed to try to publicize the unique Volt evolution, and even had owner events in the early days of ownership. However, gas prices stabilized, and despite their 5-10 year investment in battery laboratories, vehicle development, etc., GM chose the easier path and started to ignore the Volt. The 2nd gen did not offer enough improvements to increase sales, and the new Bolt was presented more as a replacement instead of a step forward...but GM has never been known for smart marketing decisions with new technology...RIP, Volt.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf and V__2
One benefit to the low resale price of used Volts in great condition will be many folks looking to spend less on a used vehicle may well consider a used Volt instead of a Honda Civic or similar vehicle, and gain entry into the EV world, where they might not have been able to do so before. Same situation for young / new drivers (especially those with a Volt already in the household)...so the unintended consequence might be another new group of car owners converting over to EVs after experiencing life with a Volt.

Sad. It's a great car for teenage kids - inexpensive when purchased used, serves as a nice introduction to environmentally responsive transport, and yet remains highly functional when they go off to college and don't have easy access on-campus electrical charging.
That's almost an exact description of the young guy I sold my Volt to when I got my 3. He was thrilled!!

Another Gen 1 Volt owner here. Had a lease in 2013 then once that ended in 2017 drove 600 miles to purchase the exact same year, color and equipment vehicle but at ~45% of residual (Volt was ~45k lease, ~32K residual, my replacement Volt was purchased ~15k out the door with ~22k miles on it). The car runs great. Had a rather major issue with AC system (cools battery and cabin) that required dash removal (~3k worth of work) but was a warranty issue due to 8 year battery warranty. Love the car, think Gen 1 was better looking and better equipped than gen 2 as GM tried to lower price of Gen 2 by making it look even more like a cheap Chevy.

Once, hopefully in Dec, get my Model 3, will sell the Volt to a friend as I know Volt is a solid, well engineered car but unfortunately it had the Chevy name on it so for its price was very hard sell. In S Florida there are only a handful for sale, I think many owners will hold on to the car as it allowed you 99% electric driving with 0% range anxiety with the gas generator onboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP